iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got tired of sitting outside the principles office /ottoman

Started by jamesamd, November 16, 2011, 08:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesamd

Since moving to Our new home 6 years ago I've been sitting in a generic office chair,with another as a leg rest.I always heard that the "morris chair" was the most comfortable for reading and sleeping.Searching the Net for a design I liked was tedious and uninspiring to say the least.Until I added "cherry wood to My search!Thats when I found this chair,made by a craftsman called Brian Brace from NC.
This is a pic of His design.

I loved it but felt it was a little to square so I drew My own design and here it is.It is all solid cherry except the arms.I have steam at My job but that did not work to My satisfaction so I was forced to laminate the arms with 3 pieces of stock.
My biggest disappointment was near the end as I loosley assembled the chair on the basement floor to take measurements for the cussions,My eyes crossed,I had made 2 right arms.DANG!
Get back to work Dude and get it left this time!
I bought a american bison hide for the cussions tobacco brown,I belive.I should have enough leather for the ottoman as well .I am just getting started on that now.Gonna be a little tough to match the chair style but whatever I come-up with,will be the best I can do.Thanks in advance for any and all kind words but I've got work to do.:D
On a sad note,I wish old Tom could have seen this project,sometimes I could feel His eyes sparkle as He wrote.RIP big man!  Jim
Checking backrest fit

The tree is floating in the side to prevent splitting

Bottom siderail check

floating fit,I am happy D: ready to glue

getting ready to glue-up and then fit the arms

Done,3/4 front shot.

Leftside tree close-up

Double tenon detail,wedged with walnut.

Full leftside .

High front shot.

Done deal,with the ottoman
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

T Welsh

jamesamd,Excellent work,I like the tree touch in the design and your mortise and tenon joints look good. Tim

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

Jasperfield

Very nice!

Are you going to make a whole deck-full of them, or just one?

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

blaze83

nicely done 8)

i love the tree design also very unique
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

metalspinner

Notice the tree under the clamp.  The grain flows around the crotch!

The tree is a really neat design feature.  I can see that in all of the living room furniture.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

CHARLIE

That is some fine woodworking.  I've never tried to make a chair and I'll tell you why. I have a fear of trying to get all those pieces glued up and clamped straight before the glue starts setting up. ;D  I like the through double tenons too.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

WildDog

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

thecfarm

Might just as well make another one, you have one arm done all ready for it.  ;D  That sure does look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Very nice chair James. That's really nice cherry to.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sprucegum

8) Love those trees!  8)

My Grandpa had a chair like that, each arm was a box lid that you could open and find cigar clips, pipe cleaners, tobacco, keys, jack knives......treasures of all kinds.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

James,

The chair is beautiful.

Did you create a plan for it or just work it out as you went? If you made up a plan I'd be interested in getting it so I could try to make one as nice as yours...

Herb

hackberry jake

Awesome chair... sure make mine look like shop class projects.  :D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on November 16, 2011, 08:58:02 PM
What a beautiful chair!  I live the trees!

Danny, I'm not sure if this was a typo or not, but either way, I think the way it came out was more appropriate ;D

Oh, and the chair is fantastic. Excellent work :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WildDog

QuoteAwesome chair... sure make mine look like shop class projects.

Nothing wrong with them mate, my wife has been after me to make a couple of adirondak chairs for the verandah, I am researching dresser/planers at the moment.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Patty

WOW!  :o

That is one of the most beautiful chairs I have ever seen. Good job!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ibseeker

Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

bedway

jamesamd

Thank You All!
I put in lot of effort and had a lot of fearful moments making some of the cuts but now thanks to Ya'all,I'm feeling like a rooster at dawn ;D
I will post the drawings when I get them sorted.
Thanks again,I just LOVE this forum,so DanG much shared!
Jim

WDH

I have posted once already, but I have to say (again), "That chair rocks!!!".

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WDH on November 18, 2011, 10:09:20 PM
I have posted once already, but I have to say (again), "That chair rocks!!!".

Danny,

Nope, it doesn't rock but it does recline...

On the other hand it really looks classic to me.

Herb

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

jamesamd

I added drawings per request.Any questions,I will surely be happy to help.
Jim ;D

Piston

Great Job James!

I am continually amazed at what some of you guys can build....
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

woodsteach

great looking chair... can't wait to see the cushions and ottoman
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

isawlogs

Outstanding chair  :) :)  It is also one of the best lookin' chair I have yet to see.  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jamesamd

Finished chair is in first post.
Thanks for all the kind replys,peeps.
Jim

WDH

Lud

Very nice!  Like the tree design.   I'm afraid to show this thread to my wife as I owe her a batch of chairs! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

scsmith42

James, that is way cool! (and very inspiring).

Thanks for sharing.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!