iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy saying hello

Started by Riggs, November 16, 2011, 05:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

I'm not sure if I'm starting this in the right place, but I just wanted to say hello.
I'm just getting into this, getting ready to buy a band mill, and selectively harvest some of my property.
I won't pester you guys much, I mostly read and learn. Seems like there is a wealth of knowledge here. Anyways, thanks for having me.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Texas Ranger

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya, ask away we got some pretty smart folks with a lot of experience here, and some of em (not me, not a miller) can answer most anything you ask.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF!!  TR said it best.

Which make and model mill are you considering?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Riggs.

As mentioned, there's a wealth of information here.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

doctorb

Like the others said...a hearty welcome to the FF.  Ask anything you like.  You'll be surprised at the depth of answers you'll receive.  A great place.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Riggs

Wow, thanks for the welcomes,

Quote from: fishpharmer on November 16, 2011, 05:20:03 PM
Welcome to FF!!  TR said it best.

Which make and model mill are you considering?

Going to buy a Norwood, havent decided which model yet.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Warbird

CHARLIE

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Riggs! 8)  Yep there is a lot of Sawyer knowledge here, but there is also just a lot of nice people. It's like a family.  Pull up a nail keg, sit down and join us. :)  Also, I sure hope you like Grits. That is an important subject on the Forestry Forum. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Magicman

Yes, this is a very good place for an introduction.  You will find everyone interested in helping and advising you regarding your future sawmill interest.  Again, Welcome.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Riggs welcome aboard. We like being pestered with talk and photos. Magic Man can tell you where you can buy the best Grits. bg

fat olde elf

Hey Riggs !  Welcome ! Always glad to see another NC sawyer on the Forum. I'm sending you a  personal message.  PER
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

WildDog

G'day from down under Riggs. Don't worry about pestering us, ask away :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

thecfarm

Riggs,welcome to the forum. We love to be pestered. Alot of times your questions will help others. What kind of wood you got? What are you building? How are you getting the logs out. Ever been around a mill before? I won't ask about the grits.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moosehunter

Riggs,
Welcome to the forum!
I started out with a Norwood. Good people to deal with.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Riggs

Quote from: thecfarm on November 17, 2011, 06:27:23 AM
Riggs,welcome to the forum. We love to be pestered. Alot of times your questions will help others. What kind of wood you got? What are you building? How are you getting the logs out. Ever been around a mill before? I won't ask about the grits.  ;D

I have 50 acres give or take, mostly poplar & oak with some maple & hickory sprinkled in. I am just hoping to finish my barn for now. I'll be using my tractor for the logs. I used to offbear in my teenage years, so I know the basics. Grits ??? y'all have got me scared to ask... ???

Norwood ML 26

clww

Wecome to the Forestry Forum, Riggs!
Lots of good information shared here, and a family-friendly site, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ms Meadows Miller

millwright

Welcome to the forum, theres a lot of information here, by the way what are grits?

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

It is something that us Yankees make fun of Southern people eating.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Riggs

I've never been north of the Mason Dixon line, but I've never had the stomach for grits.  :-\

I am good friends with some folks from Maine, they say they live North of the Yankees... ???

Norwood ML 26

blaze83

hello Riggs,

greetings from Ohio, like many of us here, I think you will gain a lot of satisfaction milling your own lumber,  and remember.....we love pictures 8)

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Ms Meadows Miller

GRITS! LOL. Girls Raised In The South! :D

AvT

Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Yo...Riggs. Welcome aboard!

Grits ain't bad. Just don't let none of the northern sawyers talk ya into eat'n some of that stuff Jeff and Magic eat. I forgot what cha call it but I seen a picture of it. Yuck!

Anyway, you'll have a ball on here and learn a lot to boot. Lots and lots of knowledgeable people.

Welcome again,

David / down below ya in South Carolina

P.S. Things I've learned:
1. How to put pictures on here.
2. What pictures not to put on here.
3. I should put a new beeper on my debarked.
4. Logrite handles DON'T bend.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!