iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WHISKEY

Started by Texas Ranger, November 16, 2011, 11:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

WHISKEY

In 1952, Armon M. Sweat, Jr., a member of the Texas House of Representatives, was asked about his position on whiskey. What follows is his exact answer (taken from the Political Archives of Texas):

"If you mean whiskey, the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean that evil drink that topples Christian men and women from the pinnacles of righteous and gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, shame, despair, helplessness, and hopelessness, then, my friend, I am opposed to it with every fiber of my being.

However, if by whiskey you mean the lubricant of conversation, the philosophic juice, the elixir of life, the liquid that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer, the stimulating sip that puts a little spring in the step of an elderly gentleman on a frosty morning; if you mean that drink that enables man to magnify his joy, and to forget life's great tragedies and heartbreaks and sorrow; if you mean that drink the sale of which pours into Texas treasuries untold millions of dollars each year, that provides tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitifully aged and infirm, to build the finest highways, hospitals, universities, and community colleges in this nation, then my friend, I am absolutely, unequivocally in favor of it.

This is my position, and as always, I refuse to compromise on matters of principle."

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Kansas

The first paragraph is what you feel the morning after. The second paragraph is what you feel the night before.

sawguy21

A glass of good whiskey is a special treat and a great way to bond with a person of like mind. Of course taken in moderation.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Banjo picker

He was a true blue politician...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Texas Ranger

Texas is famous for his kind. 8)

JV

One of my favorite movie scenes was Charles Durning doing "Dance a Little Sidestep".  Most politicians are master of "double-speak."
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Piston

I'm for it.  ;D

.... Just as long as it isn't ruined with mixers.  ;)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Sprucegum

When I first learned to weld I welded a bottle of Whiskey into a piece of pipe and gave it to my Father for Christmas. He kept it on his shelf for over 30 years. At his wake I opened the bottle and we all toasted his passing - that was goood whiskey.

Banjo picker

I need a picture.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Norm

What a great idea Sprucegum.  :)

Sprucegum

No picture Tim, it all happened when Kodak was just a kid with crayons.

I bought a whiskey that came in a smooth round bottle and cut a length of sched 40 pipe 1" longer than the bottle. I cut some hearts and diamonds and the date into the sides of the pipe so you could see the bottle inside. I then welded a solid cap on the bottom, inserted the bottle and very carefully welded a solid cap on the top, and there you have it  :D

Piston

Sprucegum,
That was such a great idea.  ;)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Sprucegum

Over the years lots of guys came up with lots of bright ideas about how to get the whiskey out of the pipe but Dad declined them all.

Banjo picker

That exp. was about as good as a pic.  thanks.... Tim

sandhills

For a wedding gift my wife and I got a bottle of Crown Royal with a congratulations and our names and the date we were married printed on the label.  Not sure when that bottle will be tapped but it will be a special anniversary when it is.

isawlogs

How could I have missed this ....  ::)   A nice glass of whiskey on spring made rocks.  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Texas Ranger

Sure would like to share that with ya, Marcel.

isawlogs

Tex... That'dll be easy enough, take a road trip , head out north east  ;D  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Texas Ranger

Gonna happen some day, got kinfolk up on PEI.

mandolin

You can't beat good ol' Southern Comfort
2008 Hudson 228
1945 Boice-Crane Planer
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Dehumidification kiln
Complete cabinet/furniture shop
Professional turkey boxcall tuner

LeeB

I'm sorry, but I do have to disagree. My good buddy Jack says you are all wrong.  ;D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Ahead of SC and Jack, I'd prefer sipping on VG (Virginia Gentleman), JTS Brown, Ezra Brooks, and Wild Turkey.   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Jack is my go to, But i really like Woodford Reserve.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Todd

My father likes to sample different whiskeys, and has gotten a few nice bottles recently.  Christmas night, while the family was gathered at the parents house, my father and 2 brothers were by his chair sampling some and trying to discern the subtle differences.  He had opened his bottle of Johnny Walker Blue, a Johnny Walker Green, and a 20 year old Glenfiddich.  I told him my palette was wasted on them, but I dutifully sipped a little from the Blue..(very smooth) the Green (a little harsher finishing) and the Glenfiddich (kind of creamy, aged in old sherry casks).  We call my better half over to sample, and she politely declines at first but is egged on into trying.  She takes the glass with about 1 1/2 oz. of Blue in it and throws it back like a shot!  (probably a $40 shot!)
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Piston

I like Gentlemen Jack the best out of all the Jack's.  I had a bottle of Single Barrel that I didn't complain about, but I still find that I like the mid grade Gentlemen Jack better.
-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!