iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log on fire after 1st board

Started by T Welsh, November 15, 2011, 09:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

OK Guys, Got your attention now ;D

Anybody know what type of wood this is. I never encountered one that was big enough to saw,till we did a storm damage clean up for a canoe company and this guy had to be winched from the river. good guessing! Tim

GAmillworker

WOW

Havent seen anything like that.

Looking foward to someone telling us what it is.

Thanks for sharing.
Thank the Lord for second chances

chevytaHOE5674

Nice looking board.

I spy a Case IH tractor there... What model is it? Looks just like my dads 695 only smaller.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

Magic beat me to it!

I'm always on the lookout for box elder.  The same beetle that turns soft maple green (Ambrosia) turns box red.  You will notice a little pin hole in the center of each of the red streaks.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Kinda like this, if you want fire.   :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ARKANSAWYER

OOOHHH! nice box elder.
  Magic them is some nice boards.
ARKANSAWYER

Banjo picker

I know where there is a couple of those on the state ROW...they better not start leaning towards the road...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

5quarter

All box elder has that red in it. The larger the tree, generally, the more red. too bad most of it fades with time and exposure. last couple years Ive been cutting and burning as much as I can, but it grows fast! I've read somewhere that you can tap boxelder for syrup-making, though I recall that it should never be mixed with other maples, as the taste is distinctive.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

paul case

WOW

smiley_book2_page smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bandmill Bandit

Can you ship me a load of them. I have a Canadian buyer for fireplace mantals that would die to have those in their inventory.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

mrcaptainbob

Does immediately sealing the surfaces hold those colors? Or do they fade regardless?

thechknhwk

Quote from: mrcaptainbob on November 15, 2011, 11:25:46 PM
Does immediately sealing the surfaces hold those colors? Or do they fade regardless?

On sawmill creek they recommend sealing it with some sort of UV protectant or it is susceptible to fade.  I cannot recall what it is off the top of my head.

5quarter

Finishes will slow the fading, but won't stop it. The trick is to dry it fast and in the dark. after about 3 months, 4/4 lumber will be at about 12% mc. There will be some boards where the red has faded to light orange. pull those and plane them both sides and you'll see some of the red come back. Spray them with a coat of clear sealer and leave them in the shop and forget about them for 6-8 months. after that you can use them. you guys can pm me for some other tricks I use to keep the color.

Tim...great looking log, btw.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

thechknhwk

The ones I have in my garage have faded to pink, but I splashed some water on them to show my cousin and it came right back to as bright as it was the day I sawed it.  I assumed it would do the same when applying a clear coat like polyurethane?

Kansas

The ceiling in my house is box elder. It was sprayed with a couple of coats of sealer. After two years, the red is starting to dissapear.

T Welsh

chevytaHOE5674,Its a Case 385 4wd /2250 loader. That didnt take long. MM hit it right on the nose. It was a poor quality log and you guys are right it started to fade almost right away. has shake in it and I dont think I will keep it the owner of the canoe co saw the end grain while we where winching it from the launch area and made a comment about sawing it up. so I got around to playing with stuff(did it right after 1/4 sawn sycamore)I also put a small walnut on the mill for a gun club and hit 2 nails after 2 cuts. I stopped playing around and called it a day and yes it was a new blade >:( Tim

SwampDonkey

Water based varathane with UV protectant will hold the color from the point that it gets finished. It's a very hard finish to. But the air and light will change it some before the finish is applied.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

Part of the fun is the contrast between the white and red.  Using a water borne finish or lacquer will keep the white from becomng yellow, at least initially.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: 5quarter on November 15, 2011, 09:50:05 PM
  All box elder has that red in it. The larger the tree, generally, the more red. too bad most of it fades with time and exposure. last couple years Ive been cutting and burning as much as I can, but it grows fast! I've read somewhere that you can tap boxelder for syrup-making, though I recall that it should never be mixed with other maples, as the taste is distinctive.

Around here they consider box elder to be no better than a dandelion.  Most farmers cut them down and leave them in the fencerow to rot. 

I tap 20-25 large box elders in my backyard every spring.  The early syrup is extremely good and tastes like a cross between butterscotch and honey.  The later syrup is more like molasses in color and taste.  I often mix in sap from some other maples I have as well and the end result is just as good. 

SwampDonkey

Very few would consider it here as well. It's non native here in NB, but it's invasive along the river valley and in unkept back yards.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Banjo picker

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on November 16, 2011, 09:34:54 AM
[Around here they consider box elder to be no better than a dandelion.  Most farmers cut them down and leave them in the fencerow to rot. 

Not highly thought of here either...have been told that a box elder would put a good fire out... Don't need to make fire wood...need to make boards evidently...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

davey duck

Nice Box Elder boards,here in New York they do not seem to get that big.
David G.Fleming

jueston

its considered invasive here, i did a little brush clearing and firewood chopping for a small land owner and he told me he wanted all the box elder cut down and left with the brush... he didn't seem to think it was good for burning either.... i don't know anything about that, i've never tried to burn it...

Thank You Sponsors!