iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Really dumb question

Started by joejkd, November 15, 2011, 08:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joejkd

how exactly are bucking spikes or saw dogs used and what are they for?

Kevin

They are used to lock the saw to the tree or log so you can pivot the bar and not carry the weight of the saw with your arms.
Your cuts will also be true when you use the spikes properly.
If you aren't using them you should start.

trapper

Not so dumb.  I have been cutting for firewood years and knew about the swivel part but explain about the keeping cut true part please.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Kevin

When the spikes are locked into the wood it allows the bar to sweep through the wood straight and true, all you do is line up the bar where you want the sweep to occur.
I had a Husqvarna 262 that didn't have dogs and I found a set, modified them and put them on.
They are very handy when making the bottom cut on a humboldt or when bucking a large log.

John Mc

Quote from: Kevin on November 16, 2011, 08:43:58 AM
I had a Husqvarna 262 that didn't have dogs and I found a set, modified them and put them on.
They are very handy when making the bottom cut on a humboldt or when bucking a large log.

Funny... my Jonsered 2152 came with dogs and I replaced it with a flat "bumper bar" (my name for it. I have no idea what Jonsered calls it.)  The dogs took up some of the usable bar length, and just got in the way or caught small branches when limbing. I also found they slowed my bucking by hanging up in the log as the saw was feeding through the cut. I know I could pull the saw out of the cut to avoid this, but without the spikes, I don't have to pull at all, I just let the bumper bar ride down the bark of the log.

For me anyway, when cutting smallish logs (rougly 12" and under) with a smaller saw, about the only use for the dogs was as a "dull chain over-ride". Since I like to keep my chains sharp, the dogs were more of a nuisance than a help.

When using a larger saw in larger hardwoods, I have found the dogs useful at times. I imagine the dogs are just about indispensable when cutting large wood (not a whole lot of that on my land).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ianab

As the guys have suggested, it becomes more of an issue as the saw, bar and tree become bigger.

Small saw in 12" trees, meh, you can just freehand it.

Start waving a 30" bar at 50" trees, trying to do that first uphill cut of your open face notch becomes a bit of a mission. Hold the saw at the right height, keep it level, cutting at the right angle, and THEN cut upwards (accurately) into the cut? Beyond the skills of this mere mortal  :-\ :D

But set the dogs into the tree where you want the end of the notch to be, and it stays there. Now you can concentrate on getting the saw level, at the right angle. Once things are lined up, hit the gas, and swivel the saw on the dogs, up into the cut. As you set the dogs in the right place, they stay there until you cut to the bottom of your notch. Repeat from the other side if needed, than set them again and make the downward part of the notch.

It's roughly 1,000 times easier than trying to simply hold a heavy saw in place and make the cuts freehand.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

On my MS361 20" bar, I use the dogs as Ian described and don't really notice that they are there.
Don't have a problem bucking and they don't get caught on the bark when making the cut (that I have ever noticed since they point slightly up).
Working up limbs and tops, mostly just use the 2/3 of the bar tip and seldom ever at the back of the bar.

But, wouldn't be without them. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Never had an issue with the dogs here neither. The only issue I've had is a real sharp chain on an under powered saw. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Seem like when I bought my first 372 Husky it came with the smooth dogs. The guy was kinda of a know it all arm chair logger.Told me I did not need them. I told him I was not buying it without the "correct" dogs on it. I walked out of there with the dogs I wanted. I know some take them off to gain more "inches" on the bar. May gain 1½ inches.  I heard the argument of a sharp chain too. I just kinda like the way they look. Almost like chrome wheels on a car. Don't do much,but sure does look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I would rather buy a longer bar than to remove my saw's dogs.  My old 028 Stihl came without dogs.  It did not stay that way very long.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

As many posts have indicated... Whether you need dogs or not is a matter of personal preference. The type of cutting you do with that particular saw will have a strong influence in whether they are useful, neutral, or a hindrance. Generally, the bigger the saw/bar and the bigger the wood, the more indispensable they become.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

red oaks lumber

sawing without  dogs is like driving in snow with drag radials :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!