iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started a new harvest

Started by VT_Forestry, November 15, 2011, 07:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT_Forestry

Finally got the contracts all finalized and the contractor started harvesting a few weeks ago.  This clearcut sale is across 6 timber stands totalling 78 acres and is mostly mature loblolly pine (90+ years old) and 5+ logs.  Right around a million bdft of pine and another 250k bdft of misc hardwood.

Skidding tall trees

Most of the pine has been cut out, going back in now to clean up the hardwood pulpwood

Truck loaded up and binding down for the haul

Not a bad load of logs headed to the mill

Stack of logs and a knothead  :D

Tight rings, should make some good lumber

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

thecfarm

I always like to see pictures of a havest. How are the trees being cut down?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

VT_Forestry

Quote from: thecfarm on November 15, 2011, 08:12:21 AM
I always like to see pictures of a havest. How are the trees being cut down?

Hydro-Ax is doing most of the work, the larger trees along with the selected pines in the SMZ are being hand-felled.   

thecfarm

I was hoping for a picture.  ;)   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

VT_Forestry

Quote from: thecfarm on November 15, 2011, 08:21:12 AM
I was hoping for a picture.  ;)   ;D

I'm headed out there now, if they are workin I'll grab one for you!  I did forget the best picture...they've been having a few problems with the trucks getting stuck on the landing, and they haven't been able to get some mats in there yet.  So this is the method for getting the truck turned around  :D

thecfarm

lumberjack48

VT, Nice, nice clean job, neat work, you can always tell when a man loves his job.

I've been in the chair all most 23 yrs, i still have Loggers Fever, its a illness you can't get rid of.

My high was a good stand of timber, i had a hard time sleeping the night before i started.

I've had some so called truck drivers, thats the only way they could turn the truck around.

When i was driving my rig, i always put a single set of chains on the front driver's before i had problems.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Autocar

Bill

T Welsh

Quote from: Autocar on November 15, 2011, 05:31:43 PM
Nice looking timber  ;)
I,ll 2nd that. also good looking job. lumberjack48,pointed that out,people that do this can tell  ;D Tim

VT_Forestry

I definitely like what I do, that's for sure!  The guys that we get doing most of our harvests do a really good job.  They are a small crew, run pretty slow on a Monday (especially when the Budweiser was flowing extra over the weekend :)).  But, since they are a small crew, they are a little more flexible when I ask them to do things a certain way....which is good because it means that for the most part, harvests are getting done exactly how I want them to.  If something is not right, it's very easy to get them to fix it and make it right. 

As requested, I got some pictures of the Hydro-Ax 611E buncher running yesterday.  It was a slow day for them...they had some mechanical troubles with the trucks, so they were moving the logs around on the deck waiting for the truck drivers to get back.  They got their logging mats put in so they were knocking some stumps down to make it a little easier on the drivers.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

treefarmer87

NICE LOOKIN JOBSITE AND EQUIP. VT :) where are you selling those nice pine logs? a mill near here pays $150/1000 bf :(
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

Those pine sure look nice and add up volume fast.  :)

$150/thousand? They don't want wood. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

My uncle got mad at one outfit one time and burnt the logs up in the furnace for firewood after he bucked and split it all. Couldn't get delivery tickets, so figured firewood was better. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

VT_Forestry

Quote from: treefarmer87 on November 24, 2011, 05:15:45 PM
NICE LOOKIN JOBSITE AND EQUIP. VT :) where are you selling those nice pine logs? a mill near here pays $150/1000 bf :(

The nicest of the logs are going to the loggers mill in West Point.  The rest are going all over the place, some are going to the GP mill in Emporia, others are going north to Saluda/Tappahanock.  It certainly wasn't the best time to sell this pine, but it needed to go.  Most of it looks pretty good, but rot is definately starting to settle in. 

timbuck2

15 cents a foot???  ouch! >:(

treefarmer87

alot of the guys i know go to west point. its good that you got it before it got too rotten.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ron Scott

Nice photos! Truck turn arounds can be a problem at times, but the skidders always come to their aid. ;)
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Especially if they want a pay cheque. :D But I have seen skidders pull trucks out of some nasty roads, steep hills and slime. We used to pull trailers loads of spuds up icey drive ways with a tree farmer. Even hooked onto tractors or trucks in potato harvest. :D When that old tree farmer hooked on, you came along. ;D

VT_Forestry

We've had some weather delays and a few equipment breakdowns, but this job is still moving along.  I got some videos of some equipment running the other day and figured I would share them :)

Just a quick shot of the cutter knocking down a pine
http://youtu.be/WsBOGLOyTTw

Cutter working on a poplar with a big root flare
http://youtu.be/_cL9S25NLUA

Leigh Family Farm

Nice videos! What would you do with the cleared space? Replant saplings?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

VT_Forestry

Quote from: kilgrosh on August 15, 2012, 09:54:02 AM
Nice videos! What would you do with the cleared space? Replant saplings?

Yup, we'll go in when they are done, do a little site prep to knock down the tops, then plant loblolly pine

ashes

Thanks for posting these pictures! I love seeing job site updates.

Autocar

Nice looking logs but .15 cents that would bum me out in a hurry  :D. Seems like a fellow should saw them and stack it up there worth alot more then that I would think.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!