iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New small saw

Started by kenskip1, November 17, 2011, 11:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

OK Here is the story.My Husky 36 was  light easy to start. That is about all the good things I am able to say about it.I have replaced the ignition switch coil gas tank vent,gas lines and most recently a carburetor kit.Well it was running but dying on me. Weak spark.Well the holes that held the coil appeared to not ever have been tightened.Any way I set the gap and was tightening with a 1/4 drive ratchet and presto! Instant stripped screws.The saw is now in pieces in the recycle bin.
So I would like to know if anyone has used a Husky 435 or equivalent size in another brand.I would like to stay in the $250. range.Makita, Stihl, Echo?I have had good results with my local Husky dealer but other brands are possible as I own both Husky and Stils.Thanks for your time, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

beenthere

kenskip
A little puzzled with your dilema. You said you have had good results with your local Husky dealer, but yet you were attempting to fix something wrong with the saw ??
Maybe should make better use of the good dealer ;)

Seems I'd go back to him/her for some help buying the next one and keep 'em in business. They likely need your help and money. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kenskip1

Been there, My dealer has been able to get me any part than I need.I have been working on saws for over 15 years. Install pistons do carb rebuilds the whole thing.My dealer has a young guy that is trying but not the sharpest tool in the shed, however he gets me the parts that I require.The saw in question was a referb but the owner that gave it to me had had it.Besides, know one fixes a saw or tunes them to my requirements.However all the saw that I own run  the way that I want them. Thanks for the reply.Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong

ladylake

You'ld like a muff modded Echo CS400 , they were selling on Ebay for right around $200 but seem to have gone up a bit. Also hear good things about a 40cc Dolmar.  Both of these have good build quality, also Echo has reasonable priced parts either online or at a dealer.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

Would it be possible to retap the holes and thread for the next size be it metric or SAE ?

Cut4fun

Kenskip you can throw another crankcase at it very easily or do as Al says I would think.
I took 2 PP260 one with bad crank and one with bad crankcase and pulled them apart to rebuild 1 from 2 in around a couple of hours more or less.  I actually showed it in a thread on chainsawrepair site. Link below.

http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/poulan/poulan-pro-260/

I like the feel of the light weight 435, but have yet to run one. It does feel nice and balanced small saw.

kenskip1

I would like to thank you all for the replies.However the saw is now in a pile of metals along with about 30 other saws in similar c0ondition. I am just tired of working on it and having something else go wrong.Going to replace it with something like a small Husky or Echo, or maybe an Efco.Stihl $$ to much for my budget.Being over the prime age of the big 50 I am wanting things to work properly.Yes honey I did make the bed and do the dishes.I am in trouble now, later,Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong

Cut4fun

Quote from: kenskip1 on November 18, 2011, 03:09:19 PM
However the saw is now in a pile of metals along with about 30 other saws in similar c0ondition.

Yes honey I did make the bed and do the dishes.I am in trouble now, later,Ken

Man I wished you lived closer. Parts are parts.

LOL at Yes honey.

Sent you a PM about PP260.

Thank You Sponsors!