iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Safety Buzzer

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 14, 2011, 06:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My safety buzzer went out on my debarker today. I know it's for safety reason and when it started going bad, it sounded like a cat screaming in a sausage grinder.

My mill has 268 hours on it. I DID order a new one from WM.

I am a safety freak....but is this buzzer / beeper necessary?

My mill is stationary in a shed and positioned where no one can be standing close to the debarked.

Thanks, David / LT40HDG28

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kevin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 14, 2011, 06:38:00 PM
it sounded like a cat screaming in a sausage grinder.

How do you know that?   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I made a cat sound like a dog one time. I put him in a bag, poured gas on him, lit the bag and it said " WOOF "!

Just kidding...... smiley_big-grin2
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dan_Shade

I like the alarm, it lets me know the debarker is running.

I think the debarker is the most dangerous thing on the mill.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

I had a sausage grinder like that once.  Nah, now I remember, that was the Chevy.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stavebuyer

My first "mod" was to unhook it.

Full Circle

Quote from: Magicman on November 14, 2011, 07:38:49 PM
I had a sausage grinder like that once.  Nah, now I remember, that was the Chevy.   ;D
Uh oh.

I know I'm a new guy here.  But something tells me this could get interesting... ;)
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

Magicman

Quote from: stavebuyer on November 14, 2011, 07:49:21 PM
My first "mod" was to unhook it.

I bought my sawmill used and it was already disconnected.  Still is, so I've never missed it.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Watch that debarker.  Dont remember why but there have been a few times I've been around that side and realized it was running, after getting just a bit too close for comfort.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

cypresskayaksllc

My alarm doesnt work either. Dont worry about it.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

shelbycharger400

not shure what they charged you for a new one, but should be fairly easy to find a similar one
all it is is a bi-metalic plate in it like a relay, vibrates .    one day when i get bored im gunna rip the key in chimer (same gig) out of my 78 dodge...can you say obnoxious

pnyberg

No longer milling

Dave Shepard

I've got a nice scar on my left side from the debarker. I only run our mill  with the remote, unless there is a problem with it. Well, this spring we had a speed pot go bad in the remote so I was running from the console. When I have to move around the mill or run the forklift, I push the red E stop button on the remote and this kills everything but the engine, and I know it's safe to be around the mill. Well, there is no E stop on the console, and when I stepped in front of the head to tighten a rattling blade cover, I got cut by the debarker. The wire to the alarm had gotten pulled off by something, and as I usually run wirelessly, I can't hear it, and didn't know it was broken. I got my helper to turn the mill off so I could get out of where I was. With the engine running, you can't hear the blade running, and it's hard to see it spinning. I'd leave it hooked up and or fix the alarm. I made a report to WM and advocated an E stop button on the console of all mills.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

backwoods sawyer

I done something different with mine, I disconnected it from the debarker switch because it wasn't working anyway and hooked it up to a weather proof horn button on the console. This allows me to get the attention of anyone who happens to be around the mill, one long buzz means step back, two short buzzes means the wood is ready to be removed . 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bugdust

I'll throw my reason in the pot for keeping the alarm connected. There has been several times I switched the debarked back from the log but forgot to stop the motor. The primary reason is for safety, seconday reason is to tell old farts to kill the motor, that's where I come in.  ::)
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Bandmill Bandit

I stuffed mine with cotton and installed a flashing red light. That light is almost as annoying as the beep beep beep was but i do find that it keeps everyone lookin at the mill instead of looking for a backing up tractor or something else.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Brucer

I spliced a couple of connectors into the wires leading to mine. When I'm working alone, the beeper is disconnected. When I'm demonstrating the mill or have a customer hanging about, I hook it up.

When I first bought this mill I was set up behind a timber framer's shop. Not only did the beeper annoy everyone there, it actually caused a safety issue. The shop's forklift had a backup beeper that sounded that same and after a few days running the mill, people started tuning out the sound. There were a couple of near misses when the forklift was backing out of the shop and people were walking along the side of the building.

I treat the debarker like a gun -- always assume it's loaded and could go off.

My plan is to install a self-latching relay with a kill switch on the control panel. Anytime the debarker is activated, the beeper will sound until the kill switch is pressed. When the debarker stops it automatically resets the relay. That's been the plan for 4 years now and I still haven't got it done :(.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

kderby

I cut the wire and do not miss it at all.  One of my friends was helping one day and he commented on the disconnect.  He was suprised I would do such a thing.  I am safety motivated but that sound affect was too much.

The debarker is only on when the mill head is in motion.  The operator should be able to see what the sawhead is getting into.  If that debarker is running, the blade is running.  I do not need a beeper to remind me "stay away from a saw blade in motion. 

So says this humble sawyer,

Kderby

stavebuyer

Just curious if all debarkers are wired the same way? My LT70DCS is a "remote only mill" and the debarker only turns when the head is moving forward.

Norm

Mine turns on when the forward switch is engaged. I don't saw much so it's a good reminder to watch out that I have the mill engaged but the feed control may be turned down and the head not moving.

Kansas

If you work alone, its whatever you feel comfortable with. If you pay employees and have them on workers comp, you keep every whistle, bell, buzzer, guard, shield, you name it, hooked up.

Chuck White

I agree with Kansas, it's a safety thing and should be in working order.  My 2ยข worth.

The alarm isn't for the operator, it's for whoever is on the other side of the mill.

I can see disconnecting it when sawing alone, but I wouldn't permanently disable it myself!

When I bought my mill, the alarm had been removed, so I later picked one up from Wood-Mizer.

NOTE:  A regular back-up alarm, made for a truck or tractor will not work properly.  Don't ask me how I would know that!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!