iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New home for M14 Foley belsaw

Started by Lambee10, November 14, 2011, 10:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lambee10

I spent most of the day in the woods Saturday uncovering a M 14 saw that I had made an agreement on.  It took a large backhoe, 22' trailer (way too short) and deternimation. ;)

We got it out of the vines and trees that were growing around it and loaded it on the trailer with about 10' hanging off the back and away we went back to my farm. 8)

When we got home, I realized that the big backhoe was not going to be there to help lift this off  :o (small oversight) and I had to use chains and  my small tractor and bucket to lift it in one piece off the trailer.  Well, needless to say I did not have enough weight in the back end of my tractor and it made for some wierd feelings.  I loaded every piece of equipment I own on the back stacked up on the bale spear (box blade, cider blocks, what ever) and was able to lift it up high enough to pull the trailer out from under it.  8)

On Sunday, I used several quarts of 3 in 1 oil and every thing came lose and started working!  I need new belts and much more work but it was a relief to see things start moving again.  Hopefully I will try to have this leveled and set over Thanksgiving break but it is almost as fun fixing it as it will be running it!

Anyone know how to make the days longer? I want to play with it after work! :D :D

Will keep you posted as I am sure I will have questions.

Will try to get some pictures up on the extraction!
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

dail_h

Congrats  man, I just got my M14 goin a coupla weeks ago, what a hoot to saw with, after sawin with  a band mill. Sure does make my old tractor huff n puff tho
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

bandmiller2

Lambee,take a couple of pieces off the mill and work on them in your shop after dark.Clean ,free up,and paint then move on to outhers pretty soon it will be ready for assembly and done up proper.Congrats on your "new" mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peder McElroy

Congrats on the Belsaw. I have one and what fun to run,but be careful and use two people when you mill, I didn't one Sunday and it was almost my last time milling. Be safe and have fun.
Peder

captain_crunch

A shut down is essencal I have a spider web throttle rope monkey motion that lets me stall tractor in bad spot
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Lambee10

Thanks for the input.

Captain- I have been pondering on the Kill switch.  I have some ideas but I am open to learning what others have done.

I had to bypass the driver seat switch on the tractor so I could operate the PTO without leaving my son on the tractor  :D.  I thought that in an emergancy I could build a switch to open and close that circuit but it just stalls the tractor.  I think I would rather make something mechanical to run over and be able to hit the spring loaded PTO on/off switch.

Any pictures or ideas I could see from someone?

mad murdock

Congrat Lambee10 on your mill!  Sounds like a great addition to your farm.  What species of wood will you primarily be milling? Will you be using the lumber for farm preservation/upkeep/improvements?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

captain_crunch

my tractor is old enough to not have any saftey switches other than no start in gear but I have 2 nylon ropes ran thru pullys to hand throttle so in trouble mill will kill tractor at idle in bind. Also this is about as close to saw as you can get with out being dumb
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Lambee10

Believe me- I am not going to get near that thing.

good pricture.  I see you converted to Hydaulics.  What is the support/pipe that the handle is mounted to?  Is that a building support?

Also looks like a guide wheel at the bottom- Is that to keep it off the support?

bandmiller2

On boath circular mill I;ve set up  put a remote clutch lever in the sawyers box.Also good form to have a clear path if you have to get out of dodge quick.Something like a section of fireplace screen suspended by chains above the saw will catch most of the shreds and small stuff that gets slung off the saw.Its good to have a hinged section next to the saw in case something gets wedged agenst the blade you flip it up to release it and not heat the plate. Frank C.

captain_crunch

the post is roof suport and put there on purpose to hide behind :o : the wheel adjusts in out with crank when cutting 1 in boards you crank pointer(on 6in in pic) to 1in saves lots of thinking ;D ;D Only drawback is better remember to crank it back when edgeing ::) ::)

Lambee10

Oh I see the pointer now.  clever.  One day when I grow up I will be that smart.

your pretty skinny to hide behind that pole! :D :D

captain_crunch

This pic of Jered(oldest son) and Duane might show how blade is gaurded

You can see blade over Jered's left hand if you look close. When I saw I stand almost where Duane is standing more beside blade than behind it

Lambee10

thanks. What horsepower does the Ford put out at the PTO?  How does it work for you?

captain_crunch

Ford 3000 rated at 40 pto hp mine was tweeked to 48 when We had it on dyno when I was in agg shop at collage. Dont have trouble sawing this size logs

secret I belive is hyd carrage feed infinite speed control and saw cant grab into log like Duanes American really need to be on toes with it or it will grab into log.
not sure what went south with pic but click on link and it will pop up ???

beenthere

Quote from: captain_crunch on November 19, 2011, 12:44:43 PM
Ford 3000 rated at 40 pto hp mine was tweeked to 48 when We had it on dyno when I was in agg shop at collage. Dont have trouble sawing this size logs

secret I belive is hyd carrage feed infinite speed control and saw cant grab into log like Duanes American really need to be on toes with it or it will grab into log

Forgot an end bracket. Make use of the Preview button and you will catch those things. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

captain_crunch

BNT
Thanks fer tip I used preview but not puter sharp enough to notice things like that ::)

Woodchuck53

Congrats Lambee. Enjoy the mill.

A couple years ago I fixed a temp. air cylinder to a friends pto lever with a quarter turn ball valve on the exhuast side to vent if he got in a bind. He shifts the lever in to gear and attached a spring to it. He would charged the cylinder with air to hold it open. Any problems he would jerk the valve handle open and let the spring tension pull it in to nuetral.

Crude but it worked till he had things like he wanted and he felt he could saw by his self safely.

Maybe something like that would work for you.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Lambee10

Well I got the mill set and level.  have worked on tweaking it when I have time and actually tried to mill a log or two just to see what happens.  Kinda crooked but did not expect much.

One problem I did not think about is the pto shaft is solid.  Since it does not telescope it is difficult to hook up to the tractor by yourself!!! :o

Keeps me from running the mill by myself!   :)

[img]ht

bandmiller2

Lambee,does the PTO look homemade? never heard of one that didn't have some telescope.It should also have ether a slip clutch or shear bolt. Frank C.

apm

You've got a fine start, there, Lambee. What you gonna do about sawdust? I've got an M14 just one state over from you.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

captain_crunch

Two suggestions one is a roll table behind saw so lumber dont have to be packed by hand. Second is crusher screen works better beside saw than solid deck to let sawdust fall thru and needs  to hinge or lift to allow small slices that  WILL  wedge between deck and blade to fall thru

for saftey reasons decking between frame rails not really good idea because it offers chance to get where you should not be with saw running :-[ :-[

reride82

Hello,
I don't mean to steal this thread, but how do you guys have your splitter/sail mounted behind the blade? Is it fixed, or is mounted so you can adjust it? I was thinking of using all-tread bolts and having them bolted through the rail frame. Will this work or is there a better method? And what is the best way to tune it so it doesn't hang up on the cant or the slab? Any pictures?

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

apm

Hi Levi,
My splitter is adjustable. It is mounted to the frame with four bolts, with a nut on each side of the frame rail. You can move it in or out to any position that suits you. I use a straightedge like a 6' level against the saw plate and set the splitter about 1/16" or so away from the level.  There's a little guess in it because the saw stands up a little when it's rotating as opposed to making your adjustment with the saw stopped.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

reride82

Greg,
Thanks for the information. I'll give that a try when I'm up at the mill this weekend.
Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Thank You Sponsors!