iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade life in hard maple

Started by sawmark52, November 13, 2011, 09:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmark52

Hi all,
I'm sawing several hard maple logs (bark on but cleaned) and finding very short blade life.  In most cases the blades are dulling after just 100 bd ft and start "lurching and bucking" as best as I can describe it.  Wondering if others have had similar experience.  Any suggestions about hook angle or blade tension, etc.?
Thanks
Mark

Magicman

Quote from: sawmark52 on November 13, 2011, 09:27:10 PM
bark on but cleaned  

Does that mean cleaned or clean.  OK, I'm being picky but clean means clean, as in no dirt.  Even a small amount of dirt will quickly dull a blade.

4° blades are best for hard logs.

What sawmill are you using?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawmark52

I'm running a T A  Schmid mill I've had for 4 years.  I wire brush any obvious dirt but I'm sure some remains.  I'm just a part-timer but have sawn a variety of logs and have never had such rapid blade wear, except maybe with hickory.  I have not tried 4 degree blades.  Maybe I'll order a couple to have on hand.

taw6243

Sometimes hardmaple dulls blades (1 per log) >:( Stellite tipped from woodmizer work very well on those problem logs, expensive tho
I know I've got 40 of them.

Tim
4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

Magicman

I have no intentions of ever sawing Hickory again.   :-\   I know that it will happen, but it is not in my plans.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

hickory saws better for me if its green, saws even better if its green and peeled of bark... that bark peeling green hickory is a thread of its own though. :D

dovetails

Quote from: Magicman on November 14, 2011, 09:15:25 AM
I have no intentions of ever sawing Hickory again.   :-\   I know that it will happen, but it is not in my plans.

MM, whats so hard about sawing hickory?
I just came in from sawing some on my lt30 manual mill.
Cut down about a month ago after Irene came thru,and blew it over.
About 20 inches on small end,log about 12ft long.Bark and all, saw went
right threw it fine.I had more problem with some 2 year old oak I cut the other day.
The only problem I had at all was turning it,but solved that with my tractor and
chain with hook on it to roll it over.    does it get harder to cut with age (drying)
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Magicman

Quote from: dovetails on November 14, 2011, 11:40:44 AM
  does it get harder to cut with age (drying) 

It just seems that every time someone has Hickory to saw, it's been down a year, and yes, it is rock hard.  It's so seldom that I do not keep any 4° blades.  I do now have three 7° blades and also a Stelite blade, so I'm prepared for next time.

MM, whats so hard about sawing hickory?

I never said that there was anything hard about sawing Hickory, I said  "I have no intentions of ever sawing Hickory again".  ;D   :D

Chuck White

does it get harder to cut with age (drying)

Ya, it gets very hard.

I had three 9-footers, about 14 inch diameter stored in the back of my garage since Spring clean-up following the January '98 Ice Storm.

I sawed them in '07 on my FIL's LT40G18 manual mill.

The only blades we had were 10°, and the sawdust from those logs looked a lot like gravel.

So, travel through the logs was very slow.

Now, on the other hand, I've sawn fresh cut Hickory and it sawed a lot like Poplar.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

T Welsh

Its all in the blades, They have to be sharp! hard maple is a breeze with 7degree blades. as soon as the cut goes off so does the blade and on with a new one! Hickory used to give me fits,my all time least favorite logs to saw,I have sawn a lot of them over the years and the best plan of attack is a full box of blades. both these types of wood get worse with age,butt logs and knots or running in and out of the grain,will give you fits and some times even a sharp blade wont cut it! blade life is very poor! add dirt on the bark >:( (You now see why every one has problems with them) Tim

stavebuyer

Both Hard Maple and Hickory saw much easier when the logs are fresh and the sap stills up. Lots of water helps a bit.

Magicman

Actually, I guess all species saw better fresh.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!