iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

open block

Started by Kevin, November 13, 2011, 05:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Does anyone happen to know who sells an open block like the one in the picture that will accept a 1/2" rope?

madmari

I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Kevin

I don't see any specs on that, it looks like the portable winch block which might be 3/8"rope but I'll call them tomorrow.
Thanks.

Autocar

Looks to me you could make one pretty easy using a idol pulley. Good luck Bill
Bill

Dale Hatfield

Nova Jack used to sell one.
It was a load releasing block to use are a redirect ,used with their winching cone and such.
Their was a metal slide on the winch line. That when it hit the block it would pop out  .
http://www.portablewinch.com/en/05.asp
Found one here
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Kevin

Dale;
That one in the picture I posted is a Nova Jack but it's only for 3/8"rope.
I'm not sure about the one portable winch sells but I can call tomorrow.
I might be able to order a replacement sheave for a mariner block and make one if I can't find one for 1/2"rope but that's what I want it for, self releasing.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dale Hatfield

Actually the closer I look at your Pic. it is a nova jack block. However the portable winch folks seam to have all of the same stuff that NJ used to sell . Im sure it will as they sell 1/2 inch winch line  and the the pop off  that I talked about is  sized at 1/2 .
Chainsaw Carver

Dale Hatfield

I have used  the block system works very well.  Used the whole deal cone, open block, atv plate, and releasing bullet on the winch line.
It all worked very well . I cant remember what size line we used,came with the package
Chainsaw Carver

Rick Alger

I have one of those from Portable Winch. It worked fine with half inch rope.

John Mc

I've never used a rope, but if a block for cable will work with rope, here's an option:

Here's a link to a self releasing snatch block sold by Labonville. At $279, it isn't cheap. I have one (bought a few years back before steel prices went up). Rated for up to 1/2" cable, 6 ton capacity - I assume it would work for rope as well (may be overkill - what is your rope rated for?). It works well. It's manufactured by Norse.

I've also attached a PDF file entitled "snatchblock-winching tips". It has a sidebar with info on making your own self-releasing block (or having a fab shop make one for you). The plans are for a 1/2" groove, to accommodate at 3/8" cable, but you could modify the design for larger diameters.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Kevin

Thanks for the help, I just got off the phone with portable winch and the rep informs me that it will work with 3/8 to 1/2 inch rope.
She wants me to buy it from a dealer which is an hour and a half away but I do go by there every few months.
I'll price a sheave here locally and have the option of making one or buying one.

neslrite

Kevin,
LogRite is a portable winch dealer, open face block P/N PCA-1270 $59.95US, automatic release for 1/2" rope PCA-1291 $24.95US.
Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I'll call the shop in the morning and order one.

Thank You Sponsors!