iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you know what this is?

Started by Banjo picker, November 12, 2011, 10:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

A co worker brought this to work...I had never seen one before....How long will it take before its identified among all this knowledge...?

since I didn't put anything to give an idea as to size....I will say its about as big as a half dollar.. Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

zopi

That....is a piece of thermoplastic.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

easymoney

i believe it is made of cast iron just painted real good. it mounts to the wall to hold your dohickey when you are not using it.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

D Hagens

Quote from: Magicman on November 13, 2011, 08:49:41 AM
I have always wanted one.   :)

MM, that would look great on your mill 8) Got to paint it orange first 8)

Autocar

Bill

sparky1

kinda shaped like one of them breathe right things you put on your nose before you go to bed.. must be heavy duty!!
Shaun J

Al_Smith

A small set of designer "mickey mouse ears " for a pet hampster ?

clww

Some sort of a latching mechanism? ???
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Banjo picker

Quote from: zopi on November 12, 2011, 10:37:27 PM
That....is a piece of thermoplastic.

You are correct, but as Alex Trabeck would say more specific information is needed. :D
Quote from: sparky1 on November 13, 2011, 06:14:20 PM
kinda shaped like one of them breathe right things you put on your nose before you go to bed.. must be heavy duty!!

I would have to say you are at least getting warm....

Autocar you gave up too quick...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

zopi

Looks lime part of a set of goggles or a facemask...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

It is a nose that a clown would wear.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

I'm guessing here. A medical device to block or spread nostrils.  The flat parts on floor go in nostrils.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

bodagocreek2

How about an old time bottle opener?

lumberjack48

Its a Didly-do-Dap, Do-Dadie. i used to have one, but i can't remember when, ?????????
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Tom_Averwater

Is it a pair of chicken blinders that hooks on their beak to keep them from pecking ?
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Paul_H

That sure sounds like a plausible answer,Tom
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

mooleycow

ain't got a clue.  looks kinda kinky, got anything to do with pigs!?

Banjo picker

Tom has nailed it....they even make them to go on turkeys. ;)  Where else could you find info like that...?  Tim

Mooseherder

I know a couple of Turkeys I'd like to put dat on. :D

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

This one is supposed to fit a laying size hen...I'll see if I can arrange a fitting... :D Tim

Slabs

Looks like it may have kinky applications.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Banjo picker

This is as close as I could get to a pic.... Its the box they come in...

It said it takes a special tool that you can get from your dealer to put them on the chicken..He didn't find the tool...evidently it springs it apart a little and snaps back on the bill... Tim

Chuck White

Never heard of such a thing Tim!

My parents had White Leghorn laying hens and if one got a little sick, the rest would literally peck it to death!

Sometimes they would eat eggs too.

My dad would usually clip part of the top beak and that would stop the pecking!

This thing is really ingenious!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

I have a neighbor that sells pheasant hunts on his land and raises the birds, they use little (I think) leather blinders on all the roosters.  Can't say it's too sporty but they sure helped out the pheasant population around them with their buisness.  :)

ellmoe

The tv show "Storage Wars" just hade an episode that featured these "chicken glasses". Supposedly, they were made in the 40's and are not many now left. Appraiser said they were worth a few hundred dollars a pair (not being an appraiser, I doubt it).

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

beenthere

Can buy them nowdays, so don't understand why they are considered rare. Maybe style of the OP makes a difference.  ::)

Here
http://www.randallburkey.com/Blinders-Debeakers/products/12/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Autocar

That was a trick ! If you would of put a penny or dime next to it it would of rattled my brain, we used alot of them when I was a kid  ;D When I first looked at the picture it looked like something big made from cast iron, guess the jokes on me  :D. All the one we ever used was just a plain unpainted steel.
Bill

Banjo picker

I told in the first post that they were about the size of a half dollar...no trick here...Tim

Tom_Averwater

I saw on tv last night a guy on Storage Wars found 3 sets of sun glasses for chickens . He was told they were worth $500 .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Banjo picker

I would think the guy from Storage Wars would have been quick to sell them.  The box I took the pic. of was full... probably 100 in it...I am sure that my work associate would like to get up with the person doing the buying.  Banjo

shinnlinger

As some one who raises chickens, if you have cannibalism, then you have them packed too tight in an unhealthy environment
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

petefrom bearswamp

I had a friend in High School who lived on a turkey farm.
I helped them one week end  put something similar on the turkeys but were rose colored and transparent to prevent the pecking.
Gives meaning to looking at the world through rose colored glasses.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mayor

Its a wobblearity compensator for a flux capacitor!.  Left hand one at that!.

Banjo picker

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on December 20, 2011, 06:57:12 PM
I had a friend in High School who lived on a turkey farm.
I helped them one week end  put something similar on the turkeys but were rose colored and transparent to prevent the pecking.
Gives meaning to looking at the world through rose colored glasses.

I am thinking that rose colored glasses is one thing that a turkey would need ... seeing that they are the prefered food for many occasions...Banjo

Old Iron nut

Tom A. has it right. It goes on chickens' beak to stop them from pecking. Those little prongs on the inside fit in the breathe holes on the bird's beak. Put many of those on in my teenage years working on a chicken farm.

Thank You Sponsors!