iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I told Polly that I would let you guys know.., after I spiffed it up a little,,

Started by Slingshot, November 12, 2011, 08:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slingshot

that I was the one who bought his LT40 HD.   :)

I was the first one to call about it and they e-mailed a picture. It looked a little
rough and I thought I was buying a 1987 but decided to go get it. Didn't know
until after agreeing to buy it that it was a 1989. He found out after checking
serial no.
     Anyway I got it shined up a little so here are some before and after
pictures....

The owner before him had let it set out and there was quite a bit of rust but it was
surface and metal was all solid..

So with a little wire brushing, sanding, cleaning, priming and some new orange...I got it
looking like this;

I have a short video of running the mill before re-painting that I will post later.

TimGA

Looks like that took more than 5 minutes to spiff up. Nice job, looks great, will make you feel better when running it. I like to see things taken care of.
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

inspectorwoody

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jueston

that looks great, after you got the mill i read the post about the mill for sale and was trying to figure out how to explain the purchase to my better half when i realized it was already gone.
i'm sure you'll get some good work done with it.

Slingshot

Thanks for the comments. Here is the video of running it. Whacked a little off of a
cedar log that had heart rot. Outer boards were OK.
  I'll make another video later of it sawing after dressing it up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW-c6Nxwnn8

Magicman

Well, aren't you something.  Any more dressing up and you would have to take her out to lunch.

Better yet, take Polly.   ;)   You will soon be eating sawdust.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Slingshot

I need to do a little more dressing up on it. It needs some pants for the wheels :D

Banjo picker

Very nice job on the spiff up... I admit I was a bit sad when I read that he was going to sell his mill, but it does look like you are going to give it a good home...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

houtwurm

homemade bandmill
stihl ms 441
case 5130 with alo quicke q690 us loader
homemade sawbench

T Welsh

Great job on the restoration,now go have fun and get it dirty again :D Tim

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Congratulations on the sawmill Slingshot.

Looks like it found a good home.  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Slingshot

Quote from: thecfarm on November 13, 2011, 06:14:12 AM
Is this your first mill or an upgrade?  What will you be cutting?

I've been saw-milling about 4 years, I've had other mills but this is my first Hydraulic.
  I also still have a Norwood Lumbermate.

_________________--

Bibbyman

It's a classic!  Like finding grandpa's 55 Belair in the barn and getting it up and running again!

Way to go!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

wesdor

JP135

Nice work!

Enjoyed the video. Even though I own one myself, I still love watching a sawmill work.

DR_Buck

All it needs now is a couple of coats of Turtle Wax and you'll be ready to cruz Main Street on Saturday night.  :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

davidlarson

Good work on spiffing up your mill.  I've noticed that whenever I wash my old pickup truck it can go about 5 mph faster, and gets 3-4 more miles per gallon of gas.  It wouldn't surprise me if you notice a similar improvement in performance in your mill. 
David L. 

Chuck White

Hey, Welcome to the Forestry Forum John.

This is a good place to hang out, learn stuff and have fun.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

duke

What a beautiful job you have done on that mill. It looks brand new!! It looks like it saw well too!! This is what I need to be doing some day?? I love working with wood and love seeing what those old narlly looking logs produce. Some beautiful boards and that is the fun of cutting your own logs like christmas some days!!
Marcel

Magicman

Welcome, John Paczkowski, it looks like you have a sawmill service.

Why don't you start a thread and give us an intro.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stormyweatherman

that mill is going to love you back for sure ;D  may i introduce one of my favorite terms? :P beautimus maximus  :P
if experience is the sum of all my mistakes, then i must know a great deal more than i realize

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!