iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern Red Cedar

Started by Jerry, November 12, 2011, 07:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Sawed up 500 bf of eastern red cedar yesterday evening and today. It was cut in 1x4, 1x6, and 1x8 all 8ft long would have taken pictures but didn't have my camera with me . I will take some later maybe I can learn how to post them after I take them.
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

islandlogger

Jerry, sounds good, did it all come out nicely for you? Is this your first venture of milling?

kelLOGg

My barn shed floor is covered with ERC sawdust. My cats love it  >:(.   It's one of my favorite woods to saw. I have 7 logs on my rollway now waiting for me.

What will you do with the boards?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

I love to saw Cedar.

I've only sawn Red Cedar once, about 300 Board Feet!  Not much of it in this area!

Every once in a while I'll get into a bunch of White Cedar!

Saws very smooth.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have to wear a mask when when I saw ERC. If I don't, it'll give me a soar throat.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

It sounds like you had a good sawing experience.

ERC is probably my least favorite to saw, but it just goes with the territory.  I always wear a mask when sawing everything....always.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jerry

I bought a 18 wheeler load of red cedar to use for board and batten on a cabin we are going to build. My operation is kind of simple I have a LT40 manual mill, and I built an arch to pull behind my pickup, I also built a bracket that lets me take out my 5th wheel setup and put a 10,000lb winch in its place using only 4 pins. will take some pictures and post when I can.
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

oklalogdog

I love ERC and we have a lot of it here in central Oklahoma.  There is a big difference however between hill country ERC and canyon ERC.  The hill country cedars are extremely limby, short, and have lots of taper.  The canyon cedars however can grow to 50-60 feet, 2' or more in diameter and have much less taper and very few limbs up to 15 feet or so.

I have cut over three hundred of them from our canyon  as we are in the process of building an ERC log home.  ERC may not be the best choice for a log home but it is what we have, and I think if I use Piece on Piece (Short Log) construction methods - I can do it.  I have an old Foley's Belsaw set up and have and will cut much of my own lumber.  Will I ever get it done?  Who knows?  Am I enjoying it?  Every little minute of it.

If anyone in here has experience with "Short Log" construction - I would really appreciate your input.
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

Chuck White

oklalogdog, do some research on the Timber Frame and Log Construction topic.

Lots of good info there.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!