Sponsors:

Respect

Started by Texas Ranger, November 12, 2011, 05:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

inspectorwoody

Just the way it should be.

No reason for laughter or conversation, pay your respects and move on for all the other stuff.

Warbird

Chuck White

That is a great video!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JV

The guards will tolerate no disrespect which is the way it should be.  Most people honor the rules but unfortunately there are always a few that need to be reminded.

I am a member of our county's Military Burial Rites Team.  Our job (all volunteers), is to honor the deceased veteran at burial.  There are so many misconceptions about the rituals that this thread gives me an opportunity to hopefully correct some.

21 Gun Salute - The actual 21 gun salute is done with cannon for heads-of-state, going down in number according to the persons position.  The rifle team in an honor guard may consist of 3 to 8 members.  The firing of 3 volleys the objective.  This dates back to the civil war.  A cease fire was called to retrieve the dead and wounded, when each side finished each would fire three volleys to resume battle.  This was adopted to honor the deceased soldiers at burial.

Taps - Taps was written as a bugle call for the end of day, to cease activities.  An officer used it during a burial ceremony instead of three volleys because he was afraid he could restart hostilities by mistake.  Taps soon became used by both sides and is internationally recognized.

Folds of the Flag -  Each fold does not represent something.  It was originally folded to represent the hat worn by soldiers of the revolution.  No red may show when presented.

I don't wish to hijack this thread, but these misconceptions bother me.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Nomad

That soldier did exactly the right thing.  When I was in uniform I was involved in a few funerals.  Since then I've been unfortunate enough to be involved in several more for people I knew.  And as a Patriot Guardsman, I've been fortunate enough to be able to honor quite a few people who really deserved it.

JV, you didn't hijack anything.  You just informed some people who may not have realized the significance of what they were seeing.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

thecfarm

JV,thank you for the explanations. I do know enough to show respect. I kinda wonder at times what this great world is really coming too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Magicman

As it should be.

Thanks for the video TR, and thanks for the explanation JV.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T Welsh

Respect is what it is all about. the younger generation needs to be informed and taught ,that there way of life did not just happen. men and women gave there lives so this nation could continue! My father WW2 vet and older brother Vietnam vet. both served and I have an enormous amount of respect for our veterans active or not. Tim

CHARLIE

Nomad, I didn't realize you were a Patriot Guard.  I was moved by their solemn respect as they lined the road at attention each holding a U.S. Flag. Unforgetable and appreciated.  You are a kind and thoughtful man and it was my pleasure to get to meet you, though I wish under different circumstances.

I saw that YouTube video and while I'm glad that soldier handled the situation, it was sad that he had to.  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

metalspinner

There are signs posted along the sidewalks at Arlington leading to the Tomb to be respectful and quiet. Everyone in attendance had ample warning to behave themselves.

There is another video of somebody dropping something over the line and reaching in to pick it up. no_no
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Nomad

Charlie I had hoped to ride that day.  Unfortunately, due to one truly obnoxious old bat,  the customer I had to saw for could not put the job off.  It would have left him in a really bad position and I couldn't do that to him.

I joined the Patriot Guard in '06, I think.  The Westboro Baptist church was planning to picket a soldier's funeral here and I didn't like the idea.  A lot of other people didn't either.  There were almost a thousand riders there that day.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!