iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade sharpener and setters

Started by aom, November 11, 2011, 01:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aom

Unfortunately I have no experience with the narrow bandsaw sharpener and setter set up. So could users please tell me the benefits and the not so good features of the different makes i.e. woodmizer, cooks timberking etc and  what are the differences of the various semi automatic setters. A further issue , has anybody by using homemade cams etc been able to convert a narrow bandmill sharpener to sharpen workshop bandsaw blades, thus being able to sharpen both types of band on one machine
regards AOM

Bibbyman

We got a Wood-Mizer CBN sharpener and dual tooth setter - manual crank - about a year ago.

Here is a link to the whole story.  Many others had comments as well.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,42691.0.html
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

AOM,the unit Bibby showed you is probibly the latest and greatest sharpener,but specialized and expensive.If you use just one brand and type of band their hard to beat, as A shaped wheel must be used for each gullet conformation.I have a Cooks Cats Claw sharpener, with which I'am well pleased.The Cooks will sharpen almost anything,I even sharpen the 3" wide Makita stellite tipped bandsaw bands.I'll be a happy old sawyer if I live long enough to wear out the Cats Claw.You want a sharpener that will clean the whole gullet and not just sharpen the face of the tooth.there are outher machines I'll let those that own one comment. Pretty much you get what you pay for. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I also have a Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.

The thing I like the most about this unit is the power and the precision and completeness of the grind.

I have used Wood-Mizer's sharpener and setter, and it's basically the same in it's operation except the sharpener isn't as heavy-made and powerful as the Cooks.  But it's still a good unit for sure.

As for your question on the sharpening and setting of shop band saw blades, I think that would take a completely different sharpener.
A lot more teeth and a lot closer together.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodmills1

I have older woodmizer drag sharpener and manual setter

the sharpener is fine but fussy

(admit am sorry for expletive used next)

the setter "sucks" but is way ahead of whats in third place
mine is in second
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

customdave

Just thought I would add to this subject, Cooks has there Cat Claw Sharpner on sale right now for the best I have seen, $1495.00, this was sent to me in a E-mail, I have been watching for this sharpner for quite some time ! Mine is on order :)...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Banjo picker

You done good ,  you will enjoy using it...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

kelLOGg

Quote from: customdave on November 14, 2011, 11:03:12 AM
Cooks has there Cat Claw Sharpner on sale right now for the best I have seen, $1495.00
Dave

Wow! That's less than I paid for mine 9 years ago. It is a good machine but then I haven't used anything else.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

barbender

I just ordered a Cook's today, that was a price I couldn't pass up. I just sold the old manual mill, so the timing was right  ;) They said there were only 4 left at that price, minus mine.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!