iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building a firewood processor

Started by jaybe_2, November 10, 2011, 10:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybe_2

This is the start of my processor. It is going to be small but have a lot of power and should be fast. The engine has 91 HP  and the pump will be a 30 GPM backed by a 25GPM pump. It will take a 24" log 16' to 18' long

250quality

Awsome start! I think I change something on mine every time I shut it off. Looking for an auto cycle valve for my splitter now. Where did you get parts to build your saw and what are you driving it with?

zopi

Your fabrication is better than my flabrication...

It sure ought to be fast...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

jaybe_2

I bought the saw bar and saw motor from crd metal works everything else I have fabbed myself.

jaybe_2

Spent some time on the splitter this weekend, It looks big in the pics but it will fit under the processor. Also got the cylinder mounted and got a few other things done.

Dean186

I am impressed!  Very nice.  Are you sure that stop plate on the splitter will hold up.  ;)

gunman63

clww

COOL! I love watching and reading these threads when members make, build or modify something!
I'll be following this one closely so thanks for posting, jaybe_2!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Looks good. I must agree nice shop.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stavebuyer

Looks great..but..with that shop and skills...doesn't look like firewood should be your callling lol

jaybe_2

I dont know what my calling is but its not firewood. This is for personal use only, not selling fire wood. I burn 10/11 cord a year my brother burns the same and my brother inlaw burns 12/14  a year. that is all we will be running throuhgt it.

jaybe_2

Well it was not easy but I got the splitter slid under the processor. Also thought I would throw in a pic of my homemade boiler.

beenthere

Nice.
You have a nice shop or else access to a nice shop to work in. :)

Any more pics of the boiler? Is it auto draft control when the water gets up to temp?

Looks like someone lost their right hand and left it on top of the boiler for the pic.  :o
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jaybe_2

I will get more pics of the boiler. It does have an auto draft control. It needs no power to operate and keeps the water at a very even temp of your choice. The boiler is under pressure so it can be tied directly into the heating system no heat exchanger needed.  In the late 70s early 80 my farther built and  sold a hundred or more of a smaller version of this boiler, We used ome in my parents house for 15 plus years. my uncle is still using his ( 30 years ) same draft control. The shop is mine and thank you. I still have both my hands but sometimes I think I lost my head. 

GF

Great looking build (processor and boiler), keep the pictures coming, its always nice to see the progress.

GF

jaybe_2

I found a little time today to work on the processor. I got the outfeed of the splitter mostly done and the outfeed conveyor started. Its been slow going the last couple of weeks.

Norm

sparky1

Looks like you have alot of time and money invested in this so far!! It does look nice and well built though! How much do you figure you will have stuck in the processor just for materials?
Shaun J

jaybe_2

Right now Im at $3500 (rounding up) And the only thing left to buy is the pump. Its just a crum under a grand. I have about a 120 hours in it though.

sparky1

Thats really not bad at all for the price of material!!  still 4500 is alot of change, but if it works well and your pleased it will be well worth it!  Yeah its hard to put a value on labor for ones self, that is alot of time, but if ya like tinkering and having a few beers while doing so its enjoyable!!  If you had to make another one and sell it, what would you sell it for??
Shaun J

sparky1

after further review of your pic.. I might be more jealous of how large your shop is!!!   :o
Shaun J

jaybe_2

I think with a new powerplant and just ordering the material to size instead of me making everything it would be in the 25 thousand range. I have no desire to make another one though. Thanks for all the kind words on the shop, it is 75'x100'. It how ever is not just a place for me to play, it is how I make my living. 

jaybe_2

A little off topic but how about one of these to pull your firewood in the winter. Its not mine we are just servicing it for a local snowmobile club. It has a 4 cyl. turbo cummins and an allison 5 speed auto.

sparky1

loooks like a fun toy!!!  I was debating on buyin one of them a while back, but a smaller version on a four wheeler.. I have alot of things Id like to buy and not enough dough!!  Need to get the wifey working a 2nd and 3rd job!! :D
Shaun J

RobbyRob

This is just a joke but if you hire a Crackhead, he will do anything and fast for real cheap I.E: Paint your whole house with just a toothbrush in under a day or split firewood
nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future

Thank You Sponsors!