iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cajun Girl Helps Clean Wild Pig

Started by cornbread, November 10, 2011, 07:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

With that many hands it's a wonder that someone did not get cut.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Texas Ranger

Cajuns have the skill of a surgeon when it comes to dressing food game.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Also, the first time that I have ever seen a filet knife used for skinning.  Cutting from the "hair side" is a bad idea.  I always cut from the inside.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ellmoe

Quote from: Magicman on November 11, 2011, 06:43:35 AM
Also, the first time that I have ever seen a filet knife used for skinning.  Cutting from the "hair side" is a bad idea.  I always cut from the inside.

That, and too many knives (hands) in a small area, is what I noticed. Besides getting hair on the carcass, with all the sand usually found on a wild hog, it's a good way to dull a knife. Maybe they have only skinned a scalded hog before.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Buck

Yeah, I like to get in under that tough skin. I also use utility knives on hogs now. Just swap the blades and keep working.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Texas Ranger

Given the opportunity we also pressure wash before skinning.   Lots of stuff on hogs down here that are not good.

WildDog

I wouldn't want to be paying the 3 of them by the hour.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

iffy

beenthere

iffy
Make us a video to show how it is done.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shelbycharger400

iffy

Quote from: beenthere on November 14, 2011, 04:56:34 PM
iffy
Make us a video to show how it is done.
Would love too but don't have any dead hogs right now. Of course back when we butchered everybody rendered lard so my grandpa would have skinned me alive if I wouldn't have skinned close to the hide. And like Magicman said, you don't cut thru the hair to slice the hide. The way the saw was being used should have pretty well scrambled the insides. Of course we skinned and saved the head too. And on and on ------------ ;D

Woodchuck53

Evening all. Any one else use compressed air or hp water to inflate the hide from the body and cut out from there? We used to harvest several at a time from our soy beans when I was younger and that was a quick way to get them processed.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

WildDog

QuoteAny one else use compressed air or hp water to inflate the hide from the body and cut out from there?

Not for pigs, but I have been meaning to give it a go on goats.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

LeeB

how well does it work on hogs? how much fat and meat come away with the skin?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pineywoods

The air hose trick works on humans. I had a not-so-bright guy who worked for me. He was cleaning some greasy parts and cut his hand on a sharp edge. He grabbed an air hose and turned it in the cut to clean out the grease and gunk. Blew his hand up like a balloon and peeled the skin off most of his hand.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

Found a vid using the air technique on deer. This was an ad peddling a set of needles, but the vid shows the procedure. Looks like it would work quite well (for hogs too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEJfBZAbtPU&feature=related
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

We skin them with a four wheeler and a rope, seems quicker than that, and  you still get the whole hide.

CLL

Yep, cut below hocks, put tennis ball in hide, tie a rope around it and pull hide off.  CLL
Too much work-not enough pay.

Thank You Sponsors!