iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wow

Started by Den Socling, November 09, 2011, 12:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

I'm supplying a vacuum kiln to a company that cuts African hardwoods. I was looking at their website this morning and came across this "stem". One awesome log!

easymoney

it would take a while to saw that up with your wood-mizer.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Mooseherder

They may need to purchase more than one of your kilns. :)
Looks like they put the heavier butt flare up on the front of the trailer. :D

Magicman

Wow is right.  I'm kinda like Ray Stephens right now.  How did you get that big Harley up on that diving board?

There are many things about that log that I would have loved to see happen.  Felling, loading, sawing, lumber.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

I wonder what our DOT would say although I suspect the driver would get life without parole. :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

zopi

I don't think the Lt15 is gonna do.....
Might need a bigger scale stick too...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

T Welsh

Den, WOW is right. Tim

Peter Drouin

:o :o :o :D thats a lot of wood .I wonder what kind of tree that is?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bill Gaiche

Can you get the company to tell you about this log? bg

clww

Anybody want to guess how many board feet in that one?
That's an impressive looking log. Can you imagine bucking that with a crosscut saw, as they used to do here 75 years ago?!?!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

zopi

Crosscut, I can't imagine how they cut the big bugger square...one long bar and a talented guy on a chainsaw...

That would make one fine totem pole...big carving job though...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Brad_bb

Is that for real.  I mean  green hardwood, of that size.  How can the truck/trailer even handle that weight?  Why did they leave it so long and not buck it?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Piston

Zopi,
Maybe if we put our 15's together we could do it?   ;D

Any chance that is photoshopped?  If not then, Ho  Lee Smokes.   :o
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Al_Smith

I have no idea what it is .However just as a tid bit of info on certain types of hardwood ,white oak for example a quarter sawn heavy long plank used for a keel plate of a multi million dollar yacht would not only be rare but very costly .

First off  a tree large enough and good enough to cut a premium plank would be like looking for a hens tooth .Then to transport let alone fell one of that size would be a task .Further to find a large enough mill of  some sort would be few and far between .

It all adds to up to cost-a- plenty .

LeeB

I believe a lot of logs that size go to Germany, where ther are band mills that specialize in breaking down big honkers like that. Can't remeber where I read the article about it. Was quite a few years back. I can't remeber what I read on here yesterday for that matter.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Al_Smith

You get into some of that rare stuff it's a niche market .For example the guy that retrieves sunken old growth from the great lakes .

A local hardwood jockey within the last few years shipped a pretty fair sized musical grade maple log to Japan .The log sold for nearly or over 30,000 bucks not counting the cost of shipping in a specialy constructed container full of water that kept the log slowly rotating .

Now who's to say how many violins or guitars that thing would make but it must have been worth it else they wouldn't have ponied up the money .Of course the instruments will probably fetch the price of a new Cadillac .

Al_Smith

Here's another oddity .In my living room is a beautifull wall unit which was made in Germany and purchased by a serviceman stationed there .My wife bought it for rather reasonable price .Here's the kicker it's made of US grown white oak and likely from the very area I live in .It came full circle so to speak .

Den Socling

Here's another picture. I don't believe there is any Photoshopping. I should give you a link but, like some of our customers, they don't want anybody to know they are using a vacuum kiln. Some companies won't let us put them on our "customers" list at our website.

I'll ask a little about the trees.

Den Socling

I was looking at their site again. Check out the last set of wheels on the trailer.

5quarter

Ipe gets that big and is pretty common. I wonder how they loaded that big boy?

Where's Customsawyer when you need him... :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Al_Smith

Most likely not with a skidloader .

Den Socling

The customer tells me the wood is called Sipo. I Googled and found 4/4 Sipo at Woodworker's Source. Only $7.99 a board foot.

mometal77

Behind me fir trees were that big.  So big the columbia helicopter could not lift them 25,000 ibs payload.  So the loggers had to cut the logs in half with a special bar that was over 7 ft long if i remember.  All the fir went over to japan I was told.  When Trillium owned most of the land around here than Crown Pacific now Sierra out of Cali own everything.  No more big trees they strip mined everything.  And it took them 4 yrs to replant.  Took my dad and me over 2 months in repairing damaged pipe to his hyro electric plant Trillium paid for the repairs.  Trees that big i found kinda change the landscape. :D
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

WildDog

Some good pics there, a bloke could have some fun with those logs :), Thanks for shareing.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

sawguy21

I remember a picture of a single Douglas fir under two trucks on a logging road here. It was being transported to Osaka for the B.C pavilion at the world's fair. One issue was being careful not to scrape the bark off on the embankment while negotiating turns. They had to be DanG good drivers. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm trying to figure out how many tomato stakes I could get outta that log.....hummmm!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

QuoteI wonder how they loaded that big boy?

Common trick would be to use a Cat D8. Dig a trench beside the log so the truck can drive in and leave the trailer at ground level, then roll the log on. Pull the truck out of the hole with the D8.

With logs that size you only need to get one per day   ;)

I'm also guessing they aren't big on Weigh Bridges in that area either.  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Piston

I figured they used a crane but  it's probably more likely they'd have a big dozer around than a big crane.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Den Socling

The customer said he will send me pictures and a movie of harvesting. I'll post them when I get them. This is going to be interesting!

Ms Meadows Miller

Wow is right!!!! Looks like MagicMan's tree in MS! Chris would love to have a go at that one. LOL

customsawyer

I am here but a tad nervous. I have been known to bite off more than I can chew with comfort. I would have a go at it though I might need a couple of other tools. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

You can split it with a chainsaw and I will take pictures  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Did that on three logs today. ;D  Got some nice 16" wide quartersawn boards.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

Al_Smith

If you chainsaw milled three red oak logs you've done days work I'll say that .

Thank You Sponsors!