iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First job

Started by woodbeard, January 26, 2004, 06:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

Well, I went at it again today. Brought in some more logs, too.
This is actually my first paying gig, some cedar 6x6 for a house I am working on for someone. Bought the logs for .40/foot, I can saw them for .20/foot and still beat the local price of .65. I was worried that I wasn't going to get as much bf of lumber as I was buying in the log. Eastern red cedar logs are sold on their own scale, known as the "cedar scale", apparently almost the same as the international 1/4 scale. In any case, most everything else around here is sold on the Doyle scale. A 10.5"dia. 10' cedar log is 45bf by the cedar scale, but only 26 by Doyle. But I managed to get a 6x6, a 2x6 and a 1x6 out of that log- exactly 45bf, so I guess the cedar scale works pretty good for cedar. Plus, I can sell the slabs for a couple bucks a piece. The swing blade can leave an L-shaped slab which I realized can be put on a outside corner of a wall, so I think I will try to make a few of those.
Got 2 logs cut this afternoon, still taking my time and figuring things out. :P
Having a heck of a time, though! ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Sounds great George. Get the blade diving problem fixed???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Haytrader

Me was wonderin the same thing?
 ;D
Haytrader

woodbeard

Kinda sorta, enough to cut this stuff anyway. I just made this it's own thread, but I added more to the blade diving one as well.

Thank You Sponsors!