iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do something different this Christmas

Started by RandyMac, November 07, 2011, 03:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyMac

Its one of the best ideas to come down the pike in awhile. I agree with it whole heartedly . . . . .We got to get this country back on track and this is one way to do it!

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American labor. This year will be different. This year Americans will give the gift of genuine concern for other Americans. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by American hands. YES THERE IS!

It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper?

Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local American hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plunking down the Benjamin's on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.

There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint.

Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running. OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theatre. Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of light, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about US, encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine. THIS is the new American Christmas tradition.

Forward this to everyone on your mailing list -- post it to discussion groups -- throw up a post on Craigslist in the Rants and Raves section in your city -- send it to the editor of your local paper and radio stations, and TV news departments. This is a revolution of caring about each other, and isn't that what Christmas is about?
As Tiny Tim said, "May God bless us, each and every one."

Got any creative ideas of your own? Add them on and pass along
Have you heard about the guy who claims to have felled 2 million trees?

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WH_Conley

Bill

Den Socling

We pretty much do this with adults. It's the Grand-kids who are the problem. They aren't old enough to read a gift certificate.  :-\

T Welsh

I am in with both feet both hands and the wife,s and the dogs Too. because we Americans and we should support Americans, if every American thought this way we would not be in the mess we are now! Tim

zopi

>make< gifts. Heck...most of us on here have sawmills...maple sawmill slabs make gorgeous bread and cheese boards,, and it is stupid easy...plane, scrub, sand and oil...
Garden bench for dad...
Playhouse for the grandkids...
Sewing box for ma..
Humidor for that wierd uncle nobody likes but you...
Got a lathe? Take some of that wierd spalted junk and make candleholders...
Or some nice rock maple and make rolling pins...
Take a four or six inch log, lay it on the mill, bandsaw off one face an inch or so deep...chainsaw off eight inch sections, alternate angle and square...take a forstner bit bore out the inside, bore an inch and a half hole in the face, slap a chunk of slab on top, spray with poly...birdhouse...can make a dozen in a couple hours...
Got some older neighbors having a hard time? Go help em out...I do alot of tree work for older fixed income folks who cannot afford it...most will not take charity, but I will work for cookies..
Or...just be...together...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

sprucebunny

Kids might understand going roller skating or seeing the iceCapades or another family trip to a special place.

There are websites that list many made in America companies.
http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

rbhunter

Thanks sprucebunny, I added it to my favorites. I like to support America when I can.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

mometal77

Randy look up the documentary "Blood sweat and Tee shirts" it will open most people's eyes to what is going on over seas. 
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

T Welsh

zopi, I like your idea too!I have a respect for my elders and will do what I can when on job sites that involve them. Tim

thecfarm

Pay for a newspaper for a year,subscribe to a magazine. How about a calendar made up with the Grand kids pictures. We have one and look forward to a new month.  AAA or another one like that. When my Father passed away,my Mother never drove a car,some of her friends would pick her up. How are 2-3 70 year old women going to change a tire? I got her the plus so if she was in a car they all was covered.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Papa1stuff

Or gift certificates to Goldern Corral ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Norm

Quote from: thecfarm on November 08, 2011, 06:20:03 AM
How about a calendar made up with the Grand kids pictures. We have one and look forward to a new month.  

We have one from our son with pictures of what was going on at that time during the year. Patty and I love it!

florida

:D
I think to be fair we should embargo Canadian products too, after all, they aren't made in America. China, Canada, same thing and they even start and end with the same letter!

So no more Tilley endurable hats for me, no more Corollas, Kenmore trucks, Honda Ridgelines, or Ford Crown Vics. No Corel software, forget Kenmore or GE appliances, they might have been made in Canada. And let's not forget all that Canadian wood we import or all that Canadian oil! Darn Canadians, stealing American jobs...................................
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

oakiemac

A customer of mine makes very unique and cool wooden toys out of Maple that I supply him. His shop is in Missouri and he has won several awards for these toys. There are good old fashioned gifts made my craftsmen out there- you just have to look.
I love the idea of not buying cheap imported junk. I'm 100% behind this idea.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

sprucebunny

Here's a website for American made toys.

http://www.toysmadeinamerica.com/

Buying American and Canadian products, especially local things could have a much more positive effect on the economy than camping out in a city park....
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I don't buy Christmas ornaments, but are you guys buying those $9 glass American made tree bulbs?  :D :D :D I forget the brand, but it's American made and there are shelves of it in Walmart Canada. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

D Hagens

If you really want to do something different and keep it American and make sure your American buck stays in your country then why not donate your money to the forum :) 8)

RynSmith

That reminds me, D Hagens...  Thanks
8)

Thank You Sponsors!