iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Want to build a log arch

Started by wvwoodchuck, November 05, 2011, 10:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvwoodchuck

I'm wanting to build a log arch.  I've searched through some of the old posts on here and found some great ideas.  My biggest hurdle is trying to figure out how or where to get the wheel axles for the small tires.  Any ideas or places to get them?

islandlogger

Welcome to the forum!! You will likely get alot better answers then mine, theres a wealth of knowledge on here!! What kind of production are you looking at? Hobby cuttin? Firewood? Timber? Arches are great but most of the ones used today are single log or small load capacity. For me I need to keep production up a bit to keep the wood flowing and to keep me busy which makes me happy!! I recently bought a Old School Arch like the ones they used back in the to tug behind the cats, put in a search for Wheeled Hyster Logging Arch and you can see what I mean. I rigged mine up to pull twitches with my JD 310D

islandlogger

wvwoodchuck

I'm just looking to build one for a single log.  I would be using it to drag the logs in for firewood or to take to the sawmill.
Thanks for the quick reply.

islandlogger

Then I'm sure you will have some good guidance coming soon from some folks here, like a say a wealth of knowledge and good people on here that are willing share and help point in the right directions. Where are you located and what kind of mill have you got set up??

Tom the Sawyer

wvwoodchuck,

When I built my log arch I got the rear stub axles from a salvage yard.  I have heard that stub axles from a Chrysler minivan or mid 90's GM front wheel drive cars work.  Mine are from a 95 Grand Am.  The stub axles, hubs, wheels and tires for $125.  There is a pic in my gallery but I can send you closer pics if needed.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

beenthere

wvwoodchuck
Welcome to the forum.

What are you planning to pull the log arch with?  ATV? tractor? by hand?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Piston

Wwoodchuck,
The axle/wheel setup was the hardest thing for me to find.  I lucked out searching craigslist for any old trailers without straight axles.  I found a small sailboat with trailer and made a call, the owner questioned why I was only asking about the trailer axles and not the boat (I was going to ask if he would sell the trailer seperately) and I explained what I was looking for.  It just so happened he had another small sailboat trailer in his backyard that he told me I could have for free  8)

Obviously this was luck, but point being a lot of old sailboat trailers apparentely have the type of axles I was looking for, not to mention I was able to use a lot of the steel off the trailer for the arch supports/tounge which saved a lot in steel cost. 

Here is a pic of the axle/hub setup after I cut it free from the trailer. 

There are more pics in my build thread if you haven't seen it already.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,45388.0.html

What size logs will you be hauling the majority of the time? 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

thecfarm

wvwoodchunk,welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a plan. You must own land with trees to cut down?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

Mine was recycled about 3 times before they ended up on the arch...cotton wagon to a bridge overhanging schaffold to an arch....Origioally some kind of old car or truck..  But you can get wheels to build trailers and such from Tractor Supply around here if you can't schavangin anything...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

wvwoodchuck

Wow.  Thanks everyone.
We have about 35 acres with about 10 having standing timber.  We had a state forester come out and he told us we have some trees that are worth something, but not enough for a logger to come in.  So....my wife and I decided to cut them and take them to the mill and sell them.  I really want to buy a bandsaw mill, but the finances are not very supportive right now.
Maybe after some logs sold, I'll have a down payment. ;D  The other dead and non valuable trees are going into the wood stove. 

rwc

where in WVV do you live? I am near Elkins and just ordered a hud son HFE21

wvwoodchuck

Quote from: rwc on November 06, 2011, 08:29:05 AM
where in WVV do you live? I am near Elkins and just ordered a hud son HFE21
I live near Lewisburg.  I've talked with the dealer of the Hud son mills and it sounds like a good mill.  Please keep me posted on how well you like your new mill.

crtreedude

One thing I have been thinking about is BIG wheels, like the old wooden wheels. The bigger diameter, the easier they pass over ruts, etc. I might try my hand at making some wooden wheels, or perhaps metal just to see how well they might work. I am thinking something a meter across or so.

The small the tire, the more likely to get it stuck in a rut, so keep that in mind.

I have made some excellent carts for behind horses using motorcycle tires. Of course, it might be a problem with too much weight, but the larger wheel sure works well.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

jander3

For the green arch, I got Volkswagon hubs from the junkyard.  I think I gave about $30 bucks.   I also got two of the small tires used as spares for vehicles...perfect sized for an arch.

Taylortractornut

From  my salvage experiences, the rear axl from any of the Dodge and plymouth Caravans have some nice drop axles for woods trailers and  an arch I made.     If you want some tall metal wheels  look at an old set of tractor tires the Amish made into a set of steel wheels.  They  can take them and  make a nice thin tall rim for them.    I have a friend that bought a farm that was over run with Oasage orange  sapplings and fenches and some other kind of thorns.    He had an 806  Farmall    He ate a set of tubes the first day.   Found a set of these wheels and used them  till the mowing was done lol.   THen put them on an arch for  movng sme downed trees.
My overload permit starts after sunset

Dakota

You can get stub axels that will fit into a common size pipe or square tube from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company.  I'm sure they are made in China but they have served me well.

Dave Rinker

rick f

find some mobile home axels and tires.

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

caveman

I used mobile home axles and tires when we built our arch.  They will carry a fair load and sometimes can be had for free.  I have less than $100 in my arch (pulleys, hooks, cable).  Most of it was built from salvaged stuff.  At times, I have been able to pick up junk trailers to make into other projects at the county landfill.  Caveman
Caveman

tapper2

I built one in an afternoon with a bunch of scraps on the property. Driving mower wheels, an old trailer tongue and pieces of a snow plow frame. Works awesome. If you need to haul good distances or kind of fast, you should definitely use hubs with sealed bearings. Mine just uses greasable shafts. I don't go too fast in the sugarbush, so it does fine.

Are you looking to build bigger??
Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

mrpink

I'm in the process of gathering the stuff to build a log arch myself. mine will be to pull behind my tractor and to completely lift the log instead of dragging it. that should keep a lot of dirt off the log and be easier on the land. for axles I will be using mobile home axles. I have a couple laying around not being used and should be able to support 2'-3' pine logs that I need to move around.

Taylortractornut

I helped build one a few  years ago that  was a heel type as the man I was helping called it.     It was a bit longer than a regular arch.       We made a heel like a knuckleboom has on the stick.   THis ewn near the  front of the  tongue. 
You backed over the log and     got the  heel over top of the  butt of the log and     hooked the choker off center of the log.   When the winch lifted it up  the front came off the ground first and  then heeled up and  then the end would raise.  This was a big arch made with the spindles and tires off a 2 ton truck.   
My overload permit starts after sunset

kelLOGg

I used mobile home axles, too. A chain hoist lifts the bulk of the log and a come-long lifts the remainder so I can get a 16 foot log completely off the ground to avoid dirt in the bark. Has a 40" throat.

Here's a pine going to the mill.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Piston

KelLOG,
That thing is a monster!  :o

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

wvwoodchuck

I didn't expect all the replies.  This is great and a lot of great suggestions and tips.  Thank you all very much.

KelLOGg...that thing is a beast!!

Banjo picker

I am glad I didn't put a pic. of my whimpy looking thing on this thread...KelLOGg I think maybe that is the strongest looking arch I have seen.... :)  I like it....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!