iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

zuma float setting

Started by simonmeridew, November 05, 2011, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonmeridew

How do I set the level of the float on a zuma carb for my 034? Do I bend the end of the lever till it's even with the outer case of the carb?
thanks
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

T Welsh

simonmeridew, From my knowledge if you are installing a rebuild kit you do not need to set these. they are set from factory! if you need to reset one,thats a different story. I would set it a few thousands below the body of the carb. these little carbs are really finicky and you might have to play with it until you get it right. can you give us a reason for resetting it? Tim

NCFarmboy

To answer your question yes you bend the lever.  The best way is to use a lever setting tool.  Both Zama and Walbro have one.  They are about $6.00 ea.  To the best of my knowledge All 2 stroke carbs. set level with either the top of the carb or with the area surrunding the lever.  They are set at the factory not necessarily correct and someone may have been in the carb. before. 
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Al_Smith

You can look it up on Zamas' web site if you so desire .Don't try for Zuma though they are nonexistant .

T Welsh

Al_Smith

:D I was born ornery and sometimes I even crack myself up .I just can't help myself at times  :D I forgot to add ,there is not float in the carb.

simonmeridew

ZAMA it is. My bad.

I bought this saw off Ebay 2 years ago or so, never was right. We used it as a spare saw when my son logged for lumber for his house.
Started hard, ran ok for a few minutes, then when you tilted it down as in limbing it misfired then stalled, then wouldn't start. I tried various things, new plug, fuel line, impulse line, even a new piston, not a lot of help. Put it in the corner of garage

Fast forward last week: I didn't remember doing anything to the carb back several years ago. Why don't I take it apart to see if dirt or something is in it.     I'm used to the Walbro carbs in my other 034 saws, in these, the float lever can be leveled with a screwdriver spanning between the carb base near the lever. Not so the ZAMA: it has only the outer rims of the carb base, nothing close to the lever, and when I got it apart, this float lever was way down below that level. So I took a putty knife to span between the outer rims and bent the lever to touch the putty knife. Result it runs much better, after I adjusted the H mixture screw. It was waay rich at 1 turn, but at 3/4 turn it has plenty of power but still burbles when let off. Evidently it wasn't getting enough gas when pointed out of level where the float lever was.

Thanks for your help.

simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Al_Smith

Okay now with the rest of the story said here's most likely what you have .As the diaphrgm starts to get stiff from age it wouldn't be as supple as when it was new .As a result it can't expand enough to trip the fuel shut off lever which you refer to as a float lever .By adjusting it up it will work to a point .This often buys you some time until it gets so stiff it won't work at all .

The only long term cure is a carb rebuild which isn't that difficult nor expensive to do .

Cut4fun

The lever you adjust is called a fulcrum. You can buy a zama tool shaped like a Z for a few bucks and it has the zama carb settings on it for each model to measure and set height with right.
Also one for walbro in the shape of a W so you cant screw up which one to use.  ;)

link with pic http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZT-1-Zama-Z-500-13-1-Walbro-W-Carburetor-Metering-Tools-/110753135681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c966bc41

Thank You Sponsors!