iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Mobile Job

Started by 123maxbars, November 04, 2011, 09:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Hello, just wanted to update the board on my first mobile sawmill job. I have a LT28 with the log deck package. I have had the mill for about two months now. I have stayed busy cutting logs that people bring to me and have made more from it that I thought I would. I placed a local add and never a day passes that my phone rings. But I have learned that out of every five people that call, two of them will actually either bring you logs, or show up to buy your lumber. I am a police officer so this is my hobby that more that pays for its self which was my goal. I have a good set up on my property with a drive way separate from my house that goes to my mill. I have a good shelter for it and a Kubota tractor with forks for log handling. Anyways, I did my first mobile job this week at farm a few miles from me. I charged the customer 250 per thous. He wanted random width 4x4 siding. I got there to find the logs were nicely stacked but that were on a down hill slope. I had to position my mill (which was the only place I could place it) above the logs. That meant as I winched them up on the mill they were not on level ground, it was light winching them up hill just to get them on the mill. And the customer was at work so I was out of luck and just had to deal with it. I got half his logs milled before I had to move to another pile and got all of them milled. Anyways i milled 1kboard feet for the guy, but had a terrible time loading them. Lesson learned was to tell the customer that level means level and dont have the logs staged down hill from the mill.  It was at least a 2 foot drop on elevation from where the mill was to the logs. I had a few logs fall off while trying to winch them on the deck. Anyways I learned a lot and enjoyed making money with my hobby despite the log placements. I told the guy I would come back and do the rest of the logs if he moved them either up hill from the mill or a tleast on a level area.  Anyways, mobile jobs are good for the money, but I hope to do most of my milling at home. 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

zopi

A hilift farm jack is often helpful in adjusting the logs on the ramp...I am contemplating a cable harness that extends just shy of the end of the ramps..to keep the logs from pivoting on the ramps...
Glad to hear you are getting some business!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

cypresskayaksllc

It could have been worse ;D
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Piston

That's great your getting some business and a litte profit for your hobby.  Seems like a lot of guys start out just like you  ;D

I was thinking of getting the LT28 to replace the LT15 I have and asked some advice from the forum.  Jim Rogers sent me a packet that had some really useful information on it.  He made up a short general overview that he sends to his customers and it explained, in easy to understand terms and drawings, what he expected when he arrived at the site.  You might send him a message and see if he would share it with you. 

How are you liking the LT28?  I still think about upgrading when the time is right  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!