iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forum Members

Started by Autocar, November 04, 2011, 04:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I have been so blessed in that I have been self employed since I was 25 years old. There was very few football games, wrestling matches or soccer games that I missed. That is not because my business was so successful that I didn't have any money worries but I knew that the time I had with the boys was going to be shorter than I wanted.
In your business life there will always be things to worry about, dollars to chase or deals to close. In your family life you only have the moments to take with you. You must learn to recognize the moments and seize them. Like a trip to a cabin with a friend, or the few times I had to go through Jacksonville, Fl. to get parts for some equipment I would stop and pick up Mr. Tom. We would get some lunch (usually BBQ) pick up the part and do some visiting. I cherish the time I got to spend with Mr. Tom.
Last year on a bike ride through the mid west I got to meet Bro. Noble and spend the night with him and his family. I will hold that visit very dear to my heart for the rest of my life. I met with a few other members on that trip and am very thankful that I was able and welcome to do so.
I don't have very many answers to life but I learned from Curly on the movie City slickers, that there is only one thing that matters and everything else don't mean much.  Keep your one thing as your main goal and you will be much happier in life.
My one thing is my family!
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SwampDonkey

Mother has said, on more than one occasion, concerning extended family and acquaintances: "If they can't come see me when I'm alive, then don't bother when I'm dead". And she means it. ;D  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Ya Jeff, I think you do a stand-up job to keep the forum going. I enjoy reading all the replies of the members on the different subjects.  And I learn a lot. What to  and what not to do. But I'm like the rest of you being workaholics. I do take time off in the fall to go to all the fairs in NH, Maine and Vermont. And for the last two years I have been demonstrating the Wood-Mizer at the Sandwich Fair.  The last fair of the season in NH. This year was beautiful weather and they had a record crowd of 40.000 + and I think I talked to half of them. After 3 days my ears hurt :D :D :D But I do love to saw wood and talk with my customers. Most of them are stand-up people, but you know sometimes there can be a bad apple and I don't let them get me down. I just had all my chainsaws stolen and I was upset for about 15 minutes then went out and bought new saws. I'm trying Dolmars this time instead of Huskys.Just bought a 9 acre woodlot that hasn't seen a saw in 30 plus years. Can't wait to get in there to cut. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

There is one thing more tragic than waiting until someone is gone and then wishing that you had done more with them.  That is for both of you to be alive and and still not doing it.  Visit now, catch up on old times, do a favor or return a favor.  Sit on the front porch and rock together.

I try to pass on a gentle reminder with each post that I make.  "Before you die....take time to live".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Retirement, means to me,I can do what I want,when I want and as much as I want. If I want to cut wood and cut down a tree and walk off and start to dig rocks,or go for a walk and get back to the tree a day later than so be it. I try to talk to people I see in stores from years ago. Teachers,co workers,class mates whoever. It only takes a few minutes most times,sometimes longer,but that is fine too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

crtreedude

What is weird for me is that I seem to be able to learn to do most anything BUT retire. We have enough, and more, for me to never work again, but whenever I clear out the work, the next thing you know, I pick up another project, etc.

Oh well, I guess it keeps me happy... and keeps me out of my wife's hair.  :D

But, I don't fish enough and don't visit friends enough. I definitely spend enough time walking the plantations though, which is fun.

Our daughter and a girl friend are sending three weeks with us right now, and that is wonderful. Adult children as so much more fun than teenagers.   :D Especially when they turned out well.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Piston

I'm away from my wife quite a bit with work, and when we first bought our house we wanted to do a lot of upgrades to it, so I was working extra and away a lot.  A couple of years ago we both made a decision to enjoy life more, and learn to relax, to spend more quality time together. 
Since then, I stopped going a million miles a minute and working all day everyday when I was home from work.  I've really learned to relax and smell the roses. 

I'm now home as much as I can be, still away a lot, but home on vacation 6 months a year. 

We came up with some small, seemingly insignificant ideas, a couple of the ideas we came up with, were to always go to bed together, we don't go up to the bedroom until the two of us are both ready.  Every morning when we wake up, we wake up together, we make coffee together, and we sit on our couch in front of the window drinking our coffee, looking at the birds in the trees, the horses across the street, the snow in the winter, and the leaves in the fall.  We talk, the t.v. stays off....we have some of our best conversations on that couch in the mornings.   

Last year my wife quit her job, it was the best decision we've ever made.  Now we're working on starting a family.  I hope I learned early enough in life to enjoy everyday like it was the last, to not wish the day away, to realize it's okay if something goes unfinished when it's time to relax . 

Another rule we have, no chores after dinner.....Thats quality time for each other. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

SwampDonkey

Yeah Piston, that not wishing the day away is hard enough when the days are going bye fast anyway. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

AvT

I remember when I was a kid we would say to each other "lets play men".  I am one that thinks work is good.  it is our playtime.  My toys are work toys.  I don't have any holiday trailers, boats, fancy quads or motorcycles.  Am I happy?  Not really, because I dont think I am working hard enough and my enegy level is low.  My excuse for being somwhat unhappy is that I am in my fifties.  It's not just me.  I think being in your fifties is quite devastating for a lot of people.  I have also heard a lot of people that have a hard time in their fifties snap out of it in their sixties and have a whole new energy then.  That is what I am hoping for.. at least I'm still looking forward to something
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Den Socling

All through my life up to my 50's, I loved work. Then my metabolism changed and I have to push my butt. Oh well. Now I have more time for this forum.

DR_Buck

QuoteToday I had an epiphany. In the last month I've lost two good friends. Friends that now that they are gone, I regret not having spent more time communicating with them. I let other things get in the way of that. Tuesday I am going with Steve. the stuff I need to do will be here when I get back. If it isn't, I'm not going to fret about it.  

I lost one of my childhood and on best friends last month to a terrible disease.  We lived about 5 hours apart and the visits became very few and far between over the last 10 years. Upon hearing of his passing my first thoughts was i wished I had gotten up to visit more often.  At this point this scenario is becoming more frequent.   Last year the wife and I decided that 1 weekend a month we were going to do something with family and friends instead of the things that needed being done.   It's been a difficult thing to accomplish but we're still trying to make it happen.   The good news is that all of the things needing being done are always there when we get back to them.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

HuZzEy

I'm probly the youngest one to reply to this. my wife gets on me all the time about not spending enough time with her and our almost 2yr old daughter and I always have an excuse for going off and doing something .I guess it was the experiance I had as a boy, my dad worked from early morning to Late nights hauling asphat with his own truck and you know how boys want to be like there dad. Well after diesel school I've worked from before sun up to midnight for 4yrs I've tried to change but there is always something to be done. last night my wife invited her parents and mine for supper and me and dad went outside and changed the water pump on our skidder, took longer than we thaught so my wife went to bed mad at me agian.i keep telling her one day I'll everything will be done but she don't bileave me.  

Jeff I haven't been on FF longer but I think your a great guy. james H

JV

I have been very blessed over my lifetime to have widely varied work experiences and to have worked with many very talented people.  My wife has continually been on me to pass some of it to our sons and grandsons.  Health restrictions have forced me to do so lately and guess what, it isn't that difficult to quietly guide them through a project.  Probably a man's greatest achievement is a respected family he leaves behind.  I can't make up for all the time I missed when they were growing up, but I can be there with a helping hand.  I need to see and contact some old friends before time takes away that option.   ;)
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

thecfarm

That little girl of yours will be out of high school and you will still be working from sun up to sun down. Money is nice,but memories are better. That is one quick way for a child to go bad. You HAVE to be there for her NOW. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Don't want to be hard on you,but someone besides your wife has to do it.   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

I agree with thecfarm.

Take it from a guy that worked on the road for most of my son's growing up years. They are only young once.  :)

LeeB

You can't make new old friends.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Den Socling on November 06, 2011, 10:43:26 AM
... Then my metabolism change and I have to push my butt. ...

Den,

In my case at least, that's fairly strenous exercise.  :D

Herb

Don_Papenburg

One of my friends dad told me that he was 80 years old and and never did get everything done that he wanted to and was sure as hell not going to start now. 
I always tell people that chide me about some ,well many projects I have not finished yet , If I die tomarrow look at all the work I will not have to do .
Just enjoy  life .  Don't  put up with the cumudgons that only want to make life unhappy for you .    There are people that enjoy making other people miserable , avoid them .  Help the people that want to make life enjoyable.   
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Piston

Quote...There are people that enjoy making other people miserable , avoid them .  Help the people that want to make life enjoyable.   

Well said Don!  ;)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Norm

Thanks to this thread I got to see my son and grandson last night.

I was out using the ripper planning on being finished well after midnight when I got an email from my son Joel. He was going to stop by with his 18 month old son to pick up some supplies I have stored for them in our office here around 6pm. Patty called me shortly after 6 and said we had visitors at the house. Instead of explaining that I had to have this finished before the rains showed up I threw it into high gear and headed for the house. Had a nice visit with Joel and Cael and a late supper with Patty.

That field isn't going anywhere.  :)

OneWithWood

Time is the coin of your life.
It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it is spent.
Be carelful less you let other people spend it for you.
                                   -Carl Sandburg

I kept this taped to the wall in my office for many years.  When the opportunity came to retire early I jumped on it. 
I work harder now than I ever have, but I work on the things I want to work on.  When I am with friends and family it is always quality time because I want to be there.  Much different from I have to be there.

Another quote:  I am the one that has to die when it is time for me to die. So let me live my life the way I want to.
                                  - Jimi Hendrix

If you are not happy, no one can make you happy.  It is up to you!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Sprucegum

ON my job people often ask me to do things for them in my "spare time". I tell them I have only three kinds of time; regular time, over time, and quality time, which one do you want to pay for?

Family time has always been my favorite quality time, especially now with grand children.

Tom_Averwater

I ran out of work with my brother 2 years ago and haven't worked much since . It has been great . I do the house chores and make sure our 10 year old gets to where he thinks he needs to be .the stress level has gone way down . My brother lives to work, I always worked to live . His 2 kids (18 & 19 ) are both in college and he only went on 1 family vacation with them . He has always been too busy working . 
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Thank You Sponsors!