iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forum Members

Started by Autocar, November 04, 2011, 04:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

With the passing of a few menbers I sometimes set back and wonder if the day will come when I say to myself [ I wish I hadn't worked so much ] When our dog died last Friday it floored me how fast it happened one second she was living and in a split second she was gone. For ever how long we may have on this earth, are we doing the right thing ? I buy my fishing license and when I get there before you know it I start thinking about what needs fixed or firewood thats needed for the next winter and I load up and go home. Use to do some hunting trips seems like anymore I come up with a reason why I should be working, I sure wish I could sort it all out before its to late  ::).
Bill

ely

i hear you, im the same way. when i go set in the deer stand i get to looking at all the trees that need processing into one thing or other, and from there i get to thinking about all my projects i need to be working on.

Mooseherder

I think we all could enjoy the journey more.
Waiting to retire to be able to do something you enjoy maybe too late.
A lot of things can get in the way like Time, money, commitments and other people in your life expectations.
Sometimes life throws you a bunch of curves.  You gotta keep da eye on da ball.
I will attempt to enjoy the Journey more so than before. ;)

Jeff

I've been struggling with the same thing right now. I've spent a lot of time up north working in the woods. Its not something I wanted to do, its not something I get paid to do, but its something that needed to be done. I still took care of my other duties for clients while up there, but have been putting off new clients until I got this finished, or at least to a point where the weather puts an end to it, which has pretty much happened. I came home last week figuring on getting to work on the new stuff, then I get a call to go back up, mostly just to be there in case my brother-in-law had further health issues while he was there.   I came home today. In fact I just got home, but now the way things worked out, I will be leaving again Tuesday with Burlkraft for a short road trip that will end with me once again back up at the cabin for the first part of deer season. I still have all of this potential new work ahead of me, and I hate to put people off, but like it was said, life is short.  I've been fretting about having this stuff pile up around me, and end up not enjoying anything I do because of it.  I'm not going to do that. I don't fib to people. I tell them exactly what I intend to do. Sometimes though those plans get screwed up and then I start thinking people will think I'm something I've never been. Someone that does not stand behind what they say.

I guess that is what bothers me more than anything. The way people think. I know there are people on this forum that think I am a jerk, because many times they only see the things I have to say and do publicly to keep the forum running the way it needs to run. I don't like to be perceived that way. I know the people that really know me know who I really am, but I still have those that send me notes about how mean and nasty I am. I don't like it, but live with it.

Today I had an epiphany. In the last month I've lost two good friends. Friends that now that they are gone, I regret not having spent more time communicating with them. I let other things get in the way of that. Tuesday I am going with Steve. the stuff I need to do will be here when I get back. If it isn't, I'm not going to fret about it. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

T Welsh

Jeff, The women call this a mid life crisis in men. YOU are one of the reasons I joined this forum in the first place. so dont beat on yourself to bad. when death comes knocking on the door no one living has control over it. take the time to sort through your thoughts at your pace, it will come to  you! I agree with Mooseherder, its not the destination that counts its the journey getting there. Keep well,Tim

Ron Wenrich

Nobody lays on their deathbed and says "You know, I should have spent more time at work".   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WildDog

Recently I have had the same thoughts. In early family life I did the double/triple shift thing chasing $$$. Now days working for the government in a small rural town and on call I try to give a service akin to being owned by the ratepayers. I would like to scale back a bit and are studying towards starting a small business to supplement the farm and allow me time with my younger children.

Last weekend I ran the mill for the 1st time in 12mths to cut some timber for Nickys chicken sheds, boy was it good to turn the work phones off and get some sawdust happening. :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Al_Smith

Sometimes the best layed plans of mice and men just don't work out .

I could retire right now if I wanted to .However retirement doesn't pay as much as working and retirees insurance is not as good and with a preexisting health problem insurance for my wife would not be cheap .That's just the way the cookie crumbles .

So for now I'll just be a part time weekend warrior type treeman,faller tinkerer of chainsaws and other greasey items .I mean it isn't like I'd care to do it full time anyway .You gotta take time for the better things in life like bear hunting under the sheets and drinking beer ,ya know . 8)--ain't I an ornery old coot ---

fuzzybear

It's been a little over a year since I died from my heart attack. In the hospital I did alot of thinking about what I would do if I made it the next year.  I decided I would try to live each day as it came.
   It has been a long journey since that day. My health is better than it has been for a long time. I owe that to living one day at a time. I make no plans, because plans change. No one knows what's going to happen from minute to minute let alone day to day.
   Stress ruled my life. I always had too much to do, not enough time. Then bam. I can't do anything. I learned to relax. You have to. This life is crazy enough. always take time to do what you really enjoy with people you really enjoy being with. Take time for yourself.
   A good friend of mine told me after my heart attack, "you know that Superman had the Fortress of Solitude, ALL men should have theirs."
   I have no time for drama in my life so I cut out those that caused so much in my life. I surround myself with friends I want there. I never met Tom or Brother noble, but I lost 2 friends that will FOREVER be in my heart. As will the other members of my online family.
  Life is too short and precious to worry about the small details. They will always work themselves out. Instead worry about the things that matter, like what to do I want for supper, What day is mom/dads birthday on, you know the things that really matter. Work never matters.
   If you are not happy with your life change it.  The only thing stopping you is your own fear. Fear about what comes next. The hardest step is the first step. After that you have no choice but to continue.
   Do in your life what makes you the happiest. If you are living your own life then your job should be one that is not a job.  Each day should be an adventure.
   Remember to say " I love you" Everyday, to those you love. They are the ones that will stand beside you through everything life throws at you. Those that mock you are just scared to live their own lives.
   The greatest gift we ever have is freedom. Are you going to chain yourself down and loose your freedom, or are you going to break those chains and live your life to the fullest? The only one that can make that choice is you.
   Life and happiness come from within, nothing external will ever give you true happiness.
Chase your dreams one day at a time.
  And I will end this long winded thought with a quote I found just yesterday, and has become my favorite quote. " I live life one day at a time, sometimes several days gang up on me at once."

I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Autocar

Seems like alot of you guys look at it with a great attitude,but my problem is I seem to be to responsible, I always told my family doctor I wished she had a [ I don't give a s### pill ] I worry about the weather going bad this time of year,I worry about equipment breaking down before it even happens, I worry about having a accident with my log truck and what can happen. Stupid I know but how do you change ? I told close friends that I can ruin a good time worrying about what could happen. I tell myself to change but in the morning I will be in my truck going after the skidder at day light. Many a times I will be going down a road and pass someones house and I will say to myself [ I should stop and see how there doing ] but will rip by and get working. Then a month or so later I will get a call where they passed and I will kick myself for not stopping. But do i change no !Two weekend ago I took a handy cap hunter on a deer hunt and I told my wife that it was the first weekend my mind was at ease and it sure was calming and the crazy part of that I would of liked to get out of that because the weather was good and I should of been in the woods working. Maybe I can blame my mom and dad they worked like dogs there whole life and taught us kids the same thing. I have four older sisters and the oldest at 74 still works ten hour days. Sorry for going on and on but it helps out to know Iam not the only one with the same thoughts  ;)
Bill

pineywoods

Hate to tell you, guys, it don't get any better with age. I'm past the 3/4 century mark and still have the same problem. Always too busy to take the time to spend some quality time with friends and neighbors. Lost a fine neighbor last week. He was in intensive care hospital for 7 months. I went to see him once. Next thing I know, his wife calls, asks if I would be a pall bearer at his funeral   smiley_crying. I have come to this conclusion about FF folks. We blame it on sawdust in the blood, but the truth is, most of us are workaholics and there is no easy cure.  Hug your wife and kids, say hi to your neighbors, tell your friends how much they mean to you.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Burlkraft

Quote from: fuzzybear on November 04, 2011, 06:42:21 PM
   It's been a little over a year since I died from my heart attack. In the hospital I did alot of thinking about what I would do if I made it the next year.  I decided I would try to live each day as it came.

Ain't nuthin' like bein' dead on a table for a bit to totally change your outlook on EVERYTHING. I was dead for 28 seconds or so...  I got lucky...Nailhead didn't. He was the first FF loss for me. I didn't know him long, but for the time I knew him I really respected him and enjoyed his company. I wish we cudda spent a little more time together.

I've gotten 4 plus extra years on my life and I live each day one at a time and I try to enjoy every minute.

That's why Jeff and I are going to enjoy a few minutes this week  ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pigman

Quote from: Burlkraft on November 04, 2011, 08:58:41 PM

.. I live each day one at a time and I try to enjoy every minute.

Steve might enjoy every minute of the day, but he sure works hard sawing all night in his sleep. I even heard him strike a few knots.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: pigman on November 04, 2011, 10:39:21 PM

.. I live each day one at a time and I try to enjoy every minute.

Steve might enjoy every minute of the day, but he sure works hard sawing all night in his sleep. I even heard him strike a few knots.

You sure that wasn't me you heard? After all, I'm just down here in the Panhandle of Florida and LOUD noises do travel, especially at night.

Herb

isawlogs

Jeff and I are going to enjoy a few minutes this week  ;D ;D ;D

Hope you guys have a great time !!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

smiley_beertoast  Make the best of times.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CHARLIE

It's OK to work but don't use work as an excuse not to do the important things in life.
1. Spend time with family. Children grow up fast and you need to be there as they grow up.  You need to be involved with them and not a spectator.
2. Never miss a chance to visit someone.  That chance might not come around again.
3. Always be as nice as you can to people. It might be the last time you have a chance to talk to them.
4. Enjoy life. If you enjoy a certain food or beverage that is "unhealthy", enjoy it but in moderation.
5. Don't put things off. Take that trip, go to that movie or ball game. There will come a time that you can't.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

scgargoyle

Spending the time to raise our son is the best thing I ever did in life.

Right now, I'm building a homestead of sorts in rural SC. It's the second-best thing I've ever done. We planned and saved, and when the time was right, I quit my job, loaded up the tools, and headed for our property. Yes, it's hard work, but it's the kind of hard work I enjoy, and I'm doing it for my wife and I, not some nameless boss in a corporation somewhere. My wife worries about me working alone, but I told her that if the unspeakable should happen, at least she'll know I died a happy man.

I think the luckiest people are those who enjoy their daily work. I always have, minus crummy bosses and working conditions. I'm a tool maker by trade and I enjoy it- I like what I do. It took me a lot of years to realize this, and be satisfied with it rather than trying to one-up the Joneses.

I can't imagine 100% full retirement. I like being busy and having things to do. Unfortunately, I can already tell by some of my aches and pains that I may out-live my body, and be forced to slow down.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Al_Smith

Quote from: scgargoyle on November 05, 2011, 07:59:58 AM

Unfortunately, I can already tell by some of my aches and pains that I may out-live my body, and be forced to slow down.
Well on that I'll tell you exactly what happens,you find a different way of doing things .I know very well . ;)

paul case

I am guilty.
I don't spend enough time with family and friends.
However I blame it on my dad. He taught me to work till I am done. The trouble with that is I never get done.
I went to a basketball game of Dakota's and Scott's last football game of the season this week. I took my wife to dinner and a movie last night. We had a good time.
I strongly recomend the movie we saw. It cost more to get in than a whole evening date when Anita and I were dating but it will be money well spent. COURAGEOUS.

Jeff,
I don't think you are a jerk or have a bad attitude about anything. I think you must be a stand up guy and I for one appreciatte that. If this forum wasn't a family friendly place to be, I wouldn't be on here. I know you work hard to keep it that way. Thank You.  PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ARKANSAWYER

2.  "Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity."
  3.  What profit hath a man of all his labor which he taketh under the sun?
Ecc 1:2&3

Once I asked my Preacher about deer hunting on Sunday.  I told him that I sat in church that morning thinking about how pretty it was out the window and how the deer were probly moving all under my stand.  He told me it was better to be in the deer stand on Sunday thinking about being in church, than in church thinking  about being on the deer stand.  He said then my mind was in the right place even if my body was not.  There is great wisdom in his words.
  For 10 years I worked dawn till dark 6 and sometimes 7 days a week and when I lost it all I was alone and without anything to do.  I have not sawed a log in 3 months now and miss it like I have lost a hand.  But I loved what I did and most of you are the same as me.  So if you are in the skidder in the woods wishing you were in the deer stand or in the deer stand wishing you were in the skidder there is no loss for all is vanity. 
  JUST enjoy what you are doing at the time you are doing it and remember that while some people will say that none lie in the grave wishing they had worked more is not true.  Because I know there are logs that will rot not tasting my blade in order to live again.  For a tree is a creation of GOD and is put here for our use and we honor Him in doing what is right with what we are given.  Let there be no vanity in the waste of a talent or skill and remeber to stop and smell the roses on the journey of life and spend some time on the deer stand.

ARKANSAWYER

Texas Ranger

What Paul said, except I know you to be a standup, guy that is.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doctorb

I didn't know Jeff did standup.  Can't wait to see his show!  :D

Seriuosly,  this push - pull is in all of us.  I hate leaving things undone, so I guess I have been guilty of accepting that things have gone undone at home as a consequence.  Before I got married (age 40) I was married to my work.  I'm sure I still am, and I need to constantly remind myself that my family "job" (ouch!) is much more important.  Our nest is empty starting next fall, so Jenny and I will be looking at each other across the dinner table without the kids as a focal point.  Need to make sure that that's a good moment repeated everyday.    
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

D Hagens

Quote from: paul case on November 05, 2011, 09:05:45 AM

Jeff,
I don't think you are a jerk or have a bad attitude about anything. I think you must be a stand up guy and I for one appreciatte that. If this forum wasn't a family friendly place to be, I wouldn't be on here. I know you work hard to keep it that way. Thank You.  PC

PC just said what I was thinking :)

Den Socling

Quote from: D Hagens on November 05, 2011, 01:07:22 PM
Quote from: paul case on November 05, 2011, 09:05:45 AM

Jeff,
I don't think you are a jerk or have a bad attitude about anything. I think you must be a stand up guy and I for one appreciatte that. If this forum wasn't a family friendly place to be, I wouldn't be on here. I know you work hard to keep it that way. Thank You.  PC

PC just said what I was thinking :)

Me too.

Thank You Sponsors!