iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you guys use Hookaroons?

Started by Piston, November 04, 2011, 11:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Quote from: rwthom279 on January 07, 2012, 04:57:14 PM
Which ones work best?  I've seen them with a bit of a hook, and ones that are pretty square to the handle.  Or do they both have their purposes?  I'm 6'4", I could use a longer reach.

I've got a LogRite 30" Hookaroon, and it works great. It's attached square to the handle, but has a slight curve at the end. I use it for pulling chunks of firewood around... especially when unloading firewood from my trailer. My trailer has rather low sides, but I still had to either climb in to reach the stuff in the middle, or lean way over the side (that gets to my back after a while). With the hookaroon, I can pull most of it out the back, what I can't, I can easily reach from the side.

I've also used it when I volunteered to help clean up an illegal tire dump that seemed to appear and grow on its own over the years. Hooking the tires and flinging them with the hookroon sure beat bending over to grab them out of the grass which was overgrowing them!

My only complaint with the LogRite is that a slightly smaller shaft would make for a more comfortable one-handed grip (I wear a medium sized glove). That might affect LogRite's vaunted strength of their tools, but for a hookaroon, I could probably do with something less stout. Even so, I'm very happy with it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Cutting Edge

I thought the same thing about Logrites handle...thanks for confirming.  I was referring to "old school" hookaroons w/ wood handles and such.  Thats what I would buy...just curious though if they actually do serve different jobs.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

lumberjack48

This is the style of pickaroon you want, it stays hooked in the wood. You can drag wood, pick an carry wood, ect with it.

A hookaroon is made to more less roll wood around, i know i would have had no use for it.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Stephen Alford

Hey Piston, the longer handle works better for me as well. I like the replaceable tips, just add a  piece of reciever stock and set screw.  Real handy for handling trailcut and dragging sliders. A stainless pulphook is easier to find and we hang them in a tweaked hanger for a clawhammer on your belt.   :)   

logon

beenthere

Might be a FF policy that we don't post things on eBay. Might mess up someone's bidding ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DeerMeadowFarm

Yah, I tried to delete it but someone pulled it.

beenthere

Was a nice looking hookaroon, and a healthy price a'ready :)

But think it is more of a courtesy thing, however sending a PM to notify someone that might be looking for an item is a way to do it
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CTYank

Since the arrival of a Logrite 36" pickaroon a few months back, I keep finding uses for it.

It's pretty easy to drive the hook into the end grain of a round, and lift while dragging. Others have figured that out pretty quick. Saves a lot of bending-over.

Makes your arm effectively 3 feet longer. Easy to pull from wood stacks that would otherwise be out of reach, and to empty truck quickly. One fellow likes it for picking debris out of pucker-bushes at a preserve without injury.

Probably the best part, is that it lets you keep your fingers away from stuff that can crush them.  8)
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

bandmiller2

Might be a good tool to keep under your truck seat to repell boarders.Anouther handy tool is an old time slice bar,thats a long steel bar with a "D" handle on one end and a right angle hook on the outher used to hook clinkers out of a coal bed.Its a dandy tool to pull chunks out of your truck bed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Scott

I wouldn't be without one when handling wood for all the reasons mentioned above. I found one in a lake over 30 years ago, and have made constant use of it ever since.
~Ron

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Ron Scott on February 29, 2012, 09:43:43 PM
I found one in a lake over 30 years ago, and have made constant use of it ever since.
OK....there has to be a story to go along with that comment! ???

beenthere

Ron's a diver, like underwater exploration and recovery. He has lots of stories to tell. :)
south central Wisconsin

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: beenthere on March 01, 2012, 02:09:34 PM
Ron's a diver, like underwater exploration and recovery. He has lots of stories to tell. :)

Oh, cool. The only diving I've done (on purpose) was at Disney's Living Seas. My Nephew gives dive tours there and we all got to dive in the aquarium. Kind of neat to be with all that sea life but it was strange having all sorts of people looking in at you!

downeast

Quote from: Stephen Alford on January 10, 2012, 10:38:02 AM
   Hey Piston, the longer handle works better for me as well. I like the replaceable tips, just add a  piece of reciever stock and set screw.  Real handy for handling trailcut and dragging sliders. A stainless pulphook is easier to find and we hang them in a tweaked hanger for a clawhammer on your belt.  :)   

Nailed it Steve: Pulphook ( w. replaceable tip ) is the first go-to tool. Never have seen the extra special SS model though. It's like an extra hand, butt: be warned if you miss , the pulphook has an attraction for thighs with or without Kevlar. ::)

ken999

I never process firewood without a Pickeroon. I've had great luck with Peavy Mfg.

http://peaveymfg.com/products-logging-tools-pickeroons

I like the 24" Kathadin for some things, but mostly use the 36" Penobscot. I'd like to get another with a 6' handle for getting wood out of a pickup truck bed.

I've only briefly used a Logrite pickeroon, but like the wooden handle of my Peavy's better as the grip shape allows me to index the tip better. I know where the tip is pointed without looking.

4x4American

I have a log rite hookaroon that I use constantly.  It is handy for so many things.  I keep it in the cab of my truck.  Works great to pick your teeth with.  When you have frozen boards on the sawmill it helps to get em loose.  I had some firewood on the porch that was froze to it reall good, from that last rain storm that turned into ice.  Hookaroon made it possible to separate the firewood from the deck in a tight spot without ruining wood.  I slipped the hook underneath the log and pryed back.  My hookaroon has killed a bad porcupine before (my friend operating it), it has saved my back in so many ways. 

Jeff- I found that pretty funny the reason why you initially bought yours!

I come to say that youtube channel Wranglerstar has brought to my attention, a thing called an ax-aroon.  Hookaroon on one side, and ax on the other.  Perfect for doing firewood.  When you are moving the rounds around and some aren't all the way split. 
Boy, back in my day..

bandmiller2

Hookaroons, found under water in ponds and lakes were used to pull cut ice chunks, and slipped from cold icy hands. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

I have a LogRite 30" hookaroon. I keep it on the hydraulic box on the Wood-Mizer when sawing, and next to my slab cutting rack when cutting firewood. It saves my back when dragging slabs onto the rack. I'm not sure I'd be able to work slabs two days in a row without it. It's virtually indestructible, although the foam is in rough shape after having been run over a few too many times this last snow storm. Oops. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

ha!  good thing you didnt run over the hook n get a flat!

my 30" logrote hookaroon has been around the block but still works great.  they are awesome for breakig up thick ice.  use the hook to get it started and the back of the head to keep it going
Boy, back in my day..

white pine

I started using a pickaroon last year.  Seriously, I wish i'd heard of them 20 yrs ago.  They are awesome.  Actually thinking of buying another, to work with two,  that's how great they are!

Thank You Sponsors!