iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small tractor suitable for forestry and farm?

Started by woodrat, January 25, 2004, 09:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodrat

I'm getting to the point where a tractor is starting to look really good in terms of materials handling. How much weight will a 30-40 hp tractor carry?
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
Wallenstein FX 65 logging winch
Husky 61, 272XP, 372XP, 346XP, 353
Stihl 036, 046 with Lewis Winch
78 Chevy C30 dump truck, 80 Ford F350 4x4
35 ton firewood splitter
Eastonmade 22-28 splitter and conveyor
and ...lots of other junk...

tawilson

The loader on my New Holland 2120 can lift up to 2450 lbs. I don't have the specs in front of me but the 3 point hitch I believe is about the same. It's a 40hp and workhorse. I've got a Farmi 501 winch on it now and I snag 4 or 5 small logs out at once with ease. I'm doing a lot of clearing and road building and it was the perfect choice for me. I'm surprised how big a tree I can push over with the front end loader. Saves a lot of work.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Captain

We have Seven acres of combined woodland and pasture for the horses.  We frequently cut for others (land clearing/stand management) usually in trade for logs or firewood.

We have a 27hp New Holland 1715 with a bucket.  Works great for the "farm" stuff (grading the driveway, brushog, light bucket work) AND for skidding logs.  It is narrow and boy that 4WD is great!!

It suffers when trying to move logs around the yard.  It is rated for 800 lbs, and it will attempt to pick up all of that, but even with the rear tires loaded they come off the ground.  I've been considering a move, for that reason, up to the 40hp class.  The only holdback is that it does its other jobs so well.

Captain

BBTom

I use a 42 hp Kubota tractor for skidding and for material handling.  Quick attach on the forks and the bucket make switching between the two easy.  With the tires loaded it does a fairly good job of moving logs and lumber.  It has problems with 500 BDFT of green lumber, but handles 250 very well, so I stack in 250 Bdtft stacks. It will skid much more than it will pick up.  I keep eyeing a skidding winch, but haven't bit the bullet yet on one of those.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Tom

I have a Ford 1910. It's the same series as Captain's NH 1715 but the biggest of that line at 28 horse draw-bar.  I got it in 1985 and it's been a real work horse.  It has a front-end loader that will handles small logs and I've skidded 20 foot lengths of 25" diameter logs out of the swamp with it.  You have to stay in the "don't-get-in-a-hurry" frame of mind but it'll get the job done. The loader is good for about a thousand pounds but is handy for tight quarters.  

This is a 4 wheel drive tractor and the extra traction from the front-end is what makes it so strong.  It's also light enough that it doesn't break through in the swamp as easily as a bigger tractor. Whatever you get, try to get 4 wheel drive.

For the bigger stuff, I have a Ford 555A tractor/loader/backhoe. I think it is about 60 horse.  The rubber tires make transportation easy and I use the hoe as a crane boom more than digging anymore.  The Front bucket will pick up most anything I want to saw.

woodmills1

If you can find and/or afford it here is the way to go for using a tractor to help around the sawmill.  This is a Kioti Lk3054 30.5 horse 4X tractor with a Metavic forwarding trailer.  I can do most everything needed including load and unload logs, move slabs, position on mill, and handle beams.  When harvesting trees the hydraulic winch pulls them right up to the tractor for loading with the boom.  I do not yet have forks but they are avaliable for both the bucket and the boom.  Try this link     http://www.payeur.com/

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

J_T

I have a445 Long about 50 horse 4x4 shuttel shift with loader have a small fork lift mast on the rear for skidding. 4x4 is the only way to go if you can be sure you have a rool guard of some sort.
Jim Holloway

slowzuki

Sounds like a bunch of ya need to read up on correct ballasting! Filled tires is not enough.  Check out www.tractorbynet.com

I use a International 584 (52 hp, 4wd) for some skidding but it is too big and heavy for sneaking in around trees.  It would be perfect to hang a winch off the back of though.
Ken

Ed_K

I just bought a MF1433, will put the fransguard winch on and pull the forestry trailer with that. I'll let you all know in a couple weeks how it works out.
Ed K

Haytrader

Would you guys mind posting what these rigs cost?
Haytrader

Tom

My 1910 was $9,000  new in 1985.  The 555A was $30,000

New today they are probably $15 and $50 thousand respectively.

Used machines ar the way to go though.  If you are mechanically inclined, your will know a good one when you see it.  If not, then it would behoove you to have a trusty mechanic, and/or long term operator help you select one.

Be aware of statements like "the pins are a little bit worn" or "it doesn't have a reverse".  Swing pins and loader pins can be expensive.  Internal problems in an engine or transmission can be labor intensive to fix. There is a point where an operator can help you decide whether you are buying a Used machine or a worn-out machine.

Most tractors are very forgiving to hard work and minimal maintenance.  That's not to say that maintenance isn't an important item; but, you can get a good tractor that has a lot of service left even if the prior owner may have neglected it some.  

tawilson

I lied to you about the loader capacity on my 2120. The loader is rated for 1745 lbs. on my tractor. On a larger tractor the same loader(New Holland 7309) will lift the 2400 lbs. I paid 16,500 for the tractor and loader a few months ago. 600 hours on it.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

cpm

Woodrat.  Although I just started milling I have been moving logs for a number of years now with a 30hp kubota. Bought the tractor new in 94 or 95 with the loader for around 19,000. The tractor is 4wd and has pulled logs 24" at the butt and 20' long (I'm sure it could pull much more). The loader is rated for 1058lbs and can usually lift what I want it to. Although the tractor has been excellent there have been times when a little more hp would have helped, especially in the lifting department. Next time (which probably won't be for a long time) I will go at least 40 hp. I plan on eventually putting some forks on the bucket to make it easier to move logs to the mill and it will be interesting to see if the loader has enough to do what i ask it! Good luck! ;D ;D ;D

woodrat

Thanks for all the help. it sounds like 30 hp is a minimum. What about skid steer loaders? a friend who loves his says I shouldn't even consider a tractor, but I like the idea of being able to run 3 pt accessories and so forth. What kind of skidder does a skid steer make? how much weight will one of those lift? can you put a mower on one? how do they fare in on not-so-level ground?

mark

1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
35 ton firewood splitter

Larry

I bought a Ford 1720 4wd near new and cheap in the late 80's.  I was planing to resell it to make a little money but it is still here and all the other tractors are gone.  Bought a Westondorf loader for it with a rated capacity of something like 1,000 pounds.  Know I have lifted a lot more than that.  Got more than 2,500 hours on it and it still runs like new with no repairs other than normal maintenance.  Runs all day on 5 gallons of fuel.  Got fluid in the rear tires, 240 pounds of wheel weights, and usually have something like the winch on the 3-point to add additional ballast.  Chains for the rears when its slick out.  Plenty of power for anything I do.

My only regret is that I wish I could lift a lot more with the FEL. ::)  

I have used skid steers in the 50 HP range.  They lift a lot more weight safer but also make a big mess especially in soft ground.  Won't skid near as much and don't know how you would mow the grass with one. ;)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodrat

1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
35 ton firewood splitter

Plowboy

If I have a choice I will go for the skid loader.  Easier to get around with, faster loading or moving materails, and much stronger and built for tough work.  I have used a couple different loader tractors and end loaders and would rather use a skid loader.  I can take a skid loader and go into most areas and get logs out fairly quickly.  Skid loader faults are that muddy terrain is hard to get around in, and steep slopes can also be tricky.  A skid loader can't go as fast and may cost a little more than a small loader tractor.  As far as attachments you can get a brush mower for the Bobcat skid loaders.  There are also a number of other attachments you can get for skid loaders.  Just my two cents worth.  Plowboy

J_T

Got my 445 4x4 used 3,500 with loader put forks on it has iron weights on rear wheel easer to fix flats I do everything my self . Pick up over 2,700. Things I don't like about a skid steer won't go in mud hard to get in ( im gitting old) pick up lots it will tip forward no ground clearance . On good hard land they turn great but most times I don' have much of that latley been making eight inch ruts.
Jim Holloway

dmccarty

Get a FEL with a grapple or 4n1 bucket.  That way you can
pick up logs without having to leave the tractor seat.

Later,
Dan Mccarty

Tom

Welcome to the forum, Dan.

That' s a famous name down in Ft. Pierce.  I went to school with a Dan McCarty.  I also attended the funeral of Governor Dan McCarty in 1953.  I was taken by Grandfather and remember it well. I especially remember standing in the cemetary amongst all the important people in the State of Florida and many in Federal government.  Ten years old at the time, almost eleven, I didn't understand the ramifications of what was happening but Granddaddy made sure I understood that it was an important gathering.  Today, I could walk the same path and stand in the same spot I did 50 years ago.

Fla._Deadheader

Gotta love them 445's. Had one in Arkansas and it would actually lift the back of the tractor off the ground. Had a Bush Hog brand loader. Had rear tires full of water and anti-freeze.
  Wish I still had it. Skidded logs, dug a cellar in red clay and flint rock, cleared fields, plowed with both front wheels off the ground. That thing would do stuff you would not imagine. Mine was 2 wheel drive and had the locking rear end feature. Mowed Hay, cut Silage, planted 4 rows of corn or cane at a time, hauled cars and trucks home on the boom on the 3 point lift.
  Wish I still had that Tractor, all 43 HP of it. ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

J_T

FD when the rear loses traction I run on the frount as it is gear driven it also has the lock for the rear if yours had had4x4 you would have moved the world  8). Mine has 8.25x20 tractor tires on frount. Just rebuilt shutel shift buddy made a shaft for a gear and we put bronze bushings insted of nedel barrings. How long you think it will last?? Dealer was nuts on parts of course I been told I am tight ;D
Jim Holloway

woodrat

1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
35 ton firewood splitter

J_T

Type in Long AgriBusines Don't know how to post link . :-[
Jim Holloway

jtcweb

You would be suprised with what you can do with even a smaller older tractor, just not as much as fast.  My cousin has skidded logs for firewood out of 120 acres of woods for 20+ years with 60+ year old John Deeres.  One word of warning, do NOT attach to the top of the 3 point hitch and pull from it.  If what ever you are pulling (log) hits something that stops it (stump), the tractor can flip over backwards in a second.  Always pull from the bottom of the 3PH with a draw bar.

Thank You Sponsors!