iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belt whipping

Started by Grower, November 02, 2011, 10:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grower

Gidday, the triple B drive belts whips about a bit too much for my liking at low revs under no load, especially when idling, does anyone have a cure? I was wondering if the idler might have been better sitting closer to the 18" driven pulley. Ta.
Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Bill Gaiche

Try that and even closer to the driver. Trial and erra is sometimes the best way to find out what a piece of equipment wants. Also try putting more tension on the belts first. Good luck,bg

eastberkshirecustoms

You could look into installing a spring loaded tensioner to take out the fluctuations, or perhaps an additional top side idler. Are you running a banded belt or singles? It may be more difficult to tension single belts equally due to size variances in manufacture.

Grower

Ummm yes there is already a spring loaded tensioner installed, we are using a triple B banded belt and I personally I dont think a top idler/backbender is a good idea as the power ideally should be transmitting from the driver to the driven pulley directly.

sgschwend

You can try and measure the belts to see how close they are to the same length.  That is a problem here, the belt lengths are up to a 1/2 size off.  I have the parts store bring in extras and then we use there belt scale to see where they all fall.

The other trick is to reverse the belts so that the labels and joints are at different places.

Steve
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

gunman63

Here i thought this  would of been about the  judge from Texas that whipped his daughter with a belt.

Jeff

I saw the topic title and had a flash back. I was told more then once when I was a kid I had a choice. "Get me the belt, or go cut me a switch." Chose switch once, then chose belt when given the choice. *DanG that weeping willow tree that grew in the front yard. I did make the mistake one time of asking "What is a razor strap?" after he called the belt that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: Jeff on November 04, 2011, 11:20:37 PM
*DanG that weeping willow tree that grew in the front yard.
There must be something about willow! We used to get the willow switch also. I hated that tree and was happy when it died ;D
Boy how times have changed!!!

Taylortractornut

Is the idler   pushing on the back side of belts up?     I had  an experiean with an out fit that  the same problem with an idler   on the backside of the belts  allowing for whipping.   I added  a tensioner  just a spingloaded  3 grove  pulley on the return side for taking the slack out of the  rig.      Also as mentioned  moving the  joint to different spot will help some.
My overload permit starts after sunset

beenthere

Not clear to me...is this one belt on a triple pulley system or three belts on the triple pulley?

If three belts, very tough to get three alike and is one important reason to have them connected  as one unit (from what I've heard ;) ).  I may have read it wrong too and it is one belt.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Grower

Its a triple B banded belt with an idler underneath it which is manually engaged, it has a good strong spring on it, it works real good at full revs but idling it jumps all over the place. There is no back bender on it. I can cut that fast, not that I do, that she will smoke the belt in the ol Pinus Radiator under good going! 24HP diesel driving it. The belt is as tight as I get get it, under normal cutting speed she works real good.

eastberkshirecustoms

Out of curiosity, is your small diesel a two cylinder? Many two cylinder diesel engines will run 'rough' at idle and smooth out with rpm. This could be transferring into your drive belt, at which point I don't think there is a simple fix. It could just be the nature of the beast only tamed by adding a third cylinder to smooth out the power strokes.

Grower

Shes a 3 cylinder, Mitsubishi K3H 1290cc. There are some pics of it in my gallery. I know all about the 2 cylinder machines bouncing all over the place at lower revs POP POP POP!!!!!! The old man used to see 2 cylinder tractors I wouldn't be seen dead on one.

eastberkshirecustoms

Yup, that's a smooth running engine. I know of Satoh, and Case-IH (and probably others) using them in their compact tractors. My Mahindra has a larger Mitsu engine and runs very smooth. Well I'm fresh out of ideas. Maybe I need a willow switch whipping.  ;D Back in the day on the farm, we used to use the ol' JD 2 bangers. Yeah they pop, pop, popped all over the place, but that huge flywheel smoothed it all out.

Grower

Yea the ol lady used to give me a hiding with the wooden spoon when I was a kid, one day she hit me that hard with it it broke, and I have been laughing about it ever since  :D Got a bit of willow at the other place but the owls nest in it, can't cut that down for a whipping.

Grower

I replaced the tension spring with a much lighter one and it has made a definate difference, the belt seems to flex alot easier and has made no difference to the performance in that the belt won't slip, even under a good load, I might even try a lighter one yet and see what happens next.

Thank You Sponsors!