iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to charge for milling cedar?

Started by Tullivor, November 02, 2011, 08:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tullivor

Hey everybody,

I hope i am not repeating a popular topic here, but I am curious to know what charging rates are for cutting cedar and what other factors to consider.  I have never milled for a customer but someone asked me the other day if i would be willing to cut up some cedar logs for him and what i charged, i told him i would have to look into it.  My mill is a 16 hp lumbermate 2000, and without a trailer package so i guess i would have to pick up the logs.  I have also considered purchasing the trailer package for the mill and putting an ad in the paper.  I am just not at all sure what to do, can you tell.....  :D.  Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Jeff

DR Buck

Start by making it perfectly clear and establish a price for replacement blades to cover all the metal you're going to saw into.

In case you don't know it, cedar grows nails, screws, insulators and barbed wire.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Kevin

Hi Jeff;
I wouldn't be delivering someones logs without adding another fee besides milling.
You should ask what ever makes you happy considering your experience,time, the machines time, fuel and blades.
My mill stays put unless I get what I want to move it.

Kevin.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hi Jeff, I agree with Kevin. I would not go get his logs. I started out just like you. Put the word out that you are stationary. Before long, people will be bringing logs to you left and right.
You saw their lumber and give them a call when its ready to pick up.

What you charge will be different in different areas.

I have a BIG sign up at my mill stating if I hit any type of metal with my blade, its a $30.00 replacement fee. When I hit metal, I take the log off and save it for them.

In S.C. I charge 21 cents a board foot for 8 foot and over sawing cedar logs. I can saw cedar pretty fast.

Anything under 8 foot and less than a 10 inch diameter, I charge $50.00 an hour.

I also have a $50.00 min. on all jobs. But the bottom line is, make money without sticking your customer or yourself.

Call sawmills in your area and find out what they charge.

Good Luck.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tullivor

Thanks a ton guys, nice to get feedback from guys with experience.
So something else i am curious about, when a customer comes to pick up their lumber do you have it stickered or is that up to the customer? supply the stickers?  Or just cut lumber and leave the rest to customer?

zopi

Get the trailer...trust me. You will not regret it. Luvs my trailer.

The only cedar I have sawed for anyone else was an attempt to mooch the logs...my wife stopped to try to cadge a fallen cedar (HOOOGE!) The guy would not give unril he fou.d out we had a mill...I sawed him enough lumber to trim and mantel two fireplaces, and kept the rest of the tree...good deal for me!
And yeah...cedar grows metal...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

cypresskayaksllc

I let the customer sticker. They get a better perspective on how much wood they actually have. A stack of wood doesnt look like that much until you have to move every board by hand.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

DR Buck

Quote from: cypresskayaksllc on November 03, 2011, 11:04:28 PM
I let the customer sticker. They get a better perspective on how much wood they actually have. A stack of wood doesnt look like that much until you have to move every board by hand.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I like that kind of thinking.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Kevin

Stickers is the customers choice when I mill for them.
Most want them.

Thank You Sponsors!