iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine Beatles or PIne Borer???

Started by Stump Jumper, January 25, 2004, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stump Jumper

I am not sure what they are called but they are a nasty little bug or grub that gets in the pine log piles and eats away it. They leave holes big enough that it looks like it was shot with buck shot.

How can I stop these bugs from chewing up my log piles in the summer months? ??? ??? ??? ???

You can here the little critters chewing on a quiet summer night. ???
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Tom

'If you lived down here l would say sprinkle the log pile or submerge the logs in a pond.

isawlogs

Theres a couple of things you can do ...
 Take the bark off the logs ....lots of work..
 keep them under a fine spray of water ... or...
 saw them write away
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

I have walked past a whack of white pine in the morning whn its quiet and you can actually hear those buggers eating when they are in a pile of logs. Best solution we have found is saw pine as soon as you can or sell the logs to someone that can. There may be a better solution, but that one is ours. :-/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Yes, saw them as soon as you can, don't let them sit around very long, especially in warm weather.
~Ron

Corley5

What do those grubs turn into?  A beetle?  I've sawn a few,and  heard them working in log piles.  They're an aggressive little critter.  Take a twig or grass stem and poke at 'em and they attack it.  They've got an impressive set jaws.  Never been bitten by one and I don't think I'd want to be.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Stephen_Wiley

Often while working in the woods, I used to play baseball with the flying bark/boring beetles.

In addition to the logs.........have you got slash piles?

Certain  Pine borers and engravers will become prolific in slash piles as they provide shelter and food thus increasing population.
Be certain to destroy (Chip or Burn) any piles of Pine. Tell your neighbors to do the same. ;)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Jeff

I tried to save some of those monstors for bass bait. I have never causght a bass on one. I think bass are scared of em.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Stump Jumper

I can sprinkle the logs but a pond shure sounds nice :) :) :) it is about 18' to the first water table :o i dont think my skidsteer will like digging that deep :o ;D ;D
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

UNCLEBUCK

20 years ago I had lots of big red pine cabin logs and peeled the bark off asap and then used a garden pump up type sprayer and sprayed a chemical called " organiclear " on the logs and sometimes would come across a worm hole and spray in the hole and look 10 feet down the log and see the spray coming out , organiclear did the job and would even melt bumble bees that got in my path in a matter of seconds. I see it is still sold at  www.aloghomestore.com and still comes in a bright orange pail. I sawed some spruce 6 x 6 railing posts for my dad this last spring and put them in his house without spraying organiclear on them and last week he seen a big ol boy trying to find his way across the floor so even in bone dry house humidity and bark being off about 10 months he was still inside the damp post chewin away !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Stephen_Wiley

:D :D Just realized the humor in the subject title of this thread :D

Pine Beatles

Remember these tunes from their New and Old Hits!

" It's been a hard day and night as I have been chewin on a log"

- or -

Yesterday........I was chewing through a log, and got a mouth full of clay..."

- or -

Let me Be, Let me Be...........digesting cellulose and lignen....let me be.

:D  :)  :D  :)  :D  :)  :D  8)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

shopteacher

Don't give up that day job Steve>>>>> :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Furby

Stump_jumper,
How about one of them pond liners? There are a few places here in MI (that I know of) that you can buy from. They aren't cheap, but you can buy any size, by the sq. ft. or sq. yard.

Thank You Sponsors!