iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flying Lead

Started by Woodhog, November 02, 2011, 09:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

Just wondering what adjustments to your woods operations people make when the High Powered (Rifle) hunting seasons open up.

I put up some signs and wear a little Orange snap on vest along with the Orange Hard hat but still feel uncomfortable when I see them driving around with the guns loaded in the front seats ready for action.

You cannot wear one of those big orange jackets the hunter wear as it is too hot.

thecfarm

I don't put signs up,I just kinda playing on my own land,but do wear an orange vest,just to make sure.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Where is that at Woodhog?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodhog

QuoteWhere is that at Woodhog?

It is in the Maritimes area of Canada, the deer season just opened up for about 6 weeks

John Mc

The safety orange "cruising vests" with all the pockets and places to stash things are nice, but you're right, they can be too hot for some things

I have a very lightweight orange vest I wear . Stuffs into its own pocket and zips closed for storage. It's small enough to toss in with my small box of chainsaw tools and spare chains. It's just a simple piece of orange fabric with a a couple of velcro straps to hold it closed around you.  Got it at Dick's Sporting Goods a couple of years ago for $8 (post-hunting season sale).

Made by FroggToggs. Here's a link:
     Blaze Orange Packable Hunting Vest

I don't know if Dick's still carries them, but they always seem to have some sort of inexpensive, lightweight blaze orange gear in stock for hunting season.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

Here in NB if you post that your working in the woods no one is suppose to be hunting within a mile of  woods operation. I do wear orange on my woodlot to, but no one else will ever be there but me unless they are tipping fir illegally. Most of the hunting these days is fellas driving roads all day. I don't call that hunting, it's window shopping. :D Not even suppose to be within 400 m of a public road rifle hunting.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

A standard clause in all of our timber harvest contracts states that "No operations are to take place during the rifle deer season of November 15-30".

Most all private landowners don't want any timber harvesting taking place on their property during the rifle deer season and most logers don't want to work then anyway, especially during the first week of the season. ;)
~Ron

Autocar

Here in Ohio I try to get my equipment home and hold up till it's over  ;).
Bill

SwampDonkey

We've interrupted the moose hunt a time or two on our thinning blocks. Of course they have the option to pay 12-15 guys $200/day while we sit home. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bobus2003

Its supposedly "illegal" to hunt on a Active Timber sale here.. Doesn't stop anyone though.. So i just stay in my Cab and hope for the best.. If i have to get out of the skidder/Delimber/Timbco make sure i have Orange on

WDH

The deer hunting season here lasts three months.  We could not have wooded our mills if we did not harvest timber during deer season.  On the company land, we had 700 hunting clubs.

Hunting brings out the worst in human beings.  People just go crazy.  Everything that could happen, did.  Many hunters are worse than children.  They argue, back-bite, have feuds, shoot the neighbors dogs, shoot each other, etc.  We would go in and build a new woods road.  Crown the road, ditch it, haul in some gravel to top it with.  Then, the hunters would drive on them while they were too green (not cured or set-up yet) and tear the road all up.  $12,000 per mile down the drain.  What we got for a hunting lease rate per acre would not come close to covering the damage that the hunters would do in one bad day. 

We took a hard line with the hunters.  Paying $5.00 per acre to hunt on the land does not give a person total control of a piece of property or give them the right to dictate what operations could be performed.  If we were logging in deer season, that was tough luck.  It did not hurt the deer hunting anyway.  Deer are used to logging.  The problem was not with the deer.  They did fine.  The problem was with the hunters.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

You are right WDH,deer know that the noise of wood being harvested is food for them.We call them "Heater Hunters" Probaly about 1000 acres of paper company land on top of the hill and they will drive up and turn around and come back down the hill.Takes about 20 minutes.I had one guy park his car on my land,which I hate, and to make it that much worse,right where I was cutting too. I had too work on a differant part. Than he had enough you know what to come out of the woods and give me a hard time about scaring the deer away with my saw.    ::)  Lucky he did not have to follow the drags marks to find his car. Deer are not that plentiful around here. I doubt I could rent my land. I only have one guy that ask to hunt on my land anyways. I see hunters there when I am cutting wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

The farmer I was cutting brush for this fall blocked all his farm roads from hunters. There is no deer there to speak of but as I said, people hunt from windshields these days and drive all over creation.

Corley5

I usually concentrate on processed firewood for two weeks.  The crew usually likes the first few days of season off.  The trucking firm I deal with also takes off the 1st week.  It's a holiday in Michigan  ;D :D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sandhills

Farming is about the same, the deer are used to the sounds of tractors, combines etc., I watched a nice buck from the seat of my combine all day two years ago and there was a hunter in a tree stand about 1/4 mile away, I told him about it the next day ;D.  He was waiting for me to chase something out of the field to him, that combine doesn't bother the older deer one bit.  I get a deer permit every year, rarely fill it though it's a busy time of year, and I enjoy hunting, not much of a windshield hunter I guess.  Some people do go nuts around here too, I hate that, with myself and the group I hunt with there is almost always young kids involved so nobody gets excited, we'd just as soon see the kids have fun than get a deer. 

madmari

We had a farmer here excavate a "moat" around a truck parked in his field. He left an army entrenching tool and a note advising him to move the truck by 4:00 pm or it would be buried. He never came back.
   Lazy people, not hunters, are to blame. There are good hunters and there are slobs with rifles. They are very different and should not be confused with one another.
   I used to investigate hunting related shootings. Safety orange would have prevented most of them, however ALL were due to careless use of a firearm by careless people.
  By all means, be seen (LOTS of orange)- it may help.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

chain

Deer season 365 days here. ;D I've had many close calls, shot over, pointed at, accidental firing of a weapon by a drunken hunter, a hunter firing across my lane on a state hiway, I had to brake hard to keep from getting in the line of fire.

But the drunk was the closest. Here's how it went down...I had killed a deer early the first day, that afternoon I told our hunting party I would try to shoot a few quail in an open field by a hi-way. I had my bird-dog, a liver and white pointer make his rounds and sure enough he pointed. I shot a couple of birds but noticed a van pulled up and parked ahead of my truck. I figured a landowner didn't want me here but I had not noticed any posted signs, so I leashed my dog and walked over to the van. The fellow had what appeared a 30:06 rifle laying across his lap pointed down toward the floorboard, finger on the trigger but rifle toward the door, alongside him was a fifth of  whiskey about half full. He began,"you are running deer out here," "no," I said, "this is a bird dog". He argued with me about running deer, just then he pulled the rifle off and the bullet came out the floorboard and blew a hole in the pavement just behind the left front tire. It took a few seconds to recover from the shock and settle my dog but I asked him if he was alright. He took his bottle and threw it in the back of his van and said something like, "i'll never hunt or drink again!". I went back to camp, put my dog and gun up...then, I had a drink myself. >:(

Taylortractornut

We have an abundance of deer here.    You can still doghunt wich I like to with some friends of mine.     I get alot of complaints about that but what gets me is  I keep my dogs up during deer season and turkey season.   I had a tree  fall on the  fence on  day and  let  3 of my 4  German sheperds out.     This fellow that  is an avid unter has a bunch of land  out back and  he was new here.   He rolled up  with a poed  attitude  talking about shooting my dogs if it  happened again.     I minded him that it got awfull dry here some times and if  one of my dogs died of anything but old age  Id  have my fire  insurance paid.       

You know  now he is one of my buddies lol.

Last winter I was over in Prentiss county  running a  TD15 cutting a road in for a friends  cabin.    Me having my head up my tail  forgot it was deer season.       I  roughed the road in with the dozer and was  walking out to get the grader and I realized I was in brown  Coveralls   in the woods on the firsts day of deer season lol.  That was a long walk out.   
My overload permit starts after sunset

tjdub

I bought a permit from the DNR to cut firewood off cull log piles in the state forest near my house.  I've been going up there to get a pickup load every weekend and this weekend was the first firearm season (well, second if you count the youth season).  As soon as I get my truck through the padlocked gate onto the state forest and lock it behind me, some hunters drive up to the gate and start grilling me out of their truck window.   They didn't believe me that it was allowed during deer hunting season and were pretty upset about it.  There's people hunting deer from September through December in one season or another, If I couldn't cut wood during deer hunting seasons, it would be a cold winter!  Anyway, I half expected to see their vehicle blocking the gate when I came out :)

I don't think most people understand the relationship between deer and chainsaws very well.  When I'm cutting tops when there's snow on the ground, I usually attract quite an audience of deer and turkey.

WildDog

I was poking along on a horse out the back of my farm and saw this bloke crouched down in camo behind a blackberry bush with his rifle, he didn't know I was there, I gave a couple of quick cracks of the stock whip and him and another  guy I hadn't seen just about jumped out of their skin. I told them they were trespassing and they could follow me back to the house while I called the police or show me some identification. It was hot and they had nothing on under the camo and did't have a wallet. I found a piece of charcoal and wrote the serial numbers of both rifles down on my saddle bag. After that I simmered down and we got talking, they were one paddock in from the boundary and thought they were on my neighbours place where permission to hunt had been granted, I took them at their word.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Black_Bear

Two domestic dogs are victims of flying lead in Maine.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/11/07/news/state/dixfield-man-charged-after-shooting-dog/

It's business as usual in northern New England during deer season. Not many loggers or foresters stop working during deer season, and most that do go hunting. Unfortunately, not everyone completely identifies their target.

SwampDonkey

One thing about hunting, fishing and woods working here in NB, most folks are courteous and wave hello as you drive bye one another. If some bunch of rednecks began blocking roads to land they don't own they would soon be out of luck. I'd call in their plates and they would get educated right quick.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!