iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

repowering a shaper

Started by cypresskayaksllc, November 02, 2011, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cypresskayaksllc

I have a chance to buy a Jet shaper. The one with the 1-1.5 hp motor. The shaper does not come with the motor for reasons I dont know. Maybe it broke. Would it be possible to repower this shaper with a 3hp motor. I changed out my lathe 3hp single phase for a 3phase motor for variable speed function. Given that the rpms are the same would this be OK.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

pineywoods

Go for it, the extra power will be nice. Physical room to mount the new motor might be a problem. 3 phase won't give you speed control unless you have an expensive electronic box called a Variable Frequency Control.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

cypresskayaksllc

I dont think I need the variable speed for the shaper. I just use it for the lathes. I have a single phase to put into the shaper (space permiting)

T Welsh

Yeah,no problem.if you did a lathe this is a piece of cake. check into why no motor? check spindle bearings and motor mount and up and down screw for proper function. you might have to redo the starter switch the china stuff isnt to good and doesnt play well with others. Tim

Nomad

Make sure your replacement motor fits the same mount, too.  Otherwise you'll have to fabricate an adapter.  (It's the NEMA frame number; should be on the motor's data plate.)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

cypresskayaksllc

I have the shaper now. Heres the problem I have: The original motor is 3400 rpm. My motor is 1750 (dangit). It is a single phase forward/reverse motor. Its not going to work. So scratch that motor.  The drive pulley is not a typical pulley. Its about 4" thick. So I cant get a 6" pulley to make it the right speed without spending a lot of money. But.. I have a 3 phase motor that has a 3400 rpm. The only problem is the shaft is larger than my drive pulley. Is there a coupler to connect a larger shaft to a smaller pulley? Thanks.

T Welsh

cypresskayaksllc, Goggle lovejoy couplers and you will find what you need. problem is space. couple ways of doing it. take your 3 phase motor to a motor repair shop and have them turn the shaft  down to size, or find a used motor and see if you can get lucky enough that it runs,or break down and buy a new motor. I picked a grizzly up a few years ago with a burnt motor for $75 got it home and found out every thing was burnt,switch,wires and motor. total replacement costs where almost $400. ended up reselling it and picked up an older powermatic at an auction for $150. Tim

pineywoods

Quote from: cypresskayaksllc on November 05, 2011, 12:59:27 AM
I have the shaper now. Heres the problem I have: The original motor is 3400 rpm. My motor is 1750 (dangit). It is a single phase forward/reverse motor. Its not going to work. So scratch that motor.  The drive pulley is not a typical pulley. Its about 4" thick. So I cant get a 6" pulley to make it the right speed without spending a lot of money. But.. I have a 3 phase motor that has a 3400 rpm. The only problem is the shaft is larger than my drive pulley. Is there a coupler to connect a larger shaft to a smaller pulley? Thanks.

Just bore out the hole in your pulley to fit the new motor. 15 minit job on a lathe.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

T Welsh

pineywoods, Thats even faster, the only draw back is that once its enlarged it stays that way and if the motor needs to be changed down the line sometime it become a problem again! I try to keep all equipment in original shape and style. until I have to make a part or alter it from OEM spec,s Tim

sparky1

well now a days you can buy what ever you need on the internet... If it were mine, Id get the right thing, you might have to spend a little. but sure beats cobbling things together.. like you stated if you wanted to go back, then your cobbling the first cobble
Shaun J

cypresskayaksllc

Ive put way too much thought into this to be called cobbling. I could buy the correct motor for 300 bucks. No adventure in that.

shelbycharger400

cypress\
just buy the right pulley, they are cheap now..in the range of $15

if you did the math,  right pulley combination , you could make the 1150 rpm motor work

3450 rpm motors are around

Woodchuck53

Wouldn't re-boring the hole monkey with the key way? If your going to keep this machine, back up and punt for the right equipment from the git go. Especially if it's a quality machine. I know as I get older I'm tired of creating more projects down the line. And any thing I have has a price and some customers frown on jerry rigging.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Thank You Sponsors!