iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Here and full of questions!!

Started by farmhand, January 25, 2004, 05:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmhand

Hello everyone,

I am new to the board.  I have been checking it out for the past few days and I am impressed!!!

I have been working on building my house for a couple of years now and have been using a Logosol M-7 mill.  I am pleased with the mill, but I have caught the milling bug.  I want to do more.

I know that the M-7 is not a production mill and I plan to upgrade in the future.  Can any of you give me some direction on finding books and whatever on sawmilling for profit.  Something that is going to teach me the lingo and how to get the most out of a log?

What are your thoughts on swing mills and mobile dimension mills?   Are Lucas and Peterson the only swing mill makers?  How about mobile dimension mills,  who all makes them?  Does anyone know anything about "Brand X Mills"?

Thanks for help in advance. . . . .

:D :D :D
WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!

Duane_Moore

:) :) :)Well  Welcome aboard, I don't know nuthin bout nuton even spelleen, but WELCOME. this is a good bunch and they will help you alot.  God Bless. 8) 8) 8) 8)  Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Tom

welcome to the Forum

You don't need a bunch of books yet.  You do need to read everything on the forum.  go to the old posts.  Read the stuff that has been put in the knowledge base.  There is a lot of stuff on this forum from lots of different mouths.

Bibbyman has stuff on his site about sawing and woodmizer and I think my website is fun too.  click on the "members" at the top of the page and it will take you to the member list were you can find everybody's website.  Click on them.  You can also click on a user name on the forum and be taken to his profile too.

Look to the left under my userid and you will see a little house icon.  Anybody that has that will have a website.  Click on the house and it will take your there.

When in doubt, ask a question.

If you just have something you want to say, make a post. It doesn't have to be anything earth shattering.  Heck, we make dumb posts all the time.     :D 

Dedicate some time to reading old posts. :)

Haytrader

farmhand,

Welcome, first of all.

You asked several questions and you know everyone has an opinion so be ready....... ;)
Seems to me there are more Lucas mills here in the states than Petersons. Mainly because Lucas is sold here and Peterson is an import. There are several owners of each as members here and they will surely give you a shout.
As far as Mobile Deminsions go, again several owners here and I'll DanG gar on tee ya they will be puttin in thier 2 cents worth.
You mentioned Brand X, so I assume you have looked at his website. I talked to Jay and he gave me names of a couple of his customers. I did talk to them and they were satisfied with the saw. Jay Bland (Brand X) is a member here but seldom posts.
There is at least one saw you didn't mention. That is the D&L Double Cut, made in Canada. Duke has one of them and really likes it.
I have a manual bandmill and would like a swinger.
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

Welcome Farmhand. I haven't spoken with Jay Brand since last summer. His operation was right in line with the horrific Forest Fires last year. Here is his website, if they are still in operation.

http://www.loghomes.com/BrandX/Millintroductionsdoc.html
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

chet

Welcome aboard dar Farmhand. As Tom said check through the old posts, there is a wealth of info on the questions you just raised. I think we have folks here that have or represent just about any mill you might think of, so ask away.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

WV_hillbilly

Welcome Farmhand .  I seen one of those Logosols at a woodworking show a couple of weeks ago in action . I was impressed with it's operation. I think it would be alot better than an Alaskan Mill.   I' ve been thinking about one ever since.  It would let me get the slab type of boards that I use on my scroll saw .  If you is getting rid of it soon let me know I might be intrested . If you look around this forum ther is alot of info about the different mills  so pull up a seat and read to your mind' s capacity .  :P  I' ve been on here a little over a year and have learned a bunch . I ' m wanting to get a   mill but there aree so many  choices  ???
Hillbilly

BW_Williams

Welcome Farmhand,  you're in the right place for answers!  Mobile Dimension is made in Troutdale, OR and it is a quality machine and "Sawmill John" is good people.  I think Peterson is a little more popular on the East coast with Lucas being popular out here. Only you can decide which mill is right for you,  see any mill in action you can, I think Peterson has a rep in you area.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Jeff

I cant recommend a book because to tell you the truth, I don't think there is a book on sawing that has the information this forum and its members hold. Yer in the right place. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

Welcome a board  Farmhand.  It is like a holicay for some when we get a newbie on the Forum.   As to a book, I think that Jeff hit the nail correctly, experience is an excellent unwritten book that many of us here on the forum have learned from, repeatedly.  :DYep, we all have our opinions about our mills.  I own 3 Mobile Dimension Mills.  That will give you an idea of my opinion on one make of mill. ;D
Frank Pender

Bro. Noble

Welcome,

I might add to the above suggestions that you check the members map and see who lives in your area.  Visiting some of the  operations with various mills would probably be a big help to you.  It's really fun to meet the forum members in person.  They are great.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Captain

Hello Farmhand and Welcome,

I too started on a Logosol and got he sawdust disease.  I'm afraid it is terminal, my wife says its already too late and proclaims herself a widow...sawmill widow that is ;D

I now cut with a Peterson WPF.  About ten times faster than that Logosol, trust me I remember.  Planning a trip to Sub Zero New England anytime soon?  Come see for yourself, I've got lots of logs to play with....

Captain

woodrat

Here are some more good sawing related links:

Sawyers links by the score at:
http://www.xmission.com/~sherwin/sawyer1.htm

Independent Sawmill and Woodlot magazine:
http://www.sawmillmag.com

Used sawmills of all kinds for sale, nationwide:
http://www.sawmillexchange.com/

Another good sawing and drying forum:
http://www.woodwebs.com/cgi-bin/forums/sawdry.pl
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
Wallenstein FX 65 logging winch
Husky 61, 272XP, 372XP, 346XP, 353
Stihl 036, 046 with Lewis Winch
78 Chevy C30 dump truck, 80 Ford F350 4x4
35 ton firewood splitter
Eastonmade 22-28 splitter and conveyor
and ...lots of other junk...

woodhaven

Welcome,
 I am a firm believer in books. I also believe personal experiences are the best teacher. You have a wealth of information and experiance right here. Just jump in and ask something stupid like the rest of us. Remember the only really stupid question is the one that doesn't get ask.
Richard

OneWithWood

Welcome farmhand.  The only thing I would add to what everyone has said is that there is one book you will be wise to buy.  The book is Understanding Wood by R. Bruce Hoadley.  It is very technical and you may need to read it a couple of times but I think it is one of the best books for a sawyer.  I only wish I could remember half of what I read in it!  :P ??? :P ::) :P :P :)

Oh, yeah.  Find your way over to the memeber map, plant a tree and put something in your bio.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

oakiemac

Welcome Farmhand.

As far as books go, I'd recommend two. "The conversion and seasoning of wood" by william brown. You can buy this book from Logosol. The other is "Wood and how to dry it" by Fine wood working. You can order this book from the Fine Woodworking website.

As far as mills go...that depends on what you want and how much money have to invest. I own a Mobile Dimension and am real happy with it. Do alot of research, maybe go to the Paul Bunyon show in Ohio because they will have the sawmill shoot out there. This is a good opprotunity to see a lot of different mills in action. Good luck and keep us posted!
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Wes

Welcome,
 You will find all the answers here. ;D

crtreedude

Welcome,

You may find all of the answers here, but no one said they are the right ones!  :D

Actually, as a newbie myself, this forum has been great.  What is particular good is now I have a list of books to buy, ah, life is good.  I just explain it to my wife - but the guys at forestry forum said I need to buy them...

Fred
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Frickman

Welcome Farmhand! Are you from the Fredericktown in Fayette County? If so, you're just a couple of townships over from me. Enjoy yourself here, and be sure to speak up once in awhile.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Swede

HellUUUUU Farmhand!

crtreedude wrote: "You may find all of the answers here, but no one said they are the right ones!!  8) I´m not shure he know how right he spoke. :D :D :D  

You´ll find a lot words of wisdom here and have some fun at the same time. If You cut a bit evrywhere, mix and shake well, it will work for You to.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Jeff

QuoteYou may find all of the answers here, but no one said they are the right ones!

1000 to 1 that the answers you get here will be sound with the source being experience and a willingness to help and to share.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Hey Jeff,

We are just funning - of course the information here is very valuable - it's just that people are speaking from their personal experiences which means things that will work in one place may not work - or even be necessary in others.   For some reason I think I will not have to worry about the threads talking about sawing in cold weather...

It is important to realize as you start your own business that not only you are making the final decision and it is up to you to do your own research.  (Okay, you had better include your wife too in the mix.)

One thing that I feel makes this group unique is that it is about a bunch of sawyers practicing their trade without any particular axes to grind.  This does make the information more reliable than usual.

Fred
So, how did I end up here anyway?

doublecut

Hi MY name is Lindsay Flett the owner of d&l doublecut sawmills. Just thought i would introduce myself. I really enjoy the great forum here. I recently met a gentlemen at the oregon logging confernece last weekend and he mentioned about this forum. So this is my first time on. I have enjoyed all your comments and if there are any questions i can answer please let me know. Sawmilling has been in our family for 52 years now and once it gets in your blood well you know all know the rest. I enjoy talking about sawmills. Any experiences we can pass along we would be glad to do so.
D&L

Duane_Moore

8) 8) 8)Well good too have ya aboard doublecut. you be welcome here,  thanks for the help.   Welcome.. Duh---Duane   oh as you see I am the Village Idiot. ;D ;D
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

redpowerd

the books i have cant equal the 'smartin ive got from these fellers. i could'nt make boards without em. ;)
dblcut, hey!
im looking forward to your conversations, im sure you can smartin us up a bit on millin ;)
thanks for comin in, enjoy!!! 8)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!