iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pics of my sawmill build & first cut

Started by GAmillworker, October 30, 2011, 02:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAmillworker

You can see more pics of the build in my gallery.  This is the saw before I started to modify.  Yes it was a verticle saw.

Currently I can cut 50" wide at 1" thick.  I am planning on making the head adjustable out to 70" so I can quarter some massive oaks given to me by a client.

My second cut is to be 2.5" thick and third cut 6" thick, thus the notch.  The top flat measures 40" wide after notching.

Yes I know I need to get the gaurds on.  I worked on a drive unit after just four cuts pushing the saw through.  Should have chain drive done monday so I can finish this log and another crotch from same tree.
Thank the Lord for second chances

Chuck White

Looks like a really heavy-duty mill.

Do you intend on putting some blade guide rollers on it and some sort of easily adjusted tensioner?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAmillworker

Yes I plan on putting cooks roller guides on it.

It allready has a hydrolic tensioner.

GAmillworker

pineywoods

smiley_thumbsup  smiley_thumbsup  viva le cantilever head. What kind of power plant ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

GAmillworker

Currently has 25HP 480v. 

The drive motor to be installed tomorrow is 3HP 480V.

Future plans for mobile milling include a 4CLY deisel with built in hydrolic pump.

redbeard

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

GF

Burlkraft

That is awesome!!  8)   8)   8)

Nuthin' better than an engineerin' job like that.

Looks like it cuts pretty good too!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

zopi

That is pretty cool...and there I was thinking that I was cool for converting a log splitter to and upright fixed wedge type...oh well...next project..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

JP135

Go big or go home! 50" and 480v. Nice.

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Bill Gaiche

Good build. Have you considered going down and have some blood drawn to see if you have an addiction now? bg

Coon

Can they extract the blood from the sawdust?  I think the blood would come tainted with oak genetics.   ;)  :D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Satamax

Gamillworker.

I don't quite understand what you have done with the forklift  part. Would you mind showing to me?

Thanks a lot.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

GAmillworker

Satamax,

The forklift mast is what i am using to raise and lower the track that the saw travels on.  I will try to get some better pics and post tomorrow.

WildDog

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Satamax

Quote from: GAmillworker on November 02, 2011, 11:39:36 PM
Satamax,

The forklift mast is what i am using to raise and lower the track that the saw travels on.  I will try to get some better pics and post tomorrow.

Thanks a lot. I've vaguely seen how it's done. You still have an hydraulic ram  actuating it? Or something else? How do you keep it parallel end to end? How precise is it?

Thanks a lot.

Max.

Piston

That's awesome! Great job and I love the wide cuts like that  8) 8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!