iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

transhydraulic in transmission of older Iron Mule

Started by quietrangr, October 30, 2011, 12:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quietrangr

My operator's manual calls for 80/90, but someone told me it's better to use transhydraulic in the transmission of my 1980 5000F Iron Mule during the winter. Probably because it flows better. This is a four speed, (with high and low range), and the transmission is separate from the hydraulic system. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Corley5

My 5000 called for Dexron type ATF but the previous owner had tractor tranny/hydraulic fluid in it.  I talked to an old MF dealer and he told it would be alright.  I ran it several years, year round with no problems and it worked fine when it left here.  Mine was a 1975 based on a MF 50 industrial tractor with the MF shuttle tranny.  Maybe yours is Ford based model  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

Sounds like a ford 4x2 crash box transmission. If so it should be the same as the 5000 ford tractor I have. I run Universal transmission fluid in it without any problems.

lumberjack48

I'm not sure what transmission set up you have.

I know the Treefarmer with 4 speed tran, hi/lo transfer case, rear ends and the planetarys all called for 80/90, and in extreme conditions 140.

It got pretty stiff at -40, i left my transfer case in foreword in real cold weather, i forgot one night, the next morning i was trying to push in gear, the shift leaver busted off, cost me half a day, welded it back together.

If i was back in the game i would run nothing but synthetic oil in everything, you wouldn't have all the warm up time, and motor starting problem, theres a lot of problems go with cold weather if your not set up for it.

After it cold enough to freeze roads up, we ran 7 days a week on till we got chased out by warm weather.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

quietrangr

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on October 31, 2011, 08:55:59 AM
Sounds like a ford 4x2 crash box transmission. If so it should be the same as the 5000 ford tractor I have. I run Universal transmission fluid in it without any problems.

You mean universal transhydraulic, or 80/90?

quietrangr

Quote from: Corley5 on October 31, 2011, 07:43:29 AM
My 5000 called for Dexron type ATF but the previous owner had tractor tranny/hydraulic fluid in it.  I talked to an old MF dealer and he told it would be alright.  I ran it several years, year round with no problems and it worked fine when it left here.  Mine was a 1975 based on a MF 50 industrial tractor with the MF shuttle tranny.  Maybe yours is Ford based model  ???

Yes, it's a Ford based machine. I think that's what the "F" stands for (5000F). Was yours one of those foot pedal automatics?

quietrangr

Quote from: lumberjack48 on October 31, 2011, 02:18:38 PM
I'm not sure what transmission set up you have.

I know the Treefarmer with 4 speed tran, hi/lo transfer case, rear ends and the planetarys all called for 80/90, and in extreme conditions 140.

It got pretty stiff at -40, i left my transfer case in foreword in real cold weather, i forgot one night, the next morning i was trying to push in gear, the shift leaver busted off, cost me half a day, welded it back together.

If i was back in the game i would run nothing but synthetic oil in everything, you wouldn't have all the warm up time, and motor starting problem, theres a lot of problems go with cold weather if your not set up for it.

After it cold enough to freeze roads up, we ran 7 days a week on till we got chased out by warm weather.

Those Iron Mules are made out of Ford tractors, or earlier on, Massey Fergusson. I can use Ford tractor parts. I use synthetic motor oil, but haven't tried the synthetic fluids.

Corley5

Yup,  mine had the pedals for forward and reverse.  I wouldn't worry about running tractor tranny/hydraulic fluid in it as long as your seals are good.  It'll leak out faster than 80/90 :) :D

chevytaHOE5674

My ford 5000 tractor has UTF (universal transmission/tractor fluid) in everything but the motor. Been that way for years and no problems. The spec for the tractor fluid is m2c134d, which can be found at walmart or TSC.

Corley5

I've been told that the universal fluid can be ran in even older tractors like H and M Farmalls with no ill effects.  The main reason for 80/90 at the time was the material seals were made of.  Heavy oil just stayed in better. 

chevytaHOE5674

When i first got this tractor it had 80/90 in the transmission. And that first winter I about ripped the shifter handles off trying to shift as it was thick as cement in there. So in the UTF went and its been fine ever since.

quietrangr

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on November 03, 2011, 08:03:06 AM
When i first got this tractor it had 80/90 in the transmission. And that first winter I about ripped the shifter handles off trying to shift as it was thick as cement in there. So in the UTF went and its been fine ever since.

I remember in my Timberjack it used to feel like the brake was on a little bit until the 80/90 warmed up. I think the 80/90 they make now flows better at low temp, but I'm going to try the UTF>

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Thank You Sponsors!