iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I think i got something out of alignment

Started by limbrat, October 30, 2011, 12:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbrat

I got a little heavy on my drip water, or i got a little slow pushing the saw through. When i pulled the board i noticed that saw dust was pasted to the bottom of the board. I thought well the set is messed up on that blade so iswapped it out. Next pass i tried to make it happen and got the same results. I havent found any slack and its cutting straight in this soft straight cypress.
I never noticed anything untill i got wet and i would like to adjust it out before it becomes a problem. So do you think its toed a little down or up or something else?
ben

Meadows Miller

Gday

What size pipe are you running your water through and is to only one or both sides off the blade mate ?? With bands if you are running a constant spray it pays to set up a dual hoe deal with like the plastic hose and sprays like you get for water systems with a tap that way you can get a even and fine spray on both sides off the blade you dont need alot of water on a saw blade either circular or band to do the job and if you are getting excessive heat you should look at either set/side clearance as a good saw should run cool in avreage sawing conditions   ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

T Welsh

As long as you keep cutting to tolerance don,t question what the out come is! water will do that, and keep and deposit the saw dust on the last sawn board face. mills do strange things with different woods. bottom line is if you are cutting 4/4 and measure it after the cut and it,s 4/4 all the way around your golden! Tim

Meadows Miller

Ill also add with most types of sawmills there is the 30/40 rule 30% goes each side of the saw plate and 40% gets carried out in the gullet  ;) now thats for vertical saws and when you dont use the optimum feed speed it dose not matter all that much ;) But when you flip that onto the horizontal I think things change slightly as gravity takes over I use to use slightly heavy sett on my band mill i had and never had any dramas with sawdust packing   but i also used buggger all water/lube either ;) :) :D

Regards Chris

Chuck White

My guess would be a combination of set and lube flow.

If you don't have enough set it can happen, and then add to much lube and it will get worse.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

limbrat

Thank you very much gentlemen but i digress. I got to looking at it again and it is low hp(13) with a drip tank, of course if i get to wet it will have a chance to form some paste on the side of the blade that catches the water. I should just expect to see it if i slow down for a knot or wide log or anything else that pulls my rpms down. once again thank you very much.
ben

Meadows Miller

well My band mill had only 9hp in the form odf a 2095 jonsered chainsaw motor but was up for anything Mate  :) ;) :D :D ;D

caveman

Just a thought.  If the cypress is fresh cut (green), it has a lot of moisture in it already.  Maybe you could try cutting a board or so without any water from your tank to see if you are still getting a saw dust paste and if your blade will stay cool and clean enough to cut efficiently.  Caveman
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!