iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to load a big log on to a woodmizer...

Started by Slingshot, October 29, 2011, 10:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slingshot

beenthere

How to load, or how not to load? That is the question.

Just was waiting for the guy to get crushed when that log rolled toward the tractor.

That WM mill is tough !!

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

schmism

Ive watched my share of mill vids on youtube....

why does that WM sound so weird.... like the theath of the band are constantly cutting on metal?
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

woodzy88

That looked a highly dangerous way of loading a log that size and I thought it looked a bit rough on the mill. When we do things like this we only get away with it for so long until one little thing goes wrong then someone get badly hurt or killed. Not for me , I say work safe an use the right equipment for the job and stay alive. 
woodzy88

Meadows Miller

First Time I have seen an LT80 Must be building them in Europe   :) :)  ??? ;)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

T Welsh

Pushin it to the limits is my call! WM are tough, but I don,t take mine that far or hard. if it wont lift it by itself,I will help it with the loader (gently) if it will hold it,I will load it. then comes the point will I be able to get through it. I wont push a machine past it limits, because when you do that it costs money or headaches. I have had the Woodmizer off its back supports trying to lift a log up of center, if the log lift will pick it by itself,it gets sawn if not, how much are you paying! cause I,m near the breaking point. Don,t abuse your equipment, all it does is cost you in the end! Tim

Bibbyman

That's just crazy!   I bet none of those guys own that mill.

Yea,  LT80.  Note the two axles and three loading arms and extra length.  I think they could saw up to 27'.

Yea, Europe.  They had two in the USA.  One they gave away to a mission in Africa and the other set behind WM in Indy for a long time until they finally (I'm told) cut it up for scrap.  They decided they didn't want to market them in the US.

Pictures taken at the Wood-Mizer 20'th anniversary party in Indy.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Slingshot

Bibbyman;
             I had never heard of the LT80 when I ran across this one on U-tube. I did a search
on the forum and saw where you and  some others discussed them in 2007. And saw
where Arkansawer was wanting one back in 2002. You also mentioned an LT60.
     I thought it was a monster of a saw and built to take what those guys dished out to it. smiley_bull_stomp

Peter Drouin

I would never abusd my mill like that , they cost to much :o :o and no log is worth that much. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

I thought that the whole process was scary, Halloween scary.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: Slingshot on October 30, 2011, 10:40:28 AM
       Bibbyman;
             I had never heard of the LT80 when I ran across this one on U-tube. I did a search
on the forum and saw where you and  some others discussed them in 2007. And saw
where Arkansawer was wanting one back in 2002. You also mentioned an LT60.

sling_shot

The LT80 is just a stretched LT70.  More of everything.  It even had cant hold-downs. 

The 16' length version of the LT70 was going to be an LT60 and maybe is so in Europe.   I think they've even dropped the LT30 (16' cut length) - if they build one today they'd probably call it an LT40.

I think WM USA wanted to standardize on the number of frame configurations.  That's my guess. 

We can get YouTube on our TV through our Roko adapter.  I found the channel for these guys.  They have a bunch of uploads.  Many for loading this same log.  Looks like they tried a lot of things.  At one time it looked like they tried using a cable being pulled by the chain turner somehow.

Note too that it looks like the shield on the drive side is cut out.  Wonder why?

It would be plenty dangerous enough but add in the wet snow.  I know how that makes everything more slippery.
Sawing since '94

Chuck White

I thought I was reading "LT80" when I watched the video's at 5:30-6:00 this morning.

I think that when loading the log onto the mill in that manner, I'd have liked to have had that back-blade raised up to stop the log and take some of the force off of the back-stops.  I could just about visualize that log cleaning all of the backstops right off the mill.  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

Heck, I load stuff that size on my old manual mizer rather frequently. BUT, it's usually pine, not quite that heavy and I don't have a hydraulic loader. . There's a set of metal ramps comes with the manual mills. Using them it's fairly easy to parbuckle big logs up onto the mill. I don't pull them with the tractor, I use a hydraulic winch that just happens to be mounted on the tractor.   If you watch the video of them sawing that big log, you can see one of the big advantages of the cantilever head. One small notch chainsawed out of the side of the log, versus having to slab off the whole side of the log to clear the head.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

MartyParsons

The caption should say "why men live shorter lives".  :o
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

redbeard

Was there anymore videos of the log being turned by its own turner, or did they use the tractor again, I sure wouldn't want to put all that force on the mill frame it was coming off the ground. That log should have been quartered  with a chainsaw.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Ianab

We cut logs that size quite often.

My solution, leave the log where it is, and bring the mill to it.

Woodsy's solution - get a bigger tractor  :D

Either way, easier AND safer.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bibbyman

Quote from: redbeard on October 30, 2011, 06:20:37 PM
Was there anymore videos of the log being turned by its own turner, or did they use the tractor again, I sure wouldn't want to put all that force on the mill frame it was coming off the ground. That log should have been quartered  with a chainsaw.

Here is the link to the YouTube channel that the videos are on.  I see some 9 of them.  Some are only a few seconds long and you can see what they were trying didn't work!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sosenkatartak#p/u
Sawing since '94

Brian Moore

Can you say " Future Darwin Award winners".   Not if but When!

logboy

I'm with Ianab.  Leave the darn thing on the ground and saw it with a swing blade.  No one gets hurt and no equipment is destroyed. Or find someone to chunk it into 10" thick slabs with their slabber and saw those on your bandsaw.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

woodzy88

A friend of mine runs a lucas mill and a mahoe. He had a customer that had used a big russian helicopter to extract Rimu logs out of the bush to a flat paddock . there was still only limited access to the area and he dragged his lucas mill in with an atv . the logs were scattered around this paddock just as the chopper had left them. He just dragged the mill around on some 10 x2s from log to log and milled them up leaving stacks of timber and the waste and sawdust behind him . These were big heavy logs up to 5 tons and he milled the lot with only a timber jack to level the odd log and no other machinery. The timber was the got out to the road by atv and trailer. And from memory there was 50 odd logs so quiet a feat :) ::) 8)Just shows what can be done with the lucas mill , I intend to buy one to comliment my Mahoe.
woodzy88

logboy

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you like your Mahoe? I'm wondering how it compares to my Lucas.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: logboy on October 31, 2011, 07:42:30 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but how do you like your Mahoe? I'm wondering how it compares to my Lucas.

They taste like grits.  Put a little butter on them and serve hot.   :D
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

The LT80 is some monstor of a mill.  Kind of like two mills mixed together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SbLu-oNeuU

In this video you can see it has 2 clamps, 4 back supports, at least three roller toe boars and one power roller to move log forward/back on mill.  It has a chain turner and claw turner. Two axles, three loading arms.  It also has a spare tire mounted in the frame.  There looks to be an odd cutout in the drive side door. 

The debarker looks like it's mounted different?

There looks to be an extension cord set up to run to the head.  I wonder if it's running the debarker?  It seems to be a lot more aggressive than our DC debarker.

Anyone figure out what country they're in?
Sawing since '94

Peter Drouin

I don,t know what country, but I would buy an 80 If they sold them here :o :o :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!