iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forced air application for the OWB

Started by Jack72, October 29, 2011, 07:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack72

Hello Everyone

I getting ready to order/purchase a e-1450 I currently have a forced air furnace. 
   Does anyone out there have this setup only with their OWB (just the coil and the water heater.)      I'm curious if this system works good or am I going to have to add hot water registers?    If I do add hot water baseboard heat also do I need a boiler to do this application or just a water heater.    I hope someone out there can explain what I need to make this work right.                           I hope this makes sence    Thanks
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

mrwood

I just hooked mine up and started this winter,  works wonderfully. I have a 140k btu heat exchanger in my hot air plenum. I Used angle iron to build a shelf to support the heat exchanger and wired a thermostat up to my blower. I love it, it is definitely hotter air coming out of the register versus my fuel oil.

martyinmi

Jack,

Your OWB dealer will be able to talk you through the whole process. In a nutshell, you'll need the OWB, pad of cement for OWB, pump, insulated pex, trench for insulated pex, a means to bring said pex through your foundation or crawl space, a pump, a few dozen valves, elbows, clamps, etc., a water to air heat exchanger for your plenum, and a handfull of other items that most certainly will pop up.
   Do yourself a favor and study up on wood gasification before you buy a gasser. They are awesome units, but they require more maintenance and wood quality needs to be better than non-gasser units.
   Unless you will do the complete install your self, you can typically figure on adding anywhere from 20%-50% more than the cost of the OWB for all of the incidentals.
   What you plan on doing should be quite easy. Lots of CB users on this site, and even a few of us P&M people who will be happy to give you our opinions.
   Have fun, and keep us all posted.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

thecfarm

I did the same thing mrwood did with my furnace. I also put a heat exchanger in my basement to heat it.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jack72

First thanks for your reply (Martyinmi )  and from the others  
I was planning on doing all the install myself    I built most of the house anyway besides the framing so I know I can handle the coreing of the concrete, the pad the trenching,pex etc.   I was just curious if anyone out there had this setup  seems like most have existing boiler or some type of water heat.       I know I can always add the hot water heat later if Im not happy with just the coil/forced air  which I hate when I built it  at the time of building it just wasnt in the funds to put a boiler in and hot water heat in the floor obvious much cheaper with forced air especially when you have a friend that does sheetmetal for a living.(if you know what i mean)      To answer your other question I need to go with a gassifier because I do have neighbors and I dont think the regular classic that smokes constantly would be a good idea.    I know the gassifer does smoke but not as much as a classic.    Ive been pretty lucky I have all the access to get free wood all the time and its usually elm,oak,cherry hedge you name it so that should not be a problem either. I have pile out there now that Ive been splitting at on anticipated on getting this stove for next year.   I have a fireplace now so if going to be doing that I want to get something out of it instead of going up the chimmney.      Thanks again   Jack  
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

mrwood

Quote from: thecfarm on October 29, 2011, 08:17:40 PM
I did the same thing mrwood did with my furnace. I also put a heat exchanger in my basement to heat it.

Wow that surprises me that you needed and extra heat exchanger. Now granite it has only been down to 40 here but if you walk on my basement you are sweating just from the water pipes alone.

chevytaHOE5674

My house has a forced air furnace. I have a heat exchanger in there and use a second thermostat to to trigger the furnace blower and a Taco Zone valve in the heat exchanger. Works just like the propane furnace does only it doesn't burn expensive propane haha.

thecfarm

I have no idea how much water lines or how hot your water is, in your cellar,but I need this exchanger in mine.I also heat my hot water in the summer time. I burn mostly stuff I pick up off the ground in the grown up pasture I'm clearing to heat the hot water.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!