iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabbing Job

Started by logboy, October 28, 2011, 12:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logboy

Did a bit of slabbing for a customer yesterday. The largest crotch was around 51" wide.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Tom L

what is the guy going to make out of it,
nice looking stuff.

another ? how does your mill work. is there a chain blade on that long bar?

logboy

The customer makes high end rustic furniture.  I cut them with my Lucas Dedicated Slabber. It runs a 190 DL super skip ripping chain run by a 16 hp B&S.  It has a 60" cutting width and 20' cutting length.

woodzy88

Hi
Nice job, What type of tree have you slabed here ?
woodzy88

logboy

Walnut, Cherry, and White Oak.

metalspinner

The sun is shining, thegrass is green, and it looks warm.  What's with the heavy coat?

That is some beautiful walnut. I can almost smell it through the computer screen.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

logboy

Warm? Only when the sun was shining. It was 45 degrees or so. At one point large sleet/snow was falling on us. The Walnut smells great, it just doesnt feel very good coughing it up for the next day. Cutting that wide doesnt produce much by way of big shavings. But it does make a lot of fine sawdust that is great for inhaling and sucking in the engine.

Marc Thornton

You need a dust mask for you and the engine.  :)

logboy

The problem is at that temp a mask fogs my glasses up so I cant see. I tried two different masks but couldnt see a thing. I need to figure something out or find some anti-fog stuff.

cypresskayaksllc

When that happens to me I put the bridge of the glasses over the bridge of the mask. But I dont wear prescription so I dont know how that would work.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Papa1stuff

Put  up a fan to blow away the dust ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

WH_Conley

For anti-fog, a tip from an eye doctor. Not to endorse a particular product. Lemon Pledge. Not the cheap stuff, the brand name. It does seem to help, helps with some small scratches too.
Bill

Bothy_Loon

That is some bonnie stuff you are milling.

paul case

Quote from: Papa1stuff on October 28, 2011, 02:59:51 PM
Put  up a fan to blow away the dust ;D

And a heavier coat n long johns!!!! ;D :D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

T Welsh

logboy, I,m jealous! the first slab would come home with me,great grain and figure. Tim

WDH

What beautiful wood and a fine job milling it!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Collima

Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

Meadows Miller

Gday J.R

I didn't know it was you Mate ;) :) Top job on the slabs I remember you saying you had a couple of slabbing jobs to do after the shootout  ;) I am starting one in the morning a couple of Gery Box logs  about 3 and 4' dia at the butt just some rough ugly ones out of a blokes back yard but hes wanting 3" and 4" thick slabs about 10' and 12' long outa them to make furniture and bar tops out of Mate  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

WDH

There is practically no sapwood in that walnut.  Amazing.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ironwood

Sapwood is thin, but some/most is discolored due to an older log, you can see where the bark has fallen off in the pics. If you mill right as they get cut it all remains creamy white/tan (as near his chest in one pic). Sometimes I like it white others, (if consistant) I like it aged. I have some aging here here now. I NEED to get milling!

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WildDog

Nice slabs there Logboy :)

QuoteGery Box logs 

Chris what's "Gery Box" mate ??? We get White, Yellow, Brown and Grey Box up this way, could it be a code name for Grey Box ;)

Rob
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Meadows Miller

Yeah Rob could be code for grey box  ;) :D ;D we get red box,yellow box the grey box and Bastard Box down here  Mate ;) :D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

cornbread

beautiful wood and a fine job

logboy

Chris,  I'm not sure if you have run into this problem before, but I have been having issues with the Oregon 27RX ripping chains.   I was told 10 degrees for the filing angle and 75 degrees for the cutting angle.  After realizing my chains are not cutting nearly as fast as they should be I did a visual comparison to a new chain I had. Not even close.   I found a copy of the Oregon Chain manual and looked up the specs and it turns out that 75 degrees is the side plate angle, NOT the cutting angle (I was told wrong by the seller). The cutting angle is actually 50 degrees. Have you experimented with any other cutting angles to see what cuts faster?

Thank You Sponsors!