Scored a 038 Super

Started by islandlogger, October 28, 2011, 10:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

islandlogger

Saw a post on our community board says:

038 Stihl for sale
$75
$100 if we haggle

Well, needless to say it cought my attention and I dialed the given phn number on the spot got ahold of the lady selling it: does it run? Yes runs just fine, to heavy for her anymore. I said I'm not hagglin but just wonder why your sellin it so cheap? She says Stihl shop offered her $75 on a trade in and she decided to just sell it local. When can I pick it up? She says it's in her truck and she will be in my area in ten mins....

I'm now the proud owner of one of Stihls other legends, it fired right off and seems good and tight and well taken care of, going to put it thru the paces today and find a place for it in the crummy...

Yee-hawww!!

islandlogger

lumberjack48

Thats one of the best saws Stihl made, i had a 038 Mag i use as a landing saw for 8 years, it sawed many thousands of cords up.
When i quit logging i sold it for $200

That was the buy of the day for that 038  8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

I think the supers must have been the lesser models made as far as numbers .I only recall ever seeing a few .It seems the AV's and Mags were the most produced in numbers with perhaps the mag being the most which is still sold I think as the  380 although not in North America.

I have three myself ,one Av and two mags .

Al_Smith

Let me mention something here .The two weak links on that saw which in every other aspect is a great saw are the AV mounts and the filter .

The AV mounts allow a lot of flex which makes them pretty smooth running .However if stretched to limit like on an uphand cut they can fail which will stretch the intake boot and likely cause a failure .Often it's the back top mount on the left hand side that fails .It's often so little of a tear in the boot it can be hard to detect but you'll know it because the saw will run out lean if in the right position .Doesn't take much .

The filters given enough time will suck the flocking out and just a little hole in that flocking can allow enough dirt into the system to scuff the intake side of the piston .If suspect the filters are still available through a dealer .I think there's some after market but I've never tried them .

sawguy21

I spent too much time changing mounts on the company 038's, otherwise a fine saw if a bit heavy. If it runs good and the oiler works you got a DanG good buy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

A little bit on the 038 series .These models have been labled by some as the best hot weather saw Stihl ever made .For whatever reason they seem to preform better than most under extreme high heat conditions .Why I have n o idea .

In addition for those so inclined to tinker they are very easy to modify or enhance the preformance of .They make enough after market kits for them you could just buy a bolt on P and C if you wanted to at a fraction of the cost of OEM parts .

Even if not they make a dandy firewood cutter just as they came with nothing done to them .Some may talk about being heavy,trust me they don't know what heavy is . :D

Thank You Sponsors!