iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 441

Started by jd540b, October 26, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd540b

I was a diehard 044 owner-best saw ever made.  Have had two new 441's and don't know if I got lemons or they're junk!  Neither ever seemed to run right, seem super flimsy and light keep breaking them...silly stuff chain brake handles-actualy pulled the handles right off my newest one (enough to crack the tank).  They are used hard I cut 20-30 cds/week but for the $800 +/- price tag, I won't be buying another one.  My buddy uses Jonsereds and has had great luck with them-been using two of his and think I'm going to make the switch.  Wondering of anyone elses opinions of the new stihls 441's???   

Al_Smith

Now a cord could mean a lot of things .You have those Michagan cords of wood about 16 feet long and you have Ohio firewood cords being 16" long cuts .A lot of difference there in cuts .

The few 441's I 've ran seemed to do okay but they were used in the tree service work not as fellers or firewood cutters .

islandlogger

I to am a die hard 0-44 fan, one of the best saws of all time and should never have been discontinued!! I still run mine after 18 years, it's had some re-builds but still pulls chips like a new saw and I've used it professionally in every application imaginable. I thought of getting a 441 as a new back up, heard enough negative things about them that I shut the door on the thought, going with the 460 instead. Interestingly the head mechanic at the main Stihl dealership strait up say's "the only professional Stihl saw that is worth any kind of thought is the 460, 660 and 880, everything else is for weekend warriors..."

Heres to running my 044 till the end...long may she live!!

islandlogger

Al_Smith

Yes no doubt the 044/Ms 440 has quite a following so much thatwhen Stihl brought them back in limited areas they jacked the price about a hundred over a 441 .One reason perhaps is to sell more 460's knowing how big biz operates .Sneaky rascals .

T Welsh

JD, newer saws are not like the older saws of the 70,s and early 80,s. If you are not happy with the 441 trade them in. I too love the 044 have 2 of them. one we just found at the local Stihl dealers used saw shelf. walked by it and yelled at manager and said whats it going to take to walk away with this! he also had a 064 there too! he wanted 1k for both,499 for 044 and 599 for 064. told him I,ll give you $800.00 cash right now for both. I took me another half hour before I handed him cash. and I am happy 8). I,ll take and older Stihl before a newer one any day. Tim

Thank You Sponsors!