iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Bags

Started by 250quality, October 25, 2011, 07:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Maurice your repeated posting of essentially the same link over and over is beginning to look a lot like spam. Especially noticeable are that these are your first 4 posts. Legitimate or not, you only have to mention it once. There must be more to talk about than firewood bags.

I guess it's been taken care off. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CRThomas

Quote from: 250quality on October 25, 2011, 07:06:22 AM
Is anyone using bulk firewood bags rather than piling? We do about 40-50 cord a year for re-sale and looking to get away from piling. Trouble is most people up here that use processors don't pile it but just put it in a heap to dry. (Yea right!) If the consumer see's it piled you can't keep the stuff in the yard and I don't want to ruin that.
The apache bags hold about 1/3 of a cord and. just wondered ho well it would dry in such a thng. Sure would save a step in the wood buisness.
Thanks
Brian

CRThomas

I use Dino bags and they will let firewood dry they are about ten dollars a bag the hold one rank dropped in I order them 10 at a time keep about 30 full all the time.

Tom L

I know this is an old thread, but I too have started using dino bags this past spring and have been happy with them. full load on my processor deck, then move the tractor over to the end of the conveyor and hang a bag on tractor forks, just under a half cord per bag, just at the limit of what my tractor can lift. the best thing is that I never have to pick up a piece of wood by hand. just load up a bag and move it over to a pallet
drawstring the top and leave it there. cover 4 bags with a small tarp weighted on the corners . wood has been drying nicely this summer, and is ready to go for the winter

glassman_48

I have the bag system also, I went to a logging show and the vendor selling them told me that if you put green wood in them they would be ready for the wood stove in 40 days.  I still cannot believe that, I dont have a moisture meter but when I do I will check the moisture content.  I usually bag up about 50 pallets each summer when I dont have much to do.  Last winter I sold every bag I had and I was getting 50 bucks a bag.  The bags cost me about 8 bucks each and are supposed to last 8 to 10 times. 

beenthere

I can't believe that putting wood into a bag would speed up drying as it would certainly limit airflow. I'd expect some mold but will be interested in hearing how the drying goes "in the bag". 

"ready for the wood stove" means a lot of different things to a lot of people. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Quote from: glassman_48 on September 15, 2014, 05:23:21 PM
I have the bag system also, I went to a logging show and the vendor selling them told me that if you put green wood in them they would be ready for the wood stove in 40 days.  I still cannot believe that,

And I'm sure you are right not to believe it. Drying time will vary by species, but if you want to be burning properly seasoned wood, 40 days from the time it's cut and split is not going to be "ready for the wood stove" -- unless you are planning on putting that bag of wood in a kiln to dry.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

blackfoot griz

I am trying a different variation of the firewood bag.  I bought a 1000 ft roll of netting that is 56 inches tall.  I built a 4' x 48" tall hinged frame to wrap around the pallet.  I take the netting and staple a tack strip around the base and fold the netting over the top of the pallet and clamp it.  Once the pallet is full, I take a strand of baling twine and loop it through the top and cinch it up.  So far so good.

beenthere

A pic or three showing that variation would be great to see.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

blackfoot griz

Quote from: beenthere on September 19, 2014, 01:54:29 PM
A pic or three showing that variation would be great to see.  8)

I am 30 miles from home...playing phone tag w/Magicman who is wandering around Montana!
I will post some pics this weekend.

CRThomas

Quote from: 250quality on October 25, 2011, 07:06:22 AM
Is anyone using bulk firewood bags rather than piling? We do about 40-50 cord a year for re-sale and looking to get away from piling. Trouble is most people up here that use processors don't pile it but just put it in a heap to dry. (Yea right!) If the consumer see's it piled you can't keep the stuff in the yard and I don't want to ruin that.
The apache bags hold about 1/3 of a cord and just wondered ho well it would dry in such a thng. Sure would save a step in the wood buisness.
Thanks
Brian
I use Dino bags they about $10.00 a piece you can order 1 or 100 wood will dry the way there vented I stack them on pallets to keep them off the ground and to make them last. Some of mine our 8 years old. The wood in some of the back bags is 8 years old. I check them no mildew the wood is under 15 percent but that is our average moister percent in my area.

labradorguy

Does anyone know how much wood (16" splits) one of these Dino bags holds?

rjwoelk

Google potato bags . They are vented. We have been using them from the start. Built holder frame to hold the bag and just process into them. 53 cubic ft. Set them on a pallet for drying. Would never stack by hand. We charge 15 for the bag , they get a 10 credit on their next order.

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

labradorguy

I was looking pretty hard at trying the Palax Packer and Motti bags but there is just no dang way I am going to pay $520 for that "specially designed" Motti rack. If they were smart, they would give out the plans for the rack and sell more bags.

Thank You Sponsors!