iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Tom Would Say - - WTWS

Started by beenthere, October 24, 2011, 08:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

WTWS

In memory of Tom and in light of his clever wisdom and way with words that most of us have grown accustomed to hearing over the years on the Forestry Forum, maybe we can cultivate his logic as the FF moves on even without Tom (in itself not a pleasant thought  :(  )

Jeff and DanG have already alluded to WTWS in a couple posts.
And I'm sure I will recognize times when I will look at a situation or a problem and recall WTWS.
Maybe others here will as well, and use WTWS to reinforce their position.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Neat idea BT, or as Tom would say, "Good show." :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin

When I posted pictures of my winter cutting he would always comment on the blue sky and say, I wish I was there.
In a way he always will be because I'll always be thinking of him when I'm there, under that bright blue winter sky.

WH_Conley

I am not near fluent enough with words to even try. One of the greats as a narrative writer.
Bill

asy

I've kept all my chats with Tom, and, when we were talking about Nailhead's passing Tom said this:

As much as we think we are in  control, there is one thing that keeps us all humble.  That is "when we go".

I think that sums up the situation...

L.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Holmes

I was sitting on Toms porch talking about the Forestry Forum and Tom said "do you know what I really like about the Forestry Forum?" and I interrupted saying good people , great information and so on and he said no  " I get to use my own name, Tom"  :)
Think like a farmer.

Gary_C

I don't often delete my messages and this one is certainly a classic Tom message that I think will be alright to share with everyone.

Gary,
Thanks for your input on the certification thread.  I hope that it won't be your last.

My purpose for this thread is to get people to pay attention, read, know what is going on in their government and how they are going to hold their own again.  If you read the USDA, USFS, and other landowner organization alphabets, you will read all manner of tongue in cheek threatening remarks and how one is trying to protect you from the others.   It's a political football that has made its way to Washington.

Landowners of all sizes need to get themselves involved.  Foresters and those trained in the management of lands have a responsibility to the landowners/industry to be involved.  Yes, we all need to be orgainized.  I hope it doesn't turn into a Teamster Union where there are a handful of people taking money from the masses in a "protection" scheme.  I hope it doesn't turn into another SPIB either.  An Industry (private) organization that is so powerful that county and state governments use their rulings as law.

As Foresters, Landowners, sawyers, loggers and processors, we all need to get involved and start talking with one another.

This isn't the first time I've tried to get folks to talk.  I'm even trying to make them mad enough to come to the posts and have even advertised it on another topic.  What I get are two Canadians who are willing to talk about their situation.  Certification in Canada isn't the same as in the USA.  They are structured differently than we are, politically.  I want us to start talking.

Yes, I'm certified.  I've been certified by two organizations.  It had to be done for the Tax Authority to allow me an agricultural rate.  That's because the Tax man doesn't know how to judge and is biased if did.  Certification has its place.  I think that we have to be careful or the output side of the industry is going to have the input side jumping through all kinds of hoops.  You think that tree sitting  and equipment burning is bad.  Wait until they get the Government behind them.  The danger in certification is that the certifiers begin to rule.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

CHARLIE

A favorite word Tom liked to use was "conundrum".  He'd say, "What a conundrum this is!"  or "That's a conundrum."   Another thing he'd say about me is, "Why you little Whippersnapper!" 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Piston

Holmes,
He said the same thing over the in "how'd ya get your username"  ;D 

Quote from: Tom on December 12, 2004, 02:02:06 PM
I don't know why but my Granddad on Dad's side was assigned the name as a reverence to family history.  He gave it to his boy who turned out to be the one that made me and he assigned it to me.  Now I've tacked it onto my first-born.

There were a lot of nicknames I could have used but I had the chance of a lifetime.  I got envolved with the forum when there weren't many users and took advantage of the opportunity to use my real handle.   You can't do that just anywhere on the Net.  I feel pretty special to be me. ;D

Beenthere,
I think "WTWS" is a really neat idea  ;)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Holmes

" I slipped and fell on my bohunkus"  :D   Tom wrote that in one of his stories about saw milling.  I had not heard that term in decades.
Think like a farmer.

Magicman

I will always cherish the PM's that Tom sent me.  Always lending a helping hand without ever being heavy handed.  He was justifiably proud of the Forestry Forum.

"Well thankyou.  I wasn't being personal, just following the opportunity of a line in the thread.

I think that we all do it, but now and again, a reminder for the sake of the new people on the block, who have't experienced the society built up over the last ten years.   It's real tempting for them to bring the habits of other forums to the forestry forum, not realizing that we have such a good thing going."
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Weekend_Sawyer

Tom and I were talking about a word he used in a post "Gibletized" I told him I thought it was a made up word and for fun I dropped it into a couple of threads.

His reply:
"Yep, chipped up into small and smaller pieces. 
After you began proliferating the verb I googled it too.  I didn't find anything.  I thought I had coined a term.  "
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!