iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS362C How long of a bar?

Started by MNBobcat, October 24, 2011, 09:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNBobcat

Hi Guys,

I have a stock Stihl MS362C.  I've got some red oak trees down that are probably 24 inches across or better.  I currently have a 20" bar. 

Originally I was thinking about buying a bigger saw, but now I'm thinking I should potentially get a longer bar.  Wondering what your thoughts are and if I go with a longer bar what length I should consider?  I don't know what this saw can handle.

Thanks! 

celliott

You can cut a tree up to twice the working length of your bar.  You should be able to cut through both sides with the 20".  I cut up a huge 40"+ DBH maple for firewood with a 20" bar on a 357XP.  Took a long time,and I had to roll the log and cut it 3 times.  You don't HAVE to have a bigger bar or saw. Unless you really want a new saw  ;D sounds like a legitimate excuse to me.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

JohnG28

Stihl's website says it's rated for up to a 25" bar.  I have a 24" I occasionally put on my 361 and have had no problems.  It will handle it fine, although not as fast as a larger saw.  I would say give it a shot, a new bar is much cheaper than a new saw, although a new saw is more fun. ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

MNBobcat

I've cut big trees before using the same technique of working from each side or working from one side but sort of angling the saw around the far side to get as deep as possible.  It works, for sure.   :)

I'm on the fence.  I'm not very happy with the saw.  I hate those stupid flippy caps.  The oil cap works fine but the fuel cap takes 2  - 3 tries sometimes to not have it pull out when you flip the top to tighten.  I much prefer a plain old screw on cap.  My saw has the tool-less chain adjuster too and I don't much like it either.  Seems to throw a lot of chains.  I've concluded when it comes to saws that simple is better.

I've only ever owned Stihl.  Not sure how the husqvarna compares, but I'm definitely giving one some thought.  :) 

beenthere

Quote from: MNBobcat on October 24, 2011, 12:59:48 PM
....................... I hate those stupid flippy caps.  The oil cap works fine but the fuel cap takes 2  - 3 tries sometimes to not have it pull out when you flip the top to tighten.  ............

Never have experienced the "2 - 3 tries", and find the fuel works the same as the oil. No problem with either one. Sorry for your frustration. In between fill-ups, how does the saw work?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JohnG28

I have had issues with the caps on occasion also, doesn't seem to be any reason for it, just happens.  I just get them on if it does and get to sawing.  I would have opted for regular chain tensioner though, the tool less ones don't seem right to me.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!