iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a JD Forwarder Model, and Have Questions About the Bogies

Started by twinotter, October 23, 2011, 02:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinotter

Quote from: mad murdock on January 15, 2012, 08:23:18 PM
All I can say is WOW twinotter! That is some awesome modeling you got going on smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
I can't wait to see the forwarder in action! BTW, your handle wouldn't be in reference to a DHC-6 by chance? Just wondering.

Thanks!  Yup, twinotter is in reference to the DHC-6 twinotter.  Dhc6twinotter is the username I usually go by on other forums, but not sure why I went with the short version here.  I'm never good at picking usernames, so I just go with the name of aircraft.   :D

mad murdock

I had a suspicion ;)I worked in bush Alaska for a few years, worked on the -200 and -300 'Twotter.  Great aircraft.  Got a chance to fly a few times in a re-engined DHC-3 (big russian radial and 4 bladed prop), that was a FUN plane, and quite a HOSS!  How long does one of the LEGO creations take to build?  I find it quite incredible the level of detail and realism that is present in your models!  Thanks for sharing your craft on the 'Forum. :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

twinotter

The time depends on the model.  I just got back into LEGO after finishing school, so I'm still in the learning process.   My tractor was my first model, and that took probably 70 hours or so.  Everything on it had been rebuilt at least once, and some of it I rebuilt about 20 different times.   The backhoe took about 80 hours or so, but that is much, much more complex than the tractor.   The little radial engine with variable pitch prop I built took about 7 hours.   I usually only get 1 or 2 major project done in a year.   I watch very little TV and don't play video games, so this is pretty much what I do on my downtime (along with posting on several forums). 

I've never had a chance to fly on a real Twinotter.  Back at my old place, a local parachute outfit used to fly one out of a grass strip down the road.  They'd buzz the trees around the house sometimes.   Very cool planes.  I think they are using a Sherpa now, but not sure. 

I'd like to build a few aircraft too.  Grumman Avenger is at the top of my list, and I'd like to build a P-38, B-25, and a DHC2 Beaver on floats as well.   They would include working flight control surfaces, and whatever other functions that particular plane has. 

I'll post up some progress pictures in a few days. 

Thanks!
Daniel

Thank You Sponsors!