iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a JD Forwarder Model, and Have Questions About the Bogies

Started by twinotter, October 23, 2011, 02:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinotter

Hey all,

So, I'm a newb here and just joined to ask about the bogie axles on the John Deere 1910E Forwarder.   

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I'm building a LEGO Technic model of this Forwarder.  The plan is to make it remote controlled with pneumatics instead of hydraulics.

Anyways, my question is about the bogie design.   How is power transferred from the differential to the wheel hubs?  Is there a chain, idler gears, axle shafts, or some other method?  If I understand correctly, these bogies have portal hubs also.   How much additional clearance do the portal hubs offer, and is there any gear reduction in the hubs themselves?

I think that's about all the questions I have for now.  Sorry about the juvenile questions.   ;D

Thanks!
Daniel

Taylortractornut

Daniel  dont be embarrassed about asking a question on here,  especially about legos lol.  Im 32 and I have my old Techic sets out i nthe welding shop.   I use mine for working out angles and pivot points in machinery I build.
My overload permit starts after sunset

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Jamie_C

Axle from differential out to bogie housing, gear reduction in each hub ... at least thats the way all the B, C & D machines were.

twinotter

Thanks for the welcome!  This seems like a friendly forum.

Jamie_C, once the axle from the diff enters the bogie housing, how is power transfered to the hubs?  

I know some road graders use chains in the bogie housing, but I'm not sure if it's the same setup in forwarders.

Thanks,
Daniel

furltech

The old 1010 had chains in the first bogie style then they changed them to a gear , but the new stuff is gears .

semologger

welcome to the forum. I also still have alot of legos have passed them down to my kids now.  but when they come out i usualy sit in the floor playing with them longer than the kids do. Im 34 years old.

amberwood

My son is three, and just discovered the bucket of my old lego under the spare bed. I am now reminded of how painfull those little blocks are in bare feet. Yes I play with them as much as he does.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

twinotter

Would I be correct in assuming that the newer, non chain driven bogies use idler gears inside the bogie housing?  Or does the gear on the end of the axle shaft mesh directly with the gears in the hubs?

Thanks for all the help guys!   It's nice to see there are some LEGO builders here.  ;D  I'm 28 and just got back into LEGOs a couple years ago after a 10 year break.  My youtube link under my username has some of the other projects I built.

This project will probably take me a few months to complete, but if you all would like, I can post a video once it's complete.  

Thanks,
Daniel

Jeff

Absolutely. Looking at your other creations, I have no doubt that the forwarder will be pretty cool to see.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dom

Yes, the bogie uses idler gears.
If I remember correctly, the Rottne SMV bogie had 6 idlers per side. The hubs had they own bigger gears connecting to the idlers, and the differential had its "medium sized" gear in the bogie as well to distribute power. Total of 9 gears in the bogie. I could be wrong on the 6 idlers, I can call a friend quickly to find out if you want.

Rottne purchased its bogie from NAF, and so did most manufactuers, so I would imagine JD to have a similar concept.

tjdub

twinotter

Thanks!  That diagram is perfect.   I should be able to build something similar, with similar gear ratios. 

It looks like there is a planetary gear set where the axle from the diff enters the bogie housing.  I'm going to try to incorporate this into the model too, but I may not have space.

Thanks for the help!

twinotter

tjdub, would you happen to have a diagram for the bogie end of the axle shaft?  I'm trying to figure out what the planetary gear set looks like, if it even has one. 

Looking at the diagram, having the sun gear in the bogie and the ring gear bolted to the bogie housing would mean the planet gears would be attached to the end of the axle shaft.  That doesn't make sense since that would result in an increased gear ratio.  I must be looking at things wrong, or there is a more complex planetary gear set.  Or maybe I'm just over thinking this.

Anyways, I've got half a bogie built, with the gears setup very close to the diagram.  I just need to build the part where the bogie connects to the axle shaft, but I need to figure out if I want to do a planetary gear set in there.

Thanks

twinotter

Nevermind, I'm not going to have room for a planetary gear set.   ;D

tjdub

If you change your mind, you can view any part diagram you want here:

http://jdparts.deere.com/

Just click in the link "John Deere Parts Catalog" on the left, then type in the Model.

twinotter

Awesome, thanks!

I found this diagram which does show a planetary gear set at the end of each axle.  It's interesting because it looks like it is basically a double planetary set per side, but each planetary set appears to have the same gear ratios.  I'm not sure exactly what the point of this is, since it appears that the planetary input and output shafts would spin at the same speed.  It looks like there are some clutch packs in the axle housing too, with must have something to do with the planetary gear sets.  I'm not sure what this setup is used for, but I find it intriguing. 

Anyways, I just thought it was interesting.   I'm not going to have room for this setup.

Thanks!

furltech

Piston

QuoteThe plan is to make it remote controlled with pneumatics instead of hydraulics.
Will you have some sort of small pressure tank or compressor mounted on it?  Sounds really interesting. 

I'd love to see a picture of your project when it's complete (or before ;D)

I've often thought of building an RC scaled logging truck with loading grapple, similar to the scale RC trailer truck rigs you can buy/build.  I don't think I have that kind of patiences/skill though.  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

twinotter

Quote from: furltech on November 01, 2011, 04:53:19 AM
The clutch packs are the brakes
Well, that's some fancy brakes!  I never looked to see how the brakes on heavy machinery were built, and I always assumed they used drum or trans brakes. 

Quote from: Piston on November 06, 2011, 04:31:50 AM
QuoteThe plan is to make it remote controlled with pneumatics instead of hydraulics.
Will you have some sort of small pressure tank or compressor mounted on it?  Sounds really interesting. 

I'd love to see a picture of your project when it's complete (or before ;D)

I've often thought of building an RC scaled logging truck with loading grapple, similar to the scale RC trailer truck rigs you can buy/build.  I don't think I have that kind of patiences/skill though.  :D

I plan on mounting several pneumatic compressors on the model itself.  I'll have a 9v motor driving 4 compressors, and I'll also rig up a pressure switch to turn the motor on/off as needed.   I do have some small air tanks I can use, but I'm not sure I will have room.  The boom, jib, grapple, dozer, and retractable step will be pneumatic; and the boom slew, cab swivel, grapple rotate, jib extension, and drive will be electric.  Steering will be built using some linear actuators driven off a motor. 

I used a single air compressor (no tank though) and pressure sensor on my Case Steiger tractor I built:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yWnUYdXLtA

I will be using a similar steering setup as well.  I'll post a few pictures once I get a bit more work done on the forwarder.

Thanks,
Daniel

twinotter

I thought I should update this thread.   I'm making some progress, but I haven't had much time to work on the forwarder.   The chassis is almost complete, and I've been able to include planetary gears in each bogie.  I've got a bit more work on the chassis, then I'll be moving to the boom.

I have another question though.   Does the boom base have sideshift capability?  What are the cylinders in this picture for?  Are they some kind of hydraulic cylinders?  Picture is the base of the boom.

Thanks!

Jeff

I'm not positive, but would bet that is the double  hydraulic rack and pinion assembly that turns the boom. The racks slides back and forth in those housing, turning the pinion. A rack on each side of the pinion gear, moving in opposite directions to turn the gear/boom.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Like Jeff said, and here is what is inside (to skew, according to jdparts).

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

twinotter

Thanks!  I've been in a debate with a guy who claims that it is part of a side shift, but I haven't seen any evidence of that in any research that I've done.  You guys have just confirmed what I was thinking.   

That's an interesting skew mechanism.  Pretty cool.

Thanks again!
Daniel

mad murdock

All I can say is WOW twinotter! That is some awesome modeling you got going on smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
I can't wait to see the forwarder in action! BTW, your handle wouldn't be in reference to a DHC-6 by chance? Just wondering.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!