iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much should I be charging for Kiln Service

Started by VA-Sawyer, January 24, 2004, 06:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA-Sawyer

I believe that most bandmill sawyers are getting $.25 per bf ( give or take a nickle ) for sawing. What are you charging for kiln service?  Does the charged rate depend on the type of  kiln ?
VA-Sawyer

Frank_Pender

Out here Va-Sawyer, I get $.50 a board foot.  I use a Taylor hotwater furnace with a heat exchanger and a Ebac 800 inside of a 24' refer trailer, that I converted to kiln use.  With the cost of electricity always on a constant rise, I may have to raise my rates in the not to distant future. :'(   the cost for a month runs about $100 + or -.
Frank Pender

VA-Sawyer

Frank,
For comparing purposes what are you getting per bf for sawing ?  What I'm really trying to determine is are you actually charging twice as much to dry as you are to cut ?
VA-Sawyer

Frank_Pender

Yes, VA.  Mostst hardwoods run from $00.235 to .245 a board foot.
Frank Pender

oakiemac

Hey Frank, as a side note to this post, how do you load your reefer kiln? Cart, forklift, or by hand? I'm in the process of designing my kiln but want one that is easy to load. The reefer truck is a great idea but how easy is it to load and unload?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Frank_Pender

Oakimac, I designed and build two 9' dollies to load the lumber onto, outside the kiln.  The dollies roll onto a portable platform outside and I load with a set of forks with a quick disconnect on my John Deere 5300 loader.  the lumber is all pre stickered befor the loading process bwegins. I sticker all umber to be kiln dried at the time of sawing and let air dry for at least 30 to 60 days before going into the kiln.  

For putting the dollies back into the trailer, I bolted an single 4" block at the head of the trailer and runa 1/4" cable through and back to the dollie.  I thenn pull the other end with the tractor and whoosh the dollie is inside and ready to place the second inside, after loading.
Frank Pender

ronwood

Frank_Pender,

What do you do with lumber that is longer than your dollies?

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

karl

Frank- how did you determine the size/type of your heat exchanger inside the kiln? I have an outside boiler to hook up to mine- just need (cheap) exchanger.
I'm almost embarassed to tell what I've been getting to dry-
$155/1000 for 4/4 pine to $270/1000 for 8/4 maple - hope some others chime in- love to raise the rates!
Nyle 150 w/ oil heater to reach temp.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Paul_H

Karl,
I charge $300 cdn per mbf.We don't have the dolly setup yet so the wood is all hand bombed in the kiln.It is a slow way of doing things :-/

I just went and checked the exchange rate and $300 cdn is $224 US ???
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

Ronwood, if I have lumber longer than the dollie, it may only be up to 1 1/2' over each end (12' material).  That will tell me how long the material can be on the second dollie.   The second dollie may only contain material no onger than 10'.

Paul, as to the determination for the size of exchanger, that came about due to the fella from whom I purchased my Taylors.  When I bought the first furnace I was also adding onto the house with two rooms, one on tope of the other, 24' x 24'.   We had to have something to help keep that part warm as we were working and befor the radiant system was attatched for the cement, lower floor.  At that time I told the dealing to just add it onto the price of the furnace and leave it here. ;D  I had decided to install it in the kiln trailer upon first view.  It is in a package that is 8" thick and 30" square.

Paul, with that kind of time involved etc and your electric costs I sure would raise you fees, unless you wish to  work for free. :'(
Frank Pender

Paul_H

Frank,
Unfortunatly that is all the market will bear around here.The electrical costs are around $50 a load on average(1500-2000 bf)

The cart will be setup once I move the kiln over to our property in the Spring.

Frank_Pender

Paul, what sort of timeline you you running for your Fir loads as well as what is the board footage per load?
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

This sunday will be two weeks on this load of 250 bdft of Grand Fir.  The fee is $.50 a bdft and will be $125 for the two week run.  I have also run some 3 x 7s (about 175 bdft) with the load.  Two different customers.  That makes for a total of $232.50 for the two weeks and my costs for electricity will run about $45.00, not counting the value ofthe wood, which would amount to about $25.00 at the most becausethe majority was small scrap and dry cleanup.  I often burn just sawdus during the day and solid wood during the evening and night hours.

With this load, my profits are really low du to the species and the total amount of board footage.
Frank Pender

Paul_H

A load of 1" usually takes a full week including setting the pitch.Most loads have been around 1500 bf and are sitting at 18-23% when they go in.The first load I ran was 8 days before setting pitch but I realized afterward that I was misreading the moisture meter, and the MC ended up at 5-6 % instead of 7-8%

I ran 1800 bf of 2" lumber and I was surprised that it didn't take much longer than the 1". I turned out fine but I would think it should take at least twice as long???

One thing else about that load Frank was,I threw in a 3x8 x18' on top of the load of 2" and it did check on one side a little bit.Now I'm afraid to mix different thicknesses because it seems that the RH dropped too fast for the thicker piece,and there was still moisture inside the board.

Does anyone know if this makes sense?

Frank_Pender

Paul, that could well be the case.  What I do with those sizes place them a bit lower in the pile if at all possible, when you have only one or two pieces, to deal with in the load.
Frank Pender

oakiemac

Frank,

Can you post a pic. of your dollie setup? I'm having a hard time visulizing it. The way i'm looking at things is your reefer is setup off  the ground by 2-3' ,(or is reefer at ground level) so how does the dollies get up onto the reefer? Are they on tracks or wheels? Also do load the reefer so that the lumber is length wise going with the axis of the reefer?
Thanks
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Frank_Pender

Oakimac
  What I did was make the dollies out of 4 x 6 Oak for across the ends and two across the middle.  The rails along the sides consist of 5/4  x 6 Oak with one row  down the middle; two nailed  on the top and two nailed together on the bottom of the 4 x 6's.   At each place there is a 4 x 6, I took some railroad tack type wheels I acquired from some prune dryer dollies.  These wheel have a 3/4" hole in them into which I placed a solid cold roll shaft.  Each shaft has four wheel; one on each side and two in the middle, with the two in the middle being only about 8' apart.  Each dollie then, has 4 wheels with a total of 16 wheels.  

The deck for the inside of the trailer is 3/8" steel hence the steel wheels.   I had started out wanting to useing 2"  mine track for the dollies to ride on.  It got to be tooooo much of a problems laying out the track and welding it to be in line with the outside moveable ramps.  

I hope this helps in your imagination.
Frank Pender

oakiemac

BBTom

I built my kiln, but have often thought that it would have been nice to get ahold of a refer container,  would be a bunch easier.  I built my own kiln cart, which can be seen at http://www.maplewood-farm.com/kilncart.htm.  I like Franks cable idea, think I might just borrow that one, Hey Frank, are you charging royalties for using your idea??   :)

I am charging .30 for drying, same as I charge for sawing.  That price includes the stickering. I have found that I cannot trust the customer to sticker right, and if it doesn't dry right it is my fault.  So I charge enough to pay for stickering too.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Frank_Pender

As I beleive I have mentioned before, I sticker the lumber as it comes off the mil.  It makes it so much easier for me at that time.  Less handling.  I place the lumber on large pallets and locate it where it will air dry for a certain amount of time, usually about 60 days in the summer months and hopefully 90 in the winter months.  

Speaking of air drying, a friend and I spent part of last Saturday going through Gary Goby's Walnut operation, lumber and nursry.  He lets his Walnut air dry for at least a year per inch before it see the kiln.  He indicated that he get to wood down to approximately 18-19%.  Mayby I have been doing some things incorrrectly?  I will have to spend some individual time disucssing his methodology and mine? :P

As to the royalities, you can have all the knowledge you are able to extract from this old retired educator. :D

Frank Pender

oakiemac

Frank,
Just out of curiousity, what did you teach before retirement? ???

Frank_Pender

Oakiemac, I was the meanest and toughest teacher in the county for 30 years.   8)  I tought 7th Grade: Social Studies (Western Civ.), English and Literature. :P  My oldest students are now pushing the 47th year of their existance and the youngest are Juniors in high school. :-/
Frank Pender

oakiemac

Frank,
You're a man of great patience if you taught school for 30 years ;D ;D

Frank_Pender

Thank you Oakiemac.  The children were a piece of cake  8)(German Chocolat).  It was the bureaucratic "stuff" that was the real challenge for most of those 30 years. >:(

Oakiemac

How are coming in making a decision on what to charge for drying? :P
Frank Pender

Mike_Doolittle

Hi frank!
I realize this is an old thread but I thought I would bring it back up to the surface.  Hope all is going well for you.  I have just started up a DH kiln and was wondering how you account for drying time on a BD FT price?  I have heard of some charging $35 per day to be fair going from say white oak to fir.
Let me know your thoughts.
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!