iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking of buyin a Woodmizer.

Started by Taylortractornut, October 21, 2011, 09:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylortractornut

I have a friend that has a 90's Woodmizer.  I forgot the  number but its got a 20 foot track, power raise head,  Hydraulic log turner and loader and bed.      He has well cared for the mill which he  set it up as a stationary mill.    It was sent to the factory 4 years ago and reconditioned.    He and I were talking about  being busy   and he  couldnt sell his other business and was behind in the sawing.      I was offered the mill, blades, and sharpener for 12,500 dollars.     Im  trying to balance it all out  in my head to see  if I could make a go at it.   It may also come with a  Savannah   side loader off his truck that was reconditioned.

Right  now  most mills are set  up as stationary around here and  Ive heard alo get ithauled the savings are gont of folks with wood but no way to haul it and after they  get transport arranged it often is cost prohibitive. 

I had a friend that  had a portable mill one time and did good  at it but  he drank it away.      He  offered a good service.  He  would  bring the mill out and even fall and skid the logs with his tractor.    He did well even doing  it on the evenings and  saturdays.

My overload permit starts after sunset

zopi

Sounds like a good price if the mill is sound...

If you have not sawn before...do not try to jump right i.to business...take the mill amd run around...scavenge a few logs, saw for yourself for a bit...the business will come...yes, if you saw, they will come...and from the wierdest places..

It is an addiction...if you saw one, you will saw thousands.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

paul case

I have been thinking along these same lines.
smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Taylortractornut

He stays  busy with his mill, He has a ton of  logs from the spring storms.      Im looking at building  CSM for ripping, I had talked about it with the owner of the WM.       I have milled a good bit  with the  owner as  his placeis o my way to and from work.  Ive traded  logs from the landfill  for learning the milling trade.     I also  probably could get a good bit of sawing at work to.    Im only scared off by the new baby comming in a few months. 

Meadows Miller

Gday

Taylor sounds like it could be a goer as it sounds like a good and well taken care of mill with everything you need including a sharpener which will be handy with some of the logs you will be sawing Mate  ;)  ;D 8) Zopi Talor's got access to Plenty of Logs Mate  :) :)  ;) :D :D :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Chuck White

Buy a mill with a loader, turner and toe boards and 3/4 of the bull-work is gone.

I know I wouldn't be without the hydraulics and the debarker.

One of the former owners of my mill added the debarker.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Taylortractornut

Chris  your righton the  logs  I took in 5 nicepines yesterday at work.    I even got some blow downsfrom a storm on the property there.       Im in on the fence moneywise,  Wallace stays busy with is mill  hes running out of energy running his cafe and the mill.   He only mills in the evening and   a few days per week. 
Chris I got the bug really bad watching you and  Tim   mill that  White oak the other day.

Chuck it has the loader  turner and toeboards all hydraulic.     Hes even willing to let me  run the mill a few weeks  in the evenings to  learn the basics on sawing.   Hes drowning in saw logs from the april storms and said they go with the mill.             Im already set up with a skid steer andfew other machines.     

Chuck White

Thats good that the seller has offered to let you have a couple of weeks of "hands-on".

You'll catch on quick.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Banjo picker

He does have a lot full of logs...mostly pine it looks like...and they need to be sawed asap...I am sure you will have some bluing in the lumber...but it won't hurt it structrually...If I didn't have a market for it, I think I would cut them into cants and sticker them...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

zopi

This sounds like a no brainer...pull the trigger.

There is alot of nuance to sawing, but it is not rocket surgery...you can produce good lumber pretty quick, amd if the seller is going to mentor you some...so much the better...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Taylortractornut

Tim  you  recon thered be any portable work available in this  area,   As for the    pine    I got the stickers  . Wallace was asking about canting them for storage the other day.         

Banjo picker

Taylor I think a fellow could pick up some portable work if he would get the word out....One of our members over around Fulton does some protable...wwsjr....I don't know if he comes up here much or not...There are several other mills here in the county...they are just mostly setting idle, but you never know when they will fire them up...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Meadows Miller

Gday

I think Willy is planning on keeping the mill at home more often and just getting people to haul logs to him these days apart from a couple of good customers  thats the way I took it when we where up there visiting him Tim ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

wwsjr

Guys, I do not plan to go mobile except for maybe one customer. I sawed 14,000 BF for him the only time I moved in the past year. I probably will not take any new sawing jobs except at home. I have about 75 ton of cypress, a couple of loads of SYP and several 5-6 logs jobs on the yard now. 

I have turned down several jobs that wanted me to move, several in north Itawamba County probably near your location. I would be glad to give you referrals. I don't think anyone is sawing regularly anywhere in Itawamba County except me. I know about a couple of WM manual mills who saw part time. I have referred several small jobs to them.

Taylor, come down for a visit, Tim has my cell number or I will PM to you.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Taylortractornut

I talked to the banker and  my payments  would be around 250 to 300 a month.    I figure if I can saw  that per month.    What I plan on doing  is like I bought my  excavator  steam cleaner.  Every penny they  made went into payments and upkeep and fuel.    Now theyre paid off.       

I hope to only work part time  evening  and weekenstuff.    I have a full time job now almost pure gravy lol. 

zopi

Two to three hundred...at around a quarter a board foot, factoring in mill maintenance, should come up to two or three days of productive sawing a month...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WH_Conley

Hit it hard for 2-3 weeks and rathole the money, if things get slow, you are doing something else for a month, make the payment out of that. Same effect, just a little buffer.
Bill

Taylortractornut

I believe Ill pull the trigger worst thing I would have to do is sell the mill in a tight,  actually I think I could pull this off lol.   I couldnt get the log truck in the deal but the bed was offered.     I found out one of the plants that we haul for the owners son just bought 144 acre farm.    He  is wanting some barn lumber and  has some nice logs.   

I just got an eyroll off the ole lady, she asked it it came with car seat lol 

redbeard

My sawmill fever lasted two years she finally gave in.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

pasbuild

This thread should have been titled I GOT ME A WOODMIZER ;)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Taylortractornut

Ive almost talked myself out of the mill.   My workwill be slowing  down bit and   I didnt have enough comfort zone right now with income and the  new baby on the way.    Im about to pay off the skid steers so if I  can do that  Ill pull the trigger.      THe owner wants to finish up  his   promised work atthe moment.    I did mill with it several hours the other day and  enjoyed it.   I m  learning alot working with him.       Ive got a little better set up for handling the logs than he does.    I have about 3800 pounds of aluminum to scrap so the  loader may be paid off quiker than I thought.      He says he stays about 5 loads behind sawing.   

Larry

The what if's always made me a bit uncomfortable.  I wished for maybe 5 or more years before buying my first mill in 94.  I took the time to save up and pay cash.  Now when I think back it was a mistake...should have borrowed some and got a hydraulic LT-40 instead of the manual mill.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

paul case

Quote from: Larry on November 05, 2011, 08:51:02 PM
The what if's always made me a bit uncomfortable.  I wished for maybe 5 or more years before buying my first mill in 94.  I took the time to save up and pay cash.  Now when I think back it was a mistake...should have borrowed some and got a hydraulic LT-40 instead of the manual mill.

Are we twins from another state? That is right where I am at. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

customsawyer

If you are wanting to make a living with the mill then get one with hyd.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

zopi

Dunno man...go for it...I get the nervy part about keeping the family fed...but if the current owner is backed up work, I would say you are onto a good thing.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!