iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buzzards and satellite TV

Started by doctorb, October 20, 2011, 08:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

Lost 90% of my DirecTV reception a couple of weeks ago.  Been through all the tests.  Everything points to a malalignment of my dish.  I figured that it was from all the high winds we had in September.  Wrong.  I noticed about 3 weeks ago that a group of buzzards had taken a liking to my roof, chimney, and dish.  I was away last week, my wife says they've been roosting there for the last 3-4 weeks for part of the day.  Toady, my deer hunter confirmed that they spent quite a bit of the morning sitting up there doin' nothin'.

The DirecTV guy is coming Tuesday to realign the dish.  What's the lifespan on these buzzards?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

pigman

Try not to hit the dish when you shoot.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sprucebunny

And don't stand under the eaves when it rains for a while !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

Buzzards are protected, aren't they ???. 

Uh oh  :).

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: doctorb on October 20, 2011, 08:35:44 PM
................  What's the lifespan on these buzzards?

It would be some short, if sittin on my dish. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Quote from: doctorb on October 20, 2011, 08:35:44 PM
  What's the lifespan on these buzzards?

Depends on what hits them!  The 3 S rule applies here.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

iffy

Have you tried taking a shower? ;D

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doctorb

Yes, turkey buzzards are protected under the Migratorty Bird Act of 1918.  I am not one to take a member of a protected species without some thought.........OK, that's enough thought.  If they want to remain protected they better get some kevlar feathers!

Jeff

I would think you should be able to rig some sort of deterrent up to stop them from landing. Maybe a couple of  Mylar helium balloons might do the trick.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Patty

We had a problem with birds in our garden. They would land on the posts that support the tomato plants and then poop all over my nice ripe tomatoes.  >:( >:(   To solve this problem, I bought a pinwheel for each post and taped them on. The birds couldn't land on the pinwheels and had to fly away. Problem solved! I think the spinning pinwheels made enough noise to keep the deer away as well. So now the deer are over in the orchard snacking on apples, and rubbing all the bark off my trees. Grrrr.  >:(   
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

isawlogs

Patty , apple pie after a venison supper would be in order  ;) :) digin1
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Taylortractornut

Google Farmtek and growers supply.    THey sell stuff to gardeners and farmers and  other building types.     They  have a whole section on bird deterents.   My favorite is a tape that has  positive and negative leads in them and  can be charged.      Works on crows good.    Another thing a friend did was   soften a carpet tack strip and  screw it to the  rim of the  dish.     

Theres an old house next to the easment of the landfills drivveway.    THe old house had a window left open on it and  some roosted in it a few weeks.   I was in a Mack comming out and the  buzzard was flying out headed for  my grill.    He wasnt gaining any altitude and  the buzzard barfed all over my  shiny   Mack.    After he unloaded he flew over the truck and dumpster both.   Nothing kills  the mood for lunch and regergetated armadillo.    After that we put up fishing  cord across his path.
My overload permit starts after sunset

WDH

Doc,

At least you gave it some thought  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Reddog

Google Bird spikes They work well to keep them off perch areas.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: isawlogs on October 21, 2011, 06:58:09 PM

Patty , apple pie after a venison supper would be in order  ;) :) digin1

Venison makes the best minced meat, use some of those apples to. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

We have those turkey vultures making their way up here the last decade or so. They compete with the raven. I'd rather have the raven. ;) I must say, I have never seen a raven or vulture on a dish before. Someone might be throwing out food scraps nearby and this is their view point.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ellmoe

Constant harrassment will usually send them off to another roost. If left alone, your roof may become the favorite gathering place. If there is any "attractive" aromas in the area it will increase the appeal for these avian garbagemen (excuse me, avian sanitation engineers!). I had a flock of 100+ try to establish a roost in my yard. Running them off several times a day, (yelling, running at them, bb's, etc.) finally sent them down the road. (sorry, neighbor).
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Burlkraft

4 and 20 turkey buzzards baked in a pie.............
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Rocky_Ranger

Quote from: ellmoe on October 22, 2011, 07:19:12 AM
   Constant harrassment will usually send them off to another roost.

Hasn't worked for me yet - I'm still employed :D
RETIRED!

Coon

Take the eye off of your dish and sit there with the 12 guage and pepper the SOB's when they come to roost.  They will get the hint one way or the other.  ;D  Them sucker will even eat the bear bait we put out in the spring....  >:(
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ellmoe

Quote from: Rocky_Ranger on October 22, 2011, 10:56:18 AM

Must be a guberment worker!  ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

Rocky_Ranger

Quote from: ellmoe on October 22, 2011, 02:55:52 PM
Quote from: Rocky_Ranger on October 22, 2011, 10:56:18 AM

Must be a guberment worker!  ;D

I resemble that remark 8)
RETIRED!

doctorb

Well, to end the story of the buzzards and DirecTV.....all the buzzards survived.  Turns out I had a dead deer down in the gully below my house, and they were using my satellite dish as a rest stop between meals.  I found one old carcass, and one newly dead small fawn, and moved the bodies well away from the house.  I couldn't smell them from the house, but obviously the buzzards could.  Anyway, the DirecTV guy replaced some worn out stuff on my satellite dish, so it wasn't the buzzards roosting that created the problem after all.  Live and let live, now that I have NFL network again.

Jeff

beenthere

Lions are sleepin in this weekend.  ::) ::) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Yea, I might have to watch da packers.

WDH

The Lions were always a favorite team of mine.  They really got it going now.  Watch out, Pack.

Thank You Sponsors!